Print

 		 [Reader Comments: Time for Federal Workers to Get Sick; LA
Teachers Win!; Dr. Kings Radical Internationalism; Attacks on the
Women’s March; JVP - On Zionism; Time to Break the Silence on
Palestine; Angela Davis Supported; Bernie Sanders; and more...]
[https://portside.org/]

 TIDBITS - JAN. 24, 2019 - READER COMMENTS: TIME FOR FEDERAL WORKERS
TO GET SICK; LA TEACHERS WIN!; MLK'S RADICAL INTERNATIONALISM; ATTACKS
ON THE WOMEN’S MARCH; ZIONISM; PALESTINE; ANGELA DAVIS; BERNIE
SANDERS; AND MORE...
[https://portside.org/2019-01-24/tidbits-jan-24-2019-reader-comments-time-federal-workers-get-sick-la-teachers-win-mlks]

Portside

	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?url=https%3A//portside.org/2019-01-24/tidbits-jan-24-2019-reader-comments-time-federal-workers-get-sick-la-teachers-win-mlks&text=Tidbits%20%20-%20Jan.%2024%2C%202019%20-%20Reader%20Comments%3A%20Time%20for%20Federal%20Workers%20to%20Get%20Sick%3B%20LA%20Teachers%20Win%21%3B%20MLK%27s%20Radical%20Internationalism%3B%20Attacks%20on%20the%20Women%E2%80%99s%20March%3B%20Zionism%3B%20Palestine%3B%20Angela%20Davis%3B%20Bernie%20Sanders%3B%20and%20more...]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2019-01-24/tidbits-jan-24-2019-reader-comments-time-federal-workers-get-sick-la-teachers-win-mlks]

 _ Reader Comments: Time for Federal Workers to Get Sick; LA Teachers
Win!; Dr. King's Radical Internationalism; Attacks on the Women’s
March; JVP - On Zionism; Time to Break the Silence on Palestine;
Angela Davis Supported; Bernie Sanders; and more... _

 Tidbits - Reader Comments, Resources and Announcements - Jan. 24,
2019, Portside

Re: It’s Time for Federal Workers to Get Sick (IV WORDS; Mike Glick;
Faye Tardiff; Darlene Hanlon; Eric Johnson)
Mexico Will Pay  --  cartoon by Lalo Alcaraz
Re: Billionaires vs. LA Schools (Jenny Hampton)
Re: Smaller Classes, New Community Schools in Tentative Deal to End
the LAUSD Teachers' Strike (Diane Laison)
Re: Dr. King's Radical Internationalism is More Important Than Ever
(Laura Lynch)
Re: Martin Luther King Jr. Was More Radical Than We Remember (Al
Young; Barbara Lukeman; Mark Gillespie)
Re: Attacks on the Women’s March Expose Race and Class Bias Among
White Jews and Progressives (Joy Schulman; Leonard J. Lehrman)
Re: Our Approach to Zionism (Fred Jerome; Joseph Kaye; Susan Vago
Webb; Disraelly Gutierrez Jaime; The Progressive Caucus of Mid
Michigan)
Re: Time to Break the Silence on Palestine (Francine Podenski; Enrique
Pizarro Hernández; William Leffingwell; Damian du Plessis; Rosemary
Morales Urbina)
Re: The Philosophical Roots of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s 70 Percent
Tax Plan (Maria Angeles Zavala)
Re: The Scott Warren Case is Part of a Crackdown on Aid to Migrants
(David Pearce; Rose Ferris; David Frazer)
Re: Portside Readers Respond: Angela Davis and Birmingham; Confronting
Right Wing Attacks Against Women of Color in our Movement (Kathleen
Jones Orington; Zackari Daoust Santoro; CJ Bergstrom; Linda
Prinzivalli)
Open Letter to the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute (Rebecca Fadil)
Re: ‘We Will Not Be Bullied into Silence’: Over 350 Scholars and
Civil Rights Movement Veterans Speak Out in Support of Palestinian
Rights and Angela Davis (Dr. Victor Rodriguez; Miguel Tamargo)
Re: Let’s Talk Bernie 2020 - Should Bernie Sanders be the Left's
presidential candidate in 2020? (Our Revolution; Dieter Sauerwald)
Re: EPA Criminal Action Against Polluters Hits 30-Year Low (Dean
Kratchmer)
Re: Rosa and Karl - 100th Anniversary (B Fearn; Staughton Lynd; Mary
C. Heller‎)
Re: Why the Working Class Matters (Dave Armishaw; Carlos-Antonio
Pérez; Scott Marsden)
Re: Why Hollywood Sucks: They Don’t Make More Movies Like ‘Vice’
(Scott Banks)
An Open Letter to Our Comrades in the UK About Brexit (Bill Shortell)
Wright State University Faculty on Strike (Randi Weingarten)

RESOURCES:

THE SOCIAL POWER OF MUSIC (SMITHSONIAN FOLK WAYS RECORDINGS)

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Student Activist Applications Available for 2019/20 (Davis-Putter
Scholarship Fund) - Deadline is April 1, 2019
People's History:  America's Untold Stories Workshop - Haldeon, NJ -
February 27 (American Labor Museum)
A Wall in the Holy City? Join the All Eyes on Jerusalem Delegation to
Palestine/Israel - Apply by March 15 (Eyewitness Palestine)
National Mobilization to Oppose NATO, War and Racism - Washington, DC
- March 30
International Peace Movement Building Conference - Washington, DC -
April 2

RE: IT’S TIME FOR FEDERAL WORKERS TO GET SICK

The people have power. They should use it. #EndTheShutdown
#WheresMitch

IV WORDS [https://www.facebook.com/iv.words.blog/]
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

SICK OUT! SICK OUT! SICK OUT!

Mike Glick
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

You need something like the Winnipeg 1919 general strike

Faye Tardiff
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

It will take something like this.

Darlene Hanlon
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Just because [crooked] businessman Trump was in the habit of stiffing
contractors, doesn't mean Federal workers need to put up with that
sh't. Take a knee and send Trump into a fit!

Eric Johnson
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

MEXICO WILL PAY  --  CARTOON BY LALO ALCARAZ

Lalo Alcaraz
January 18, 2019

RE: BILLIONAIRES VS. LA SCHOOLS

It's surprising and scary to find out that the ultra rich are so far
along in their plans to destroy the public school system.

I really hope you can fight back and keep the right to free education
for all.

Jenny Hampton
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: SMALLER CLASSES, NEW COMMUNITY SCHOOLS IN TENTATIVE DEAL TO END
THE LAUSD TEACHERS' STRIKE

Education and unions - we can't do without either of them!

Diane Laison
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: DR. KING'S RADICAL INTERNATIONALISM IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER

It was Dr. King’s radical shift towards internationalism,
anti-capitalism, and anti-imperialism that frightened those in power
by challenging their ability to use alternate methods of control in
the post-civil rights era. Revered around the world for his leadership
in the Civil Rights Movement, by the end of his life Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr. had also radically expanded his political focus to an
analysis that included sharp opposition to “international
militarism, racism, imperialism and an unworkable capitalism that
makes the rich richer and the poor poorer.”

Laura Lynch
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. WAS MORE RADICAL THAN WE REMEMBER

King was a staunch antiwar activist and spoke firmly against U.S.
militarism in the Vietnam War. In an April 1967 speech called
“Beyond Vietnam,” King called the war “madness.” This was a
deeply radical and polarizing opinion in a moment when protests of the
war had begun erupting across the country in New York, San Francisco,
and Washington, D.C. In no uncertain terms, King articulated his
opposition to the war in Vietnam, saying, “I knew that America would
never invest the necessary funds or energies in rehabilitation of its
poor so long as adventures like Vietnam continued to draw men and
skills and money like some demonic, destructive suction tube. So I was
increasingly compelled to see the war as an enemy of the poor and to
attack it as such.”

Al Young
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Incredible article of MLK's true depth of understanding.

Barbara Lukeman
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Funny thing... if you keep seeing cops and others beating the shit out
of your people and jailing them without charge on a regular basis, if
you see little church girls getting blown up, you see your coworkers
beaten and murdered in the dead of night, you are spat upon and
screamed at continually, well that just might put you in a bad mood.
He was amazingly restrained considering all that.

Mark Gillespie
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: ATTACKS ON THE WOMEN’S MARCH EXPOSE RACE AND CLASS BIAS AMONG
WHITE JEWS AND PROGRESSIVES

I wrote this note on Facebook about a month ago, but I want to repeat,
and supplement, to support Jacobson's point. I find the Jewish women
who succeeded in splitting the NYC march very distressing. I grew up
in an orthodox Jewish family in Newark, NJ. Born in 1950, I was
hitting my teenage years when the Civil Rights movement was waging.
Influenced by that, and my personal experience of a deteriorating
school, as it became a majority Black school, changed me forever. It
was easy for me to support the Civil Rights movement: I  was morally
moved, and viewed it in my self interest as being part of a religion
that was historically persecuted.

Something that was clear to me at age 13, which somehow does not seem
clear to these objecting young Jewish women today, is that though Jews
had centuries of persecution in Europe, culminating in the holocaust,
the grouping that has endured centuries of persecution in the United
States is African-Americans. Their enslavement began in 1619 and
legally lasted for 250 years. A whole ideology of Black inferiority
was created to justify it, and that ideology supported Jim Crow after
the Civil War and is still alive and well today.  In Germany,
activities and speech condoning Hitler are outlawed. But here statues
of Slave owners and Confederate soldiers are still in the Public
Square, and many authorities resist them being taken down.

Without a doubt Trump's election has elevated anti-Semitism and is
responsible for an increase of attacks on Jews and the Pittsburgh
Synagogue horror. It is not productive to rate oppressions, but anyone
can see that Muslim bans, and stepped up deportations in Middle
Eastern and Mexican communities, along with condoning police abuse and
killing young men in the African American community is affecting
thousand of families; and Trump's personal history, abortion policies
 and the Supreme Court hearings is turning the clock back on the
women's movement.

Why with all this suffering going on around us would a person's
attendance at a Farrakhan rally be center stage? Its counter
productive and takes our eyes off the goals of our resistance. Though
I am a long time anti-racist activist, and have supported equality and
affirmative action for many years, I learned a new term this year.
That term is "White Fragility". It is what happens when person of
color tells a white person that what they did or said was offensive to
them. Instead of the white person listening to what the person is
saying, or apologizing,  for being offensive, they turn the subject
to themselves being upset for being attacked. Their emotional upset
dominates the interaction causing the original action or speech to be
unanalyzed and made invisible. I fear that what happened in the
women's march planning was "Jewish Fragility", and it served the same
negative role ie as a distraction from the main point---our main point
building resistance to Trump. There is a term in Civil Rights
legislation called immutable characteristics. It means you suffer
discrimination from things about yourself that you cannot change.
Being African-American, in the United States, is an immutable
characteristic that you cannot change; being a woman is also an
immutable characteristic. White people, white men especially are given
the most freedom in this society. No African-American man or any woman
would have dared get as angry as Brett Kavanaugh.

A 1967 article by James Baldwin stated, clearly, that Black
anti-Semitism is no more than Black anti-whiteness in response to
decades of negative encounters and mistreatment. The racial
discrimination in Trump buildings in the 1970's; and  the present
eviction rate and extortion in Jared Kushner's run down apartments
 in Maryland, bring on this response. Let's not get caught up in the
response that has no power behind it.  Let's fight for the end of
systemic mistreatment of African Americans, immigrants, and women
endorsed by state power, and   made so much worse by the election of
Trump

Joy Schulman

      =====

The Rewire article on the women's marches is interesting, but in
quoting an article from Haaretz, referencing a 1967 passage by James
Baldwin, it attributes said article to "Emma Goldman," when in fact -
as the link shows - the author is "Emma Goldberg"!

Emma Goldman died in 1940, though of course her words still live on.
 June 27, 2019 will be the 150th anniversary (sesquicentennial) of
her birth - the same day as the 50th anniversary of Stonewall.  Will
one commemoration eclipse the other? Hope not!  Emma was not a
proponent of rights for homosexuals per se, but she certainly fought
for reproductive freedom, serving prison terms for her convictions:
Anarchism, Birth Control, and Conscription Resistance. See
http://ljlehrman.artists-in-residence.com/EG.html
[http://ljlehrman.artists-in-residence.com/EG.html].

Leonard J. Lehrman

RE: OUR APPROACH TO ZIONISM

See also Einstein's comments*

[*see Einstein on Israel and Zionism
[https://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Israel-Zionism-Provocative-Middle/dp/B0048EL87S]]

Fred Jerome
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

An excellent analysis!  I would only add the class dynamic, which is
missing.  Zionism is a bourgeois-nationalist ideology -- a fact that
is disguised by its settler-colonial character, that is, it seems to
benefit all layers of Jewish society.  But Zionism is not really
about that tiny stretch of the land of Palestine.  It is about a
Greater Israel.  It is about expansionism, similar to the US conquest
of its West, in which the Arabs play the role of "Indians."   It is
not the anti-Zionists who threaten the Jewish people; it is Zionism
which bears the seed of the ultimate destruction of another Holocaust
-- this time in the Mideast.

Joseph Kaye

      =====

What is unclear to me is: Are they suggesting that Israel as a state
should not exist?

Susan Vago Webb
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Through study and action, through deep relationship with Palestinians
fighting for their own liberation, and through our own understanding
of Jewish safety and self determination, we have come to see that
Zionism was a false and failed answer to the desperately real question
many of our ancestors faced of how to protect Jewish lives from
murderous antisemitism in Europe.

Disraelly Gutierrez Jaime
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Best write up on Jewish/Palestinian Solidarity I’ve seen.

The Progressive Caucus of Mid Michigan
[https://www.facebook.com/ProgressiveCaucusMidMI/]
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: TIME TO BREAK THE SILENCE ON PALESTINE

Seems every time I speak out I am accused of being anti-Semitic

Francine Podenski
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

US intervention in Vietnam was a very big mistake with thousands of
young americans as war casualties. US did worst, what they criticized
or judged France was doing wrong in Indochina ( Vietnam, Laos and
Cambodia)

US must discontinue supporting Israel aggression against Palestine.
They could be repeating Vietnam.

Enrique Pizarro Hernández
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Palestine is, believe it or not, a little more complicated. Vietnam
was a case of America believing what it wanted to believe about a case
lasting less than a century. Palestine involves millennials.

William Leffingwell
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

The forced dispossession of the indigenous Arab population in
Palestine, as well as the continuing illegal occupation of an
increasing amount of their land has all occurred within the last
century. Not to even mention the militarily maintained oppression &
subjugation of the Palestinians on their land. Not complicated in
terms of international law, social justice or basic human rights.

Damian du Plessis
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

I have visited Palestine and the people are held hostage in their own
country. It's very sad.

Rosemary Morales Urbina
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: THE PHILOSOPHICAL ROOTS OF ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ’S 70 PERCENT
TAX PLAN

When the USA has turned into a society for the millionaires the vision
of going back to a fair state of affairs seems like communism. But if
the USA continues on this path the middle class will be no longer
exist as a great buffer for peaceful society. The millionaires are
richer but as a whole they don’t give back to society when it is
impoverishing the great majority of citizens.

Maria Angeles Zavala
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: THE SCOTT WARREN CASE IS PART OF A CRACKDOWN ON AID TO MIGRANTS

That’s ridiculous ! Have we lost our humanity ?

David Pearce
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

it’s been looking that way for a while. Who would rip children from
their parents and put them into cages

Rose Ferris
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

A year ago, two undocumented Central American immigrants who crossed
into Arizona from Mexico found themselves in especially dire straits.
The two immigrants, Kristen Perez-Villanueva and Jose Arnaldo
Sacaria-Goday, had dropped their backpacks containing food and water
while being chased by U.S. Border Patrol agents.

Their journey into Pima County, on the Arizona side of the border, was
high risk. More than 2,100 bodies of undocumented immigrants, many of
them never identified, have been found there since 2001, according to
the Pima County Medical Examiner’s Office. But like many other
immigrants fleeing violence and desperation, they were willing to
chance the brutal desert terrain.

After walking about forty miles through the southern Arizona desert,
the two immigrants finally reached the small town of Ajo, where they
were taken to “The Barn.” This is a building in town used by No
More Deaths, Ajo Samaritans, and several other humanitarian aid
organizations that provide border crossers with water and food.

The Barn, however, is where their journey came to an end. Border
Patrol agents arrested Perez-Villanueva and Sacaria-Goday, along with
No More Deaths activist Scott Warren, who is accused of providing them
with food, water, bedding, and clothes over three days. Charged with
harboring undocumented immigrants, as well as conspiracy to transport
and harbor them, Warren faces a maximum of twenty years in prison.

David Frazer
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: PORTSIDE READERS RESPOND: ANGELA DAVIS AND BIRMINGHAM; CONFRONTING
RIGHT WING ATTACKS AGAINST WOMEN OF COLOR IN OUR MOVEMENT

Who is making these decisions for the Birmingham Civil Rights
Institute?

Kathleen Jones Orington
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Not sure - but given that the Board’s Chair, Vice-chair & Secretary
all resigned in protest of this decision it is likely that future
decisions will be even more in this vein as the dissenting voices are
now gone from the board.

Zackari Daoust Santoro
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Even with me too movement, this is so blatantly racist and
masochistic.

CJ Bergstrom
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

She deserves to be honored, this is blatant racist crap.

Linda Prinzivalli
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

OPEN LETTER TO THE BIRMINGHAM CIVIL RIGHTS INSTITUTE

I had long planned to take my 12 year old daughter to Birmingham this
weekend, Martin Luther King weekend, to visit the Birmingham Civil
Rights Institute. Plane tickets have been purchased, hotel
reservations made, and parental ideas generated around how best to
leverage this teachable moment in sharing with her the darkness of our
country’s history along with the hopefulness of what is possible
through grass roots activism. It was also an opportunity to introduce
my daughter to Angela Davis, a strong feminist, writer, scholar, and
activist who would have been receiving the Fred Shuttlesworth human
rights award next month. Angela Davis is special to us because among
her many accomplishments and contributions, she has also chosen to be
a courageous voice for Palestinian Human Rights.

In the midst of planning and preparation for our trip I was shocked to
learn that the Institute had rescinded Davis’s award and canceled
the gala ceremony in her honor. This posed a significant problem for
us because my daughter’s father is Palestinian-American and her
grandfather’s family was expelled from his home in Palestine when
the state of Israel was created in 1948. My daughter has visited
Palestine several times and knows well the experience of check points
and segregation of separate buses and roads for Palestinians and
Israelis.

When I presented my daughter with our dilemma and asked her what we
should do— without hesitation she said, “we can’t go.” She’s
right. We won’t be visiting your Institute this weekend. We are very
disappointed. We’ll make use of what the city has to offer, we’ll
visit the 16th Street Baptist Church and Dynamite Hill. And we’ll
take heart in the City Council’s statement in support of Angela
Davis, realizing that the Institute’s decision does not reflect the
sentiment of the city of Birmingham.

Sadly, the Civil Rights Institute’s decision to rescind Angela
Davis’s award parallels the very circumstance that Martin Luther
King warned against in his 1963 Letter from a Birmingham Jail when
speaking about the “white moderate who is more devoted to order than
to justice.” It’s painful to see the Birmingham Civil Rights
Institute take the position of the white moderate, “who prefers a
negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace
which is the presence of justice,” where its leadership acted
cautiously instead of courageously. I can’t imagine Fred
Shuttlesworth approving of this decision and I can’t imagine this is
how the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute wants to be remembered.

Angela Davis’s support of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanction
movement was cited as a reason for rescinding the award. Davis’s
support of this non-violent movement, which protests and seeks to end
Israel’s 52 year occupation of Palestine, is a constitutionally
protected 1st amendment right. This movement was mobilized by
Palestinian civil society only after decades of failed peace plans,
confiscation of Palestinian land, demolition of thousands of
Palestinian homes, and the influx of hundreds of thousands of Israeli
settlers into that expropriated land. It strikes me as odd that a
consumer’s decision to boycott an Israeli product be considered
unjustly singling out Israel. In fact, Israel receives $3.8 billion in
US tax payer supported military aid every year. While it is certainly
true that other countries are guilty of human rights violations, these
countries do not have the financial, military and diplomatic support
from the world’s foremost superpower. It’s difficult to see how
the BDS movement is unfair when it is the government of Israel that
occupies a uniquely privileged position in the extent of US support
that it receives – seemingly without regard to its policies or
actions vis-à-vis the nearly 5 million Palestinians living under
Israeli occupation in the West Bank and Gaza, and the nearly 2 million
Palestinians living as second-class citizens in Israel itself. I’m
sorry to see the Institute succumb to the bullying that the
pro-Israeli government community effectively uses to control the
narrative around Israel and Palestine.

Rebecca Fadil,
Charlottesville, Virginia

RE: ‘WE WILL NOT BE BULLIED INTO SILENCE’: OVER 350 SCHOLARS AND
CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT VETERANS SPEAK OUT IN SUPPORT OF PALESTINIAN
RIGHTS AND ANGELA DAVIS

She will not be silenced!

Dr. Victor Rodriguez

      =====

"We may not all agree on the best way forward in the Middle East but
we do share Dr. Davis’ view that the Israeli Occupation is wrong,
and that the repressive, discriminatory and often violent policies of
the Israeli government vis-à-vis the Palestinian population are wrong
and indefensible. This is not a stance against the Jewish people, as
is sometimes erroneously suggested, and as evidenced by the increasing
number of Jewish people who are a part of the movement for Palestinian
rights. Rather it is a stance against the policies of the Israeli
government, and our own government’s immoral support of those
policies. This is one of the fundamental human rights issues of our
time, and we will not be bullied into silence on it."

Miguel Tamargo
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: LET’S TALK BERNIE 2020 - SHOULD BERNIE SANDERS BE THE LEFT'S
PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE IN 2020?

NEXT STEPS FOR RUN, BERNIE, RUN

Here are a few opportunities to get involved right away:

	* Join our Weekend of Action on January 26 and 27
[https://go.ourrevolution.com/page/m/2ba7a61d/bea70af/8026ce31/75fbb885/2922777803/VEsE/]
— Our Revolution has teamed up with Organizing for Bernie to bring
progressives together across the country. We are organizing community
events with the goal of asking new folks to step up and get involved
in the political revolution.

 	* Volunteer
[https://go.ourrevolution.com/page/m/2ba7a61d/bea70af/8026ce31/75fbb884/2922777803/VEsF/]
from home and join the Our Revolution Texting Team
[https://go.ourrevolution.com/page/m/2ba7a61d/bea70af/8026ce31/75fbb884/2922777803/VEsC/]
— thousands of volunteers across the country are texting our
supporters and urging them to sign our Run, Bernie, Run petition. You
can get into the action right now by signing up to join the team (all
while wearing your pajamas!).

 	* Sign up to join your local Our Revolution group
[https://go.ourrevolution.com/page/m/2ba7a61d/bea70af/8026ce31/75fbb887/2922777803/VEsD/]
— we have more than 600 local groups in all 50 states! Check out our
group map and find the local group closest to you.

What we accomplish in the next few weeks could determine whether
Bernie decides to run. Let’s show Bernie that the grassroots will
have his back!

In solidarity,

The Team at Our Revolution

PO Box 66208
Washington, DC, 20035

      =====

A very short comment to this issue:

If the republican counterpart would be a charismatic one in his/her
forties then it would be an issue. But Trump in his seventieth too and
therefore it should be no issue. And the other democratic prospective
aspirants are no teenagers too.

But I think another project could the best thinkable democratic
candidate - Bernie Sanders - help a lot: To start the bid from the
very first moment on with a running mate female and coloured. What a
pity when/that Michelle Obama is not ready to be that.

Dieter Sauerwald,
longterm unionist of Germany

RE: EPA CRIMINAL ACTION AGAINST POLLUTERS HITS 30-YEAR LOW

This is what corruption looks like

Dean Kratchmer
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: ROSA AND KARL - 100TH ANNIVERSARY

"over fifty million dead and much of Europe in ruins." Fifty million
has got to be a low estimate. Try Wikipedia for 85 million plus there
are millions of associated deaths that should be included. Let's not
minimize wars horrors.

B Fearn

      =====

When Rosa learned that Karl had agreed to an immediate attempt to
seize power, as I understand it she said:  "Karl, how could you?"
 There had been no agreement then that he would take this position.
 He was like the crazies here in the United States in 1970 and today
who think that revolution is at hand.  I object, in her name, to
linking Rosa and Karl without making this clear.

Staughton Lynd

      =====

Liebknecht and Luxembourg were betrayed by Social Democrats and
murdered by fascist thugs, 100 years ago.

Mary C. Heller‎
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: WHY THE WORKING CLASS MATTERS

(posting on Portside Culture
[https://portside.org/2019-01-17/why-working-class-matters])

Well worth a careful read. He mentions the decreasing distinction
between traditional professional and vocational work distinctions,
which I've written about.

Dave Armishaw
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

They matter because they are the majority and the principal source of
wealth in a nation.

Carlos-Antonio Pérez
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

We need to bring all the voices who are in opposition to our current
political, cultural and economic system (neoliberalism) to fight the
good fight.

Scott Marsden
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: WHY HOLLYWOOD SUCKS: THEY DON’T MAKE MORE MOVIES LIKE ‘VICE’

(posting on Portside Culture
[https://portside.org/2019-01-22/why-hollywood-sucks-they-dont-make-more-movies-vice])

I watched this movie and found it fascinating. I felt no empathy
whatsoever for the main characters.

Scott Banks
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

AN OPEN LETTER TO OUR COMRADES IN THE UK ABOUT BREXIT

Back in the 70’s and 80’s, when I was an aspiring trade union
activist, I made a half dozen pilgrimages to the UK to learn shop
floor militancy from their union leaders, and socialism from the Labor
Party. They were very pleased to meet a Yank who knew their value, and
I found deep inspiration.

Over the years, I’ve lost touch with my contacts over there.Also,
the British Labor Party faded to a shadow of its former self, buckling
under the relentless pressure of Neo-liberalism. Now, to my joy, I see
“Labour” reviving in its birthplace, and I’m especially pleased
to watch them beginning to reject the idiocy of Brexit.

So, I’m asking Portside to print this letter, sort of the equivalent
of putting a note in bottle, and tossing it into the Gulf Stream.Maybe
a few comrades over there will see it… REJECT BREXIT! This sad, last
ditch effort to revive British Imperialism is the worst example of the
Devolution movement that is splitting the international working class
all over Europe, and oddly, finds some echoes in the left over here.
40 years ago, my British mentors were anti-EU. They thought the
working class was too weak to resist the greater combination of
international finance that a united Europe represented, and that
joining what they then called the Common Market would undermine their
hard-won standard of living. Adding to that suspicion was the stupid
way the British open-market government of that period embraced the
free movement of workers throughout the continent. Their counterparts
in France and Germany sensed the political danger, and insisted on a
slower, phased-in implementation.

VOTE AGAIN!

A REVIVED, NEWLY INTERNATIONALIST Labour, under the brilliant
leadership of Jeremy Corbyn and his youthful backers, will, I hope,
step back from the brink of Brexit, and infuse the EU with their New
Socialism.I understand how delicate an effort this is, and appreciate
the cautious approach that Labour is taking, but it will be a good day
for international socialism, when the Brits have a second referendum,
and, now wiser, go back to Europe with a resolve. So, from a grateful
supporter across the drink: “Good on ya’,mates!” I’m confident
you’ll do the right thing.

Bill Shortell, retired Machinist. Democratic Party activist

WRIGHT STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY ON STRIKE

Letter of Support from AFT President Randi Weingarten
[https://aaup-wsu.org/2019/01/23/letter-of-support-from-aft-president-randi-weingarten/]

January 23, 2019

Rudy Fichtenbaum, President
American Association of University Professors
1133 Nineteenth St., NW, Suite 200
Washington, DC 20036

Rudy:

On behalf of the 1.7 million member American Federation of Teachers, I
am writing to express our wholehearted  support for the  Wright
State University faculty and its  chapter of the American Association
of University Professors in your strike for a fair contract and the
teaching and  learning  environment  your  students  deserve. You
are striking for nothing less than the future of  your  students,
 academic  freedom and your university.

Defending academic freedom and the free exchange of ideas on campus
has always been a core value for the AFT and our higher education
members in particular. The threats to academic freedom and educational
quality are numerous, spawned by the growing number of faculty members
being forced to work off the tenure track. And shared governance is
another one of our values; it is democracy in action, ensuring that
academic decisions are made for academic-not political, commercial or
bureaucratic-reasons.

Your university is attempting to impose a contract on faculty that
takes direct aim at all these principles, and we stand with you in
your fight against it.

This imposition would unquestionably shift Wright away from full-time,
tenure­-track faculty to an underpaid and under-supported contingent
instructional workforce lacking due process and the freedom to teach.
The imposed contract would disable shared governance, allowing the
university to exercise unilateral powers on issues such as faculty
workloads and merit pay. Add in skyrocketing healthcare costs for
employees, and the result of this contract will be a teaching force at
Wright that is silenced, stretched thin, stripped of time for
scholarly research, and desperately struggling to earn a living and
afford healthcare.

Life under such a contract will not enable you to give your students
the kind of high-quality education they come to this university hoping
to find. It will not attract topnotch faculty and staff to Wright
University. It will not leave even a shred of the academic freedom and
love of learning that define higher education and make such an
education valuable.

Faculty have offered significant financial concessions to ameliorate a
financial crisis at the university that you did nothing to cause. You
have endured 24 months of obstructionism, with the university
stonewalling your continued attempts to negotiate, and it has chosen
to impose a contract rather than come back to the bargaining table.
You have waited to strike until striking was truly your last resort.

The AFT and our member from coast to coast stand with you. We applaud
your courage and your dedication to doing what's best for your
students and your university. We stand with you in your fight to
protect the essential principles that lie at the heart of a quality
higher education.

Sincerely,

Randi Weingarten
President

cc:  Martin Kich, President, Wright State University AAUP
Julie Schmid, Executive Director, AAUP
Alyssa Picard, AFT Higher Ed

THE SOCIAL POWER OF MUSIC (SMITHSONIAN FOLK WAYS RECORDINGS)

From parties to protests to prayer, music is a powerful catalyst for
celebration, for change, and for a sense of community. Through making
music together, we become bigger than ourselves. Whether singing with
our families and friends or with thousands of strangers in an arena,
music transforms lives, engages individuals, and connects local and
global communities. _The Social Power of Music_ chronicles the
vivid, impassioned, and myriad ways in which music binds, incites,
memorializes, and moves groups of people. This richly illustrated
124-page book, with 80+ tracks on 4 CDs, invites listeners into
musical practices, episodes, and movements throughout the U.S. and
beyond. These songs of struggle, devotion, celebration, and migration
remind us that music has the potential to change our world.

This is a pre-order item that will ship on or around release date of
February 22, 2019.

Album Info:
CATALOG NUMBER  -  SFW40231
LABEL/COLLECTION - Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
GENRE(S)  -  Struggle & Protest
COUNTRY(S) - Algeria; Angola; Argentina; Brazil; Chile;
Congo-Brazzaville; Denmark; Dominican Republic; France; Greece;
Indonesia; Italy; Korea, South; Lebanon; Mexico; Nicaragua; Poland;
Puerto Rico; Republic of Kosovo; Scotland; South Africa; Thailand;
Turkey; United Kingdom; United States; Vietnam

Order here [https://folkways.si.edu/the-social-power-of-music].

STUDENT ACTIVIST APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE FOR 2019/20 (DAVIS-PUTTER
SCHOLARSHIP FUND) - DEADLINE IS APRIL 1, 2019

Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund - Student Activist Applications
Available for 2019/20

Our online application for academic scholarships up to $15,000 is
available for student activists who are organizing for social change
and building progressive movements on campus and in community. Please
direct students working for peace and justice to: www.davisputter.org
[http://www.davisputter.org]

Deadline is April 1, 2019

Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund [http://www.davisputter.org]
P.O. Box 7307
New York, NY 10116

PEOPLE'S HISTORY:  AMERICA'S UNTOLD STORIES WORKSHOP - HALDEON, NJ -
FEBRUARY 27 (AMERICAN LABOR MUSEUM)

The Museum cordially invites educators and the general public to
attend a workshop entitled _PEOPLE'S HISTORY:  AMERICA'S UNTOLD
STORIES_ to be held on Wednesday, February 27th, 2019.  Educators
who attend will receive a Professional Development Certificate.

The _PEOPLE'S HISTORY:  AMERICA'S UNTOLD STORIES_ workshop will be
held at the Museum from 9:30AM-2:30PM, with a luncheon served at
midday.  Workshop plans includes a presentation entitled "Women
Workers and Ladies Garments" about the immigrant women of the
International Ladies Garment Workers's Union (ILGWU) by Keith Danish,
Esq., an educator, lecturer and labor historian and "Women in Jazz" by
Dr. Louis A. Iozzi, scholar, educator, musician and author.

The registration fee of $25. for Museum members provides for
admittance for the full day program, which includes lunch, teachers'
presentation and teaching materials for grades 4-12.    The
registration fee for non-members is $30.  In addition, tours of the
Museum will be offered and the exhibit Working Class New York by
Dakota Santiago will be on view.

For and agenda, further information and to receive a registration form
by mail, fax, or email, please call the Museum  at (973) 595-7953 or
email [log in to unmask]

A WALL IN THE HOLY CITY? JOIN THE ALL EYES ON JERUSALEM DELEGATION TO
PALESTINE/ISRAEL - APPLY BY MARCH 15 (EYEWITNESS PALESTINE)

Donald Trump recently pointed to Israel's wall in Palestine as a
model for the wall he wants to build between the United States and
Mexico. But what are the effects of Israel's wall on the communities
it impacts?

Join Eyewitness Palestine for an unforgettable journey for justice
with Palestinian and Israeli peace-builders. THE APPLICATION DEADLINE
FOR THE ALL EYES ON JERUSALEM DELEGATION IS MARCH 15, 2019!

One year after the controversial decision to move the US embassy to
Jerusalem, this delegation includes a special focus on the city holy
to three religious communities.

THIS DELEGATION INCLUDES A SPECIAL FOCUS ON THE DEEPLY DIVIDED CITY OF
JERUSALEM. Join us to take a special in depth look at the situation in
Jerusalem including the effects of displacement and gentrification,
and the activism of local communities.

As with all Eyewitness Palestine delegations, you will visit other
areas in Palestine/Israel, meet Palestinians and Israelis working for
peace and justice, and tour important historical sites.

Eyewitness Palestine has organized 66 delegations to Palestine/Israel
since 2001. Join us on this journey of discovery and solidarity.
[https://default.salsalabs.org/T4034aeae-da9b-4a3f-804b-a6f8e3d9a36a/1d5189a7-dcc0-4952-89df-a931c146da0d]

There's only one way to truly understand the realities of
Palestine/Israel - _through the eyes of those who live there. _

LEARN HOW TO JOIN THE DELEGATION, ACCESS FINANCIAL AID, AND HOW WE'LL
SUPPORT YOUR ADVOCACY AFTER THIS LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE.

SIGN UP - click here
[https://www.eyewitnesspalestine.org/delegation68].

Eyewitness Palestine [https://www.eyewitnesspalestine.org]
PO Box 73798
Washington, DC 20056-3798
866.936.1650

NATIONAL MOBILIZATION TO OPPOSE NATO, WAR AND RACISM - WASHINGTON, DC
- MARCH 30

INTERNATIONAL PEACE MOVEMENT BUILDING CONFERENCE - WASHINGTON, DC -
APRIL 2

Midst more crises than we can count, and as we move into an
increasingly confrontational and uncertain period in the wake of the
Post-Cold War era, we are excited to announce an international peace
movement building conference, April 2 in Washington, D.C.

The conference, featuring critical U.S., Russian, European and U.S.
analysts and activists, will be held two days before NATO audaciously
celebrates its 70th anniversary on the anniversary of Martin Luther
King’s assassination and his “Beyond Vietnam” speech.

April 2 – Washington, D.C.
St. Stephen & the Incarnational Episcopal Church
1525 Newton St., N.W.
Washington, DC

Confirmed speakers include:

	* MEDEA BENJAMIN - Code Pink
 	* PHYLLIS BENNIS - Institute for Policy Studies
 	* REINER BRAUN - International Peace Bureau (Berlin)
 	* JOSEPH GERSON - Campaign for Peace Disarmament and Common Security
 	* PETER KUZNICK - American University
 	* KEVIN MARTIN - Peace Action
 	* ANNA OCHKINA - Institute of Globalization and Social Movements
(Moscow)
 	* DAVID SWANSON - World Beyond War

Invitations pending to additional European and Global South movement
leaders.

Topics include:

	* NATO: 70 Years of Militarism & A 21st Century Global Alliance
 	* Driving Forces of the New Era of Confrontation: U.S., NATO &
Russia – Imperial, Authoritarian & Economic
 	* Overcoming Martin Luther King, Jr’s Triple Evils
 	* Preventing War Against Iran
 	* New Nuclear Arms Races & Nuclear Disarmament Initiatives
 	* A Unified & Independent European Union Military
 	* Women and Resistance
 	* Moving the Money from the Military to Addressing Human Needs

Initiated by: No to NATO/No to War International Network, Campaign for
Peace, Disarmament and Common Security; International Peace Bureau;
Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung and World Beyond War

For more information see www.no-to-nato.org
[http://www.no-to-nato.org]   E-mail: JGerson80@gmail  - Phone:
617-661-6134

	*