Print

 		 [ Reader Comments: Senate Vote on Yemen; U.S. Priority: War;
Teacher Strikes; Curbing Jeff Bezos; Trump Ending Curbs on Meatpcking
and Coal Industries; Migrants and Immigration; Hotel Strike Lessons;
Resources: Peoples History Lessons; and more...]
[https://portside.org/]

 TIDBITS - JAN. 3, 2019 - READER COMMENTS: YEMEN CUT-OFF; U.S.
PRIORITY: WAR; TEACHER STRIKES; JEFF BEZOS; MEATPCKING AND MINE
SAFETY; MIGRANTS AND IMMIGRATION; HOTEL STRIKE; PEOPLE'S HISTORY
LESSONS; AND MORE...
[https://portside.org/2019-01-03/tidbits-jan-3-2019-reader-comments-yemen-cut-us-priority-war-teacher-strikes-jeff-bezos]

 January 3, 2019
Portside

	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?url=https%3A//portside.org/2019-01-03/tidbits-jan-3-2019-reader-comments-yemen-cut-us-priority-war-teacher-strikes-jeff-bezos&text=Tidbits%20%20-%20Jan.%203%2C%202019%20-%20Reader%20Comments%3A%20Yemen%20Cut-Off%3B%20U.S.%20Priority%3A%20War%3B%20Teacher%20Strikes%3B%20Jeff%20Bezos%3B%20Meatpcking%20and%20Mine%20Safety%3B%20Migrants%20and%20Immigration%3B%20Hotel%20Strike%3B%20People%27s%20History%20Lessons%3B%20and%20more...]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2019-01-03/tidbits-jan-3-2019-reader-comments-yemen-cut-us-priority-war-teacher-strikes-jeff-bezos]

 _ Reader Comments: Senate Vote on Yemen; U.S. Priority: War; Teacher
Strikes; Curbing Jeff Bezos; Trump Ending Curbs on Meatpcking and Coal
Industries; Migrants and Immigration; Hotel Strike Lessons; Resources:
People's History Lessons; and more... _

 Tidbits - Reader Comments, Resources and Announcements - Jan. 3,
2019, Portside

Re: Major Liberal Groups Silent As Senate Passes Historic Yemen
Resolution (Tracy Turner; Jacqueline Wallace)
Re: The United States is First in War, But Trailing in Crucial Aspects
of Modern Civilization (Frank Zuback; Dale Jacobson; Rick Hilber; Joe
Wylie; Joe Maizlish; Marc Batko; Cary Berkelhamer; Roberto Buxeda;
Margaret Treza Moffat)
Re: LOOK BACK 2018: West Virginia Teachers Strike for Better Pay
(Daniel Millstone)
New Year on Ice  --  cartoon by Rob Rogers
Re: Jeff Bezos Has Enough! (Cliff Gulliver; Allan Goldhammer; Janet K
Buck; James Johnson; John Wiesen)
Re: Trump Administration Wages War On Meatpacking Industry Workers
(Phyllis Mandel; Linda Lipps; Maria Loizou)
The Bricks in Trump's Wall  --  cartoon by Raging Pencils (Mike
Stanfill)
Re: Why Hondurans See Migration as an Act of Civil Disobedience (Alan
Lemke; Wilf Hanson)
Re: It's Never "Just the Immigrants" (Scotty Jo Richey; Kitty Sheley;
Ciara Preston)
Re: Marriott Hotel Strikers Set a New Industry Standard (Harry Brill)
Re: At Last, Divestment Is Hitting the Fossil Fuel Industry Where it
Hurts (Jon Evans)
Re: An Epidemic Is Killing Thousands Of Coal Miners. Regulators Could
Have Stopped It (Mike Liston)
Re: A Point of Holiday Agreement: Stop Wasting Money on the Pentagon
(Melanie Foxcroft)
Re: For a Dead Movement, Labor's Been Showing a Lot of Life (Michael
Munk)
Re: It’s Never Just About the Burger: The Ethical Pitfalls of a Food
Critic’s Viral Essay (Wendi Galczik; Rob Breeding; Laura Yaros)
Re: I Hate New Year's Day (Dave Ecklein)

RESOURCES:

TEN MOST POPULAR PEOPLE'S HISTORY LESSONS IN 2018 (ZINN EDUCATION
PROJECT)

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

FREE SCREENING: JOHNSON, NIXON & VIETNAM: REVERSAL OF FORTUNE - NEW
YORK - JANUARY 5 (VITO MARCANTONIO FORUM)

RE: MAJOR LIBERAL GROUPS SILENT AS SENATE PASSES HISTORIC YEMEN
RESOLUTION

PDA spearheaded the effort!!!! Far from being silent

Tracy Turner

      =====

Whoever did this is right!! Where indeed were the liberals. What are
the names of those who remained silent?

Jacqueline Wallace
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: THE UNITED STATES IS FIRST IN WAR, BUT TRAILING IN CRUCIAL ASPECTS
OF MODERN CIVILIZATION

This article demonstrates once again the need for people to vote? and
for some standardization in educational achievement (most local school
boards have failed miserably at educating their young).

Frank Zuback

      =====

National security: poverty.

Dale Jacobson
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

My wow is that something so obvious is subject of commentary in a
major publication, but yes, especially if this one is about the
trade-offs.

Rick Hilber
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Sobering

Joe Wylie
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Yes, the military primacy does explain the dismal other statistics,
but it isn't only the (ab)use of the money.  It's the value system
which prioritizes the military and "de-prioritizes" everything else.

Being "the richest" results in part from the domination of the
resources and economies of other lands, and that involved dedication
to military and political/economic intervention.  So the distortion
has haunted the system from the beginning.

We can change the situation.  There have been many who tried and we
can join them.  At least it will reduce the damage that would be
worse without our efforts.

Joe Maizlish, Los Angeles

      =====

Wells Fargo purchased $64 billion of stock and triggered the
1000-point surge. In 2018, corporations bought $1 trillion of their
own stock. According to Ralph Nader, corporations have spent $6-7
trillion in stock buybacks since 2005! Nothing to see here!

If you're searching for Russians in your cornflakes or scapegoating
immigrants, those responsible for injustice and stealing trillions of
taxpayer money have a heyday!

Marc Batko

      =====

Crucial aspects of Civilization don't make the Elites as much money as
war.

Cary Berkelhamer
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

You can’t sacrifice fairness, humility and reason constantly and
expect to be loved. Many millions punish the US by avoiding their
products, even domestically this is occurring and there is no better
example than the sale of cars.

Roberto Buxeda
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Of course! Republicans put us in Never-Ending-Wars to enrich the
Industrial war Complex. Those companies get paid to produce, then we
have to buy what they produce- needed or not!!. That way the 1%
Corporations & their CEO’s can keep pouring money into the
Republican “War Chests” to re-elect, or replace, those members of
Congress who do their bidding. Trump doesn’t understand the
Republicans WANT TO BE THE WORLD’s Police! That’s WHY we spend
over 55% of our National Budget for Military uses!

Margaret Treza Moffat
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: LOOK BACK 2018: WEST VIRGINIA TEACHERS STRIKE FOR BETTER PAY

(posting on Portside Labor
[https://portside.org/2018-12-31/look-back-2018-west-virginia-teachers-strike-better-pay])

One of the biggest changes in the political and social landscape in
2018 was the rash of teachers' strikes. It is essential to look at
those stirring events in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arizona and to learn
from them. Here, via Portside
[https://portside.org/2018-12-31/look-back-2018-west-virginia-teachers-strike-better-pay],
a report from West Virginia. Speaking for me? I want more. How did
teachers do this? Did the NEA and the AFT play any role here or
elsewhere? Will the mass efforts that were so successful dissipate or
be built upon?

Daniel Millstone
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

NEW YEAR ON ICE  --  CARTOON BY ROB ROGERS

Rob Rogers
December 29, 2018
robrogers.com [http://robrogers.com/2018/12/29/new-year-on-ice/]

RE: JEFF BEZOS HAS ENOUGH!

Didn't we sort of have that in the pre Reagan tax code? The one that
created the American Dream?

Cliff Gulliver
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

What is a wage? With so many words describing how money flows in, it
will surely find it's way around the feeble blockade of a wage limit.
Commission, bonus, unearned income, windfall, dividend, fee.

Allan Goldhammer
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Tax code in the 50's & 60's created the middle class. Now we have a
bunch of Gordon Gekko's running the corporations and our government
that don't care about anyone but themselves. Witness the shrinking of
the middle class in America.

Janet K Buck
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

All great ideas, however when you let the criminals write their own
law you sit and wonder why only criminals know were the loopholes are.

James Johnson
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

And the problem is not just CEO pay, which is really a symptom of the
nature of our current corporate environment. Amazon, Google, and
Facebook for instance have become new forms of monopolies with nearly
unchecked power. Lax anti-trust enforcement has led to
anti-competitive oligopolies in industries across the board. Airlines,
media, agriculture, and on and on.

John Wiesen
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: TRUMP ADMINISTRATION WAGES WAR ON MEATPACKING INDUSTRY WORKERS

(posting on Portside Labor
[https://portside.org/2018-12-30/trump-administration-wages-war-meatpacking-industry-workers])

Wasn’t there a famous book written 100 years ago, exactly about the
foul (no pun intended) practices of the meat packing industry. A
senior moment, makes me forget the name!

Phyllis Mandel
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Upton Sinclair, The Jungle?

Linda Lipps
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Yes,  Thank you! That’s the book.

Phyllis Mandel
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

With all due respect, can eliminate many of these problems by turning
vegan

Maria Loizou
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

THE BRICKS IN TRUMP'S WALL  --  CARTOON BY RAGING PENCILS (MIKE
STANFILL)

Mike Stanfill
December 29, 2018
Raging Pencils
[http://www.ragingpencils.com/2018/12-29-18-the-wall-children.html]

RE: WHY HONDURANS SEE MIGRATION AS AN ACT OF CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE

Not simple and not false news but is apparently a good overview of
relevant Honduran history. Around the world exploited people are
looking for Better Lives and have to leave their countries to find it.
Wonder why? We should wonder and ask our leaders for more than
refugees are bad guys

Alan Lemke
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Most people in these countries have TV's now and see what life is like
in the developed world . Why would they not want a part of it

Wilf Hanson
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: IT'S NEVER "JUST THE IMMIGRANTS"

It's illegal immigrants that are the problem. Love legal immigrants.

Scotty Jo Richey
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

You're missing the entire point of the article, which makes you a
complete patsy for this administration's
machinations

Kitty Sheley
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

It's Scapegoating. Low wages, offshoreing, no healthcare, no
educational opportunity. How's that immigrants fault?

Ciara Preston
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: MARRIOTT HOTEL STRIKERS SET A NEW INDUSTRY STANDARD

(posting on Portside Labor
[https://portside.org/2018-12-26/marriott-hotel-strikers-set-new-industry-standard])

But not a word about the Oakland settlement in this article or any
article I have seen.  What's the scoop?

Harry Brill

RE: AT LAST, DIVESTMENT IS HITTING THE FOSSIL FUEL INDUSTRY WHERE IT
HURTS

Hawaii State Retirement System is still deep in fossil fuel
investments . Why? The fossil fuel industry has been conspiring for
decades to hold back renewable's. How is it that the state is
supporting them? Governor Ige?

Jon Evans
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: AN EPIDEMIC IS KILLING THOUSANDS OF COAL MINERS. REGULATORS COULD
HAVE STOPPED IT

If  President Big Brain is impeached, I think, and I'm sure others
would agree, he should be sentenced to spend the remainder of his days
just. you know, shooting off his big mouth until the coughing shuts
him up,  in an active coal mine, let justice be served,

Mike Liston

RE: A POINT OF HOLIDAY AGREEMENT: STOP WASTING MONEY ON THE PENTAGON

Yes, Pentagon should pass a fiscal audit, reform their accounting,
before they get $1 more of money tax dollars!

Melanie Foxcroft

RE: FOR A DEAD MOVEMENT, LABOR'S BEEN SHOWING A LOT OF LIFE

"Today, just 10.7 percent of American workers belong to a union. "

And many of them are public employees. The more significant measure of
union "penetration" is among those working for capitalist bosses.

Michael Munk

RE: IT’S NEVER JUST ABOUT THE BURGER: THE ETHICAL PITFALLS OF A FOOD
CRITIC’S VIRAL ESSAY

(posting on Portside Culture
[https://portside.org/2018-12-31/its-never-just-about-burger-ethical-pitfalls-food-critics-viral-essay])

Interesting..sometimes when i read a critical assessment of something
that I know something about, I'll wonder if the critic ever actually
was there...But I have never actually eaten somewhere on someone's
written recommendation..I read food critics in the Guardian for
entertainment value, and they never fail to deliver, because they can
really write. I do not live in the UK nor plan on going anytime soon,
but I do love their restaurant reviews..Perhaps this reviewer's 'mea
culpa' was unnecessary.

Wendi Galczik
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

The journalist’s code of ethics remains in effect, even when
you’re reviewing a burger dive ...

Rob Breeding
Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Interesting exploration of important issues.

Laura Yaros
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: I HATE NEW YEAR'S DAY

Why did Jacobin publish this?  New Year's Day is not a capitalist
property, feel free to celebrate it.  It makes Gramsci look like a
grumpy old sectarian.

Dave Ecklein

TEN MOST POPULAR PEOPLE'S HISTORY LESSONS IN 2018 (ZINN EDUCATION
PROJECT)

 [https://www.zinnedproject.org]

In 2018, teachers across the United States downloaded people's history
lessons from the Zinn Education Project
[https://www.zinnedproject.org] website a total of 50,000 times. Here
are the ten most frequently downloaded lessons.

1. RECONSTRUCTING THE SOUTH: A ROLE PLAY

This role play engages students in thinking about what freedpeople
needed in order to achieve and sustain real freedom following the
Civil War.
Learn More
[https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/reconstructing-south-role-play/].

2. CONSTITUTION ROLE PLAY: WHOSE "MORE PERFECT UNION"? AND THE
CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION: WHO REALLY WON?

What kind of Constitution would have resulted from founders who were
more representative of the entire country ---   including enslaved
people, workers, and farmers? That is the premise of this role play
activity.
Learn More
[https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/constitution-role-play/].

3. THE COLOR LINE

A lesson on the countless colonial laws enacted to create division and
inequality based on race. This helps students understand the origins
of racism in the United States and who benefits.
Learn More
[https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/color-line-colonial-laws].

4. THE PEOPLE VS. COLUMBUS, ET AL.

A trial role play asks students to determine who is responsible for
the death of millions of Taínos on the island of Hispaniola in the
late 15th century. (Roles available in Spanish.)
Learn More
[https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/people-vs-columbus/].

5. 'IF THERE IS NO STRUGGLE...': TEACHING A PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF THE
ABOLITION MOVEMENT

In this role play, students become members of the American
Anti-Slavery Society, facing many of the real challenges to ending
slavery.
Learn More
[https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/if-there-is-no-struggle-abolition-movement-history/].

6. THE CHEROKEE/SEMINOLE REMOVAL ROLE PLAY

What led up to the Trail of Tears? Students role play the decision to
remove the Cherokee and Seminole people from their lands.
Learn More
[https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/cherokee-seminole-removal-role-play].

7. U.S. MEXICO WAR: "WE TAKE NOTHING BY CONQUEST, THANK GOD"

An interactive activity introduces students to the history and often
untold story of the U.S. --- Mexico War. (Roles available in Spanish.)
Learn More
[https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/us-mexico-war-tea-party/].

8. 'WHAT WE WANT, WHAT WE BELIEVE': TEACHING WITH THE BLACK PANTHERS'
TEN POINT PROGRAM

How students can use the Black Panther's Ten Point Program to assess
issues in their own communities and to develop Ten Point Programs of
their own. (Available in Spanish.)
Learn More
[https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/black-panthers-ten-point-program/].

9. THE ELECTION OF 1860 ROLE PLAY

A role play based on the election of 1860 allows students to explore
the political debates of the time and the real reasons for the Civil
War.
Learn More
[https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/election-of-1860/].

10. COINTELPRO: TEACHING THE FBI'S WAR ON THE BLACK FREEDOM MOVEMENT

Through examining FBI documents, students learn the scope of the FBI's
COINTELPRO campaign to spy on, infiltrate, discredit, and disrupt all
corners of the Black Freedom Movement.
Learn More
[https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/cointelpro-teaching-fbis-war-black-freedom-movement/].

 [https://www.zinnedproject.org]

https://www.zinnedproject.org [https://www.zinnedproject.org]

FREE SCREENING: JOHNSON, NIXON & VIETNAM: REVERSAL OF FORTUNE - NEW
YORK - JANUARY 5

You are invited to join The Vito Marcantonio Forum's (VMF) free
screening of the latest installment of Oliver Stone’s multi-part
documentary on January 5th

JOHNSON, NIXON & VIETNAM: REVERSAL OF FORTUNE

ABOUT THE FILM: Episode 7: The hellish nature of the Vietnam War
causes the American public to see the limits of modern military power,
when faced with thick jungles and guerrilla style warfare. Richard
Nixon's administration shows its true methods and causes deep
introspection in the American political atmosphere.

ABOUT OLIVER STONE:This prolific and ingenious screenwriter and
director has authored numerous award-winning feature  films,
including _Salvador_, _The Fourth of July_, _JFK _— that have
reached millions of viewers with dramatic depictions of historic
events that challenge conventional interpretations of critical events
of our time. Stone’s official website is oliverstone.com
[https://vitomarcantonioforum.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fd9bb510ae570a46f10c5003e&id=3b0e318b76&e=bc37915704] and
his official Twitter handle is: @TheOliverStone
[https://vitomarcantonioforum.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fd9bb510ae570a46f10c5003e&id=bd386b5dad&e=bc37915704]

SCREENING OF THE UNTOLD HISTORY OF  THE UNITED STATES. CHAIRED BY
GERALD MEYER, CO-CHAIR OF THE VITO MARCANTONIO FORUM, THE FILM WILL BE
FOLLOWED BY AN OPEN DISCUSSION.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 5TH, 2019 FROM 2:00 PM TO 4:00 PM

Community Room at the Mulberry Street Public Library
10 Jersey Street. (btw. Lafayette and Mulberry Sts.)
New York, NY 10012

Light Refreshments / Free Admission

	*