[The progressive Muslim wave thrived even as it faced one of the
most Islamophobic elections of our time. These candidates ran on
health care for all, protecting black lives, reversing our climate
disaster and challenging US foreign policy.] [https://portside.org/]

 THE ‘BLUE WAVE’ WAS ALSO A ‘MUSLIM WAVE’
[https://portside.org/2018-11-14/blue-wave-was-also-muslim-wave-0]

 Domenica Ghanem
 November 7, 2018
Other Words
[https://otherwords.org/the-blue-wave-was-also-a-muslim-wave/]

	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?text=The%20%E2%80%98Blue%20Wave%E2%80%99%20Was%20Also%20A%20%E2%80%98Muslim%20Wave%E2%80%99&url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-11-14/blue-wave-was-also-muslim-wave-0]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2018-11-14/blue-wave-was-also-muslim-wave-0]
	*
[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-11-14/blue-wave-was-also-muslim-wave-0]

 _ The progressive Muslim wave thrived even as it faced one of the
most Islamophobic elections of our time. These candidates ran on
health care for all, protecting black lives, reversing our climate
disaster and challenging US foreign policy. _

 Rashida Tlaib, Shutterstock

With the Muslim Ban, the promotion of torturer Gina Haspel to CIA
director, and increases in hate crimes, it’s been a rough year for
us Muslims in the United States.

So hearing the words “Salam Alaikum” as Ilhan Omar took the
national stage on Election Night to accept her win as Representative
of Minnesota’s 5th District made it feel like I could finally
breathe a little bit easier.

The first Somali-American elected to Congress, Omar joined Rashida
Tlaib, a daughter of Palestinian refugees, as the first Muslim women
to be elected to U.S. Congress.

The election of these women to Congress is a direct repudiation of the
domestic and foreign policies of a country that’s been hostile to
migrants and refugees from a number of countries, including Somalia,
and has funded Israel’s occupation and destruction of Palestine.

But even though Minnesota is home to the largest Somali population in
the country, and Tlaib’s state of Michigan has a large population of
Arab and Muslim Americans, this “Muslim wave” was about more than
faith or ethnicity.

Omar and Tlaib ran on unabashadley progressive platforms, joining
other successful progressives like Alexandria-Ocasio Cortez in New
York, Jesus “Chuy” Garcia in Illinois, Veronica Escobar in Texas,
and Sharice Davids — the first openly lesbian indigenous
representative, who flipped a red seat in Kansas.

They’re also joined by more local progressive representatives like
26-year-old Mari Manoogian
[https://www.clickondetroit.com/michigan-elections/election-2018-26-year-old-democrat-flips-michigan-state-house-district-40],
who flipped a Michigan state house seat blue, and Sudanese immigrant
Mo Seifeldein, who joined the Alexandria, Virginia city council. Both
were endorsed by the Emgage PAC, which calls itself the “policy home
of American Muslims.”

These candidates ran on health care for all, taking on our corporate
welfare system, protecting black lives, and reversing our climate
disaster. And many were unafraid to speak out against U.S. foreign
policies that cause refugee crises and domestic policies that punish
the desperate people feeling them.

The progressive Muslim wave, with the most Muslims running for office
since 9/11, thrived even as it faced one of the most Islamophobic
elections of our time.

A report
[https://www.muslimadvocates.org/wp-content/uploads/RunningOnHateReportFINAL.pdf?name=domenica&email=ghanemdomenica%40gmail.com&zip_code=20009] by
Muslim Advocates called _Running On Hate_ outlined how, though
anti-Muslim politicians have been lurking on the fringe for decades,
“Trump’s presidency emboldened a new wave of anti-Muslim
conspiracy theorists to run for office nationwide and at all levels of
government.”

Anti-Muslim hate groups falsely attacked Omar and Tlaib as
anti-Semites supporting terrorism. Groups supporting Dave Brat, a
Republican candidate from Virginia, attacked his opponent for serving
as a substitute teacher at a Muslim school, calling it “terror
high.” Kansas gubernatorial candidate Kris Kobach
[https://www.cjonline.com/news/2016-11-21/kobach-took-plan-department-homeland-security-trump-meeting] brought
Trump a proposal to question “high-risk immigrants over support for
Sharia Law.” Joe Kaufman, the head of anti-Muslim group Americans
Against Hate, ran in Florida’s 23rd District.

But what many of those candidates have since learned the hard way is
that smearing Muslims is not a successful campaign strategy. They all
lost to Democrats, with Brat’s race flipping a Virginia seat blue.

And even some Islamophobes who did make it, like Reps. Steve King and
Duncan Hunter, won by smaller margins [http://v/] in part because
voters soured on their anti-Muslim, white supremacist rhetoric.

What all of this tells me about the U.S. electorate is that they care
about issues like raising the minimum wage, expanding Medicare, and
funding for education at the same time that they reject racist Muslim
and immigrant-bashing.

And I have a feeling this is just a drop in the bucket of an even
bigger progressive, young, woman, Muslim wave to come.

	*