Print

 		 [What The New Yorker Ads Tell Us; AOC Trumps You-Know-Who;
Interactive TV; Your Phone is a Cinch To Find; Natalie Wynn]
[https://portside.org/]

 MEDIA BITS AND BYTES - JANUARY 21, 2019
[https://portside.org/2019-01-22/media-bits-and-bytes-january-21-2019]

 January 18, 2019
Portside

	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?url=https%3A//portside.org/2019-01-22/media-bits-and-bytes-january-21-2019&text=Media%20Bits%20and%20Bytes%20-%20January%2021%2C%202019]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2019-01-22/media-bits-and-bytes-january-21-2019]

 _ What The New Yorker Ads Tell Us; AOC Trumps You-Know-Who;
Interactive TV; Your Phone is a Cinch To Find; Natalie Wynn _

 Natalie Wynn, Photograph by Kate Warren for The New Yorker

	* What Ads in the New Yorker Tell Us About the American Oligarchy
 	* Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is A Perfect Foil For The Pro-Trump Media
 	* With Interactive TV, Every Viewer is a Showrunner Now
 	* I Gave a Bounty Hunter $300. Then He Located Our Phone
 	* _ContraPoints_ Is Political Philosophy Made for YouTube

What Ads in the New Yorker Tell Us About the American Oligarchy
[https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/02/understanding-the-psyche-of-todays-american-oligarchy-through-magazine-ads]

By Thomas E Ricks
December 2, 2018
The Guardian

The New Yorker’s news columns shed light on the state of the nation,
but its advertisements speak to the state of our culture.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is A Perfect Foil For The Pro-Trump Media
[https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/charliewarzel/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-is-a-perfect-foil-for-the-pro]

By Charlie Warzel
January 7, 2019
BuzzFeed News

Both use the same online playbook — to starkly different ends.

WITH INTERACTIVE TV, EVERY VIEWER IS A SHOWRUNNER NOW
[https://www.wired.com/story/netflix-interactive-tv-every-viewer-is-a-showrunner/]

By Peter Rubin
January 21, 2019
Wired

Netflix is handing back the reins via choose-your-own-adventure
experiences it’s calling “interactive content.”

I GAVE A BOUNTY HUNTER $300. THEN HE LOCATED OUR PHONE
[https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/nepxbz/i-gave-a-bounty-hunter-300-dollars-located-phone-microbilt-zumigo-tmobile]

By Joseph Cox
January 8, 2019
Motherboard

T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T are selling access to their customers’
location data, and that data is ending up in the hands of bounty
hunters and others not authorized to possess it, letting them track
most phones in the country.

_ContraPoints_ Is Political Philosophy Made for YouTube
[https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/01/contrapoints-political-philosophy-natalie-wynn-youtube/579532/]

By Clifton Mark
January 6, 2019
The Atlantic

In her lushly produced videos, Natalie Wynn brings a rare skill for
rational argument and emotional persuasion to one of the most vicious
battlefields of the online culture wars.

	*