[Reader Comments: Migrant Caravan-Sanctuary Support; Nuclear Arms
Treaty; American Support for Fascism; Class Consciousness; Eastern
Band Cherokee Indians: Sen. Warren Only Claims Tribal Ancestry; Jewish
Vote: #WeAreHere to #EndWhiteNationalism; more]
[https://portside.org/]

 TIDBITS - NOV. 1, 2018 - READER COMMENTS: MIGRANT CARAVAN-SANCTUARY
SUPPORT; NUCLEAR ARMS; AMERICAN SUPPORT FOR FASCISM; CLASS
CONSCIOUSNESS; SEN. WARREN ONLY CLAIMS TRIBAL ANCESTRY; JEWISH VOTE:
#WEAREHERE TO #ENDWHITENATIONALISM; MORE...
[https://portside.org/2018-11-01/tidbits-nov-1-2018-reader-comments-migrant-caravan-sanctuary-support-nuclear-arms]

 November 1, 2018
Portside

	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?text=Tidbits%20%20-%20Nov.%201%2C%202018%20-%20Reader%20Comments%3A%20Migrant%20Caravan-Sanctuary%20Support%3B%20Nuclear%20Arms%3B%20American%20Support%20for%20Fascism%3B%20Class%20Consciousness%3B%20Sen.%20Warren%20Only%20Claims%20Tribal%20Ancestry%3B%20Jewish%20Vote%3A%20%23WeAreHere%20to%20%23EndWhiteNationalism%3B%20more...&url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-11-01/tidbits-nov-1-2018-reader-comments-migrant-caravan-sanctuary-support-nuclear-arms]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2018-11-01/tidbits-nov-1-2018-reader-comments-migrant-caravan-sanctuary-support-nuclear-arms]
	*
[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-11-01/tidbits-nov-1-2018-reader-comments-migrant-caravan-sanctuary-support-nuclear-arms]

 _ Reader Comments: Migrant Caravan-Sanctuary Support; Nuclear Arms
Treaty; American Support for Fascism; Class Consciousness; Eastern
Band Cherokee Indians: Sen. Warren Only Claims Tribal Ancestry; Jewish
Vote: #WeAreHere to #EndWhiteNationalism; more _

 Tidbits - Reader Comments, Resources, Announcements and Shorts - Nov.
1, 2018, Portside

Caravan  --  cartoon by Rob Rogers
Re: Trump's Caravan Hysteria Led to This (Leo Shea; Wayne Gravelle)
Re: The Inconvenient Truth About the US-Bound Migrant Caravan (Diane
Laison)
Re: How Billionaires Bought Kavanaugh's Seat on the Supreme Court
(Disraelly Gutierrez Jaime; Dean Trimble)
Re: Experts Sound Alarm After Trump Confirms Plans to Ditch Nuclear
Arms Control Treaty With Russia (Marc Major; Roberto Rosario; Alan
Hart; Jack Radey)
Halloween Terror  --  cartoon by Robert Ariail
Re: More Americans Supported Hitler Than You May Think (Richard Skipp;
Leanna Noble; Sonia Collins)
Re: Cesar Sayoc Wasn’t the First — and Won’t Be the Last (Gene
Glickman; Tommy Dixon)
Homemade Bomb  --  another cartoon by Rob Rogers
Re: David Ige and Kirk Caldwell Tell Hotel Workers They Won't Cross
Picket Lines (Arnold Perey)
Re: The American Economy Is Rigged (Laurel MacDowell)
Re: Trump's Saudi Policy Is Appalling. But It's Not New (Clare Bear)
Re: Class Consciousness Comes to America (Rusty Rebar; Dale Jacobson)
Re: Bloody Strikes Created the America We're Now Losing to the Super
Rich (Kevin Guy; Roberta Histed)
Re: Louisiana Court Declares State's Non-Unanimous Jury Verdict Scheme
Unconstitutional, Motivated by Racial Discrimination (Tommy Capps)
Re: The Americans, the Saudis, and the Israelis: Assassins Without
Borders (Stan Nadel)
Re: The Karl Marx of Music (Victor Grossman)
Eastern Band of Cherokee Chief: Sen. Warren Does Not Claim Tribal
Citizenry; Only Tribal Ancestry (Levi Rickert in Native News On Line)

RESOURCES:

THE DEMOCRATS BEFORE THE MIDTERMS: A MOVEMENT TO THE LEFT? (ROSA
LUXEMBURG STIFTUNG, INC)

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

#WeAreHere to #EndWhiteNationalism - New York - November 2 and 6 (The
Jewish Vote)
Sanctuary Caravan (New Sanctuary Coalition of New York City)
From #BlackLivesMatter to Black Liberation - New York - November 5
She's Beautiful When She's Angry Screening - New York - November 9
Blue Wave or Red Tide? 2018 Post-Election Reporters Roundtable - New
York - November 16
Peace with Iran Summit - Washington, DC - December 1
Remembering Jesse Lemisch, 1936–2018 - New York - December 6
Peggy Lipschutz - 100 Years Strong - Chicago - December 8

CARAVAN  --  CARTOON BY ROB ROGERS

Rob Rogers
October 26, 2018
RobRogers.com [http://robrogers.com/2018/10/26/caravan/]

RE: TRUMP'S CARAVAN HYSTERIA LED TO THIS

So a so-called caravan of moms and dads fleeing their countries for
protection is a situation that requires 5200 military personnel but
the circulation of 263 million guns = no problem!!!! WOW

Leo Shea
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

     =====

Trump takes no responsibility for what he creates.

Wayne Gravelle
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: THE INCONVENIENT TRUTH ABOUT THE US-BOUND MIGRANT CARAVAN

"... it's rather difficult to argue that the current migrant caravan
is a result of anything other than sustained physical and economic
assault by the very country that is now preparing to repel the
caravan."

Diane Laison
Posted on Portside's Facebook pag
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: HOW BILLIONAIRES BOUGHT KAVANAUGH'S SEAT ON THE SUPREME COURT

Justice Kavanaugh had no such problem. He is not just a member of the
Federalist Society; he is a leading light who has given more than 50
speeches to the group. The fact that he was on the Society's list of
eligible candidates means that he will fit the "Roberts Five" like a
machine-tooled cog.

In 2-1 decisions on the DC Circuit Court, Justice Kavanaugh supported
...a corporate or Republican position 91 percent of the time. Like the
"Roberts Five," Justice Kavanaugh supported dark money, union busting,
voter suppression, corporate pollution, guns and abortion
restrictions. He is significantly more conservative than the
Republican-appointed justice he is replacing. With his confirmation,
the billionaires' takeover of the courts has reached a new zenith...
Only recently have researchers been able to report on the political
attitudes of the richest Americans, and their findings are a
revelation: It turns out that F. Scott Fitzgerald was right when he
said, "The rich are different from you and me." They are much more
politically active than the average American, and much, much more
conservative.

Disraelly Gutierrez Jaime
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

     =====

Wow!
We must make our choice,” Louis Brandeis said. “We may have
democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few,
but we cannot have both.”

Dean Trimble
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: EXPERTS SOUND ALARM AFTER TRUMP CONFIRMS PLANS TO DITCH NUCLEAR
ARMS CONTROL TREATY WITH RUSSIA

Given that the current arsenals are enough to eliminate life on this
planet a few times over, I fail to see how increasing it even a
hundred fold would make a difference.

The real shame here is the money and other resources that are going to
be wasted playing this nuclear game between a handful of
megalomaniacs. If the trillions were instead spent bettering the world
and its inhabitants, we just might create a world for ourselves where
the threat of annihilation isn't required to keep a few powerful men
in check.

Marc Major
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

     =====

Roberto Rosario
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

     =====

I'm waiting to hear the spin on this from all the people who say
Russia owns Trump.

Alan Hart
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

     =====

They own a chunk, not a controlling interest. On this question, the
neocons have the inside track. Bolton is running this policy (Trump
has only the haziest notion of what nuclear weapons are, never mind
intermediate range platforms for them, he only deals with Russian
questions that involve money, or protecting him from Mueller)

Jack Radey
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

HALLOWEEN TERROR  --  CARTOON BY ROBERT ARIAIL

Robert Ariail [https://www.gocomics.com/robert-ariail/2018/10/29]
October 29, 2018

RE: MORE AMERICANS SUPPORTED HITLER THAN YOU MAY THINK

(posting on Portside Culture
[https://portside.org/2018-10-24/more-americans-supported-hitler-you-may-think])

Hitler was also very popular amongst the British Aristocracy.

Richard Skipp
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

     =====

Another reminder of why we white folks have a lot of organizing to do!
Not demonstrating, not mobilizing, but ORGANIZING.

Leanna Noble
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

     =====

The Racial Hygiene or Eugenics movement was strong in the USA. It
exchanged ideas back and forth with the German Nazis. The model of the
healthy, hardy, prosperous white Northern European type was applied in
Europe and in the United States. Even useful organizations like
Planned Parenthood slipped into racial purity modes. Here is one of
many examples.

FORCED STERILIZATION IN PUERTO RICO
October 23, 2008
Family Planning - Stanford University
[https://stanford.edu/group/womenscourage/cgi-bin/blogs/familyplanning/2008/10/23/forced-sterilization-in-puerto-rico/]

Sonia Collins
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: CESAR SAYOC WASN’T THE FIRST — AND WON’T BE THE LAST.

The content of this article, an elucidation by Mehdi Hasan of the use
of violence in the language of Donald Trump that leads all too often
to actual physical violence, while probably self-evident to many
readers of Portside, is a useful reminder of how pervasive is the
corruption of political discourse in the country — how the
cheapening of the tone and content of political discussion has become
endemic.

But there is an unintended manifestation of this very corruption in
the article itself. The article’s second paragraph begins with the
following sentence: "I have no doubt that Trump helped radicalize
Sayoc.” The third-from-the-last paragraph opens with these words:
"'It’s time we recognize that Trump’s unique social media presence
is a weapon of radicalization,’ wrote Republican strategist and
Trump critic Rick Wilson on Friday.” Thus, the very article is
framed by the misuse of the terms “radicalize” and
“radicalization.”

The traditional meaning of the word “radical" is someone who wants
to change society at its root. In this sense, someone becomes
“radicalized” when s/he undergoes one or several experiences which
reveal to that person that the problems of a society are so basic and
all-pervasive that to cure them attempts at reform are insufficient;
that the society must undergo a revolution. But now, if you google
“radicalize,” you will find something like this: “The use of the
Internet to radicalize and recruit terrorists.” Thus the original
associations of the word are lost, or even perverted, to connote
something like a violent extremist.

This change is more than unfortunate, since it deprives us of the
political content of the word. It is part of a wider pattern of
distortion: in common parlance, there are no more radicals or
reactionaries, there are only extreme liberals and extreme
conservatives. “Reds" are no longer Communists or leftist
revolutionaries, as when Warren Beattie starred in the film
“Reds,” in which he played John Reed, or when Malvina Reynolds
wrote a song about “The Little Red Hen,” which closes with these
words: "'Them that works not, shall not eat’,/That's my cred-o,”
the lit-tle bird said,/And that's why they called her Red.” Now
“reds" are merely inhabitants of "red states," as opposed to those
who live in "blue states.”

Thus has the two-party system come to monopolize our very language.

Gene Glickman

     =====

America is a history or terrorizing indigenous persons through
nationalism. Never forget we’re this country came from. If you want
to know we’re it’s going

Tommy Dixon
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

HOMEMADE BOMB  --  ANOTHER CARTOON BY ROB ROGERS

Rob Rogers
October 25, 2018
RobRogers.com [http://robrogers.com/2018/10/25/homemade-bomb/]

RE: DAVID IGE AND KIRK CALDWELL TELL HOTEL WORKERS THEY WON'T CROSS
PICKET LINES

(posting on Portside Labor
[https://portside.org/2018-10-24/david-ige-and-kirk-caldwell-tell-hotel-workers-they-wont-cross-picket-lines])

Thank you all for this information. And the strikers for their
courage.

Arnold Perey

RE: THE AMERICAN ECONOMY IS RIGGED

When other capitalist countries adopted a welfare state and medicare,
America lagged. That has contributed to poverty and inequality. The
union movement which brought a little democracy to industry has been
smashed. The Republicans have been messing with voter legislation to
deny people the vote and now Trump is president. He is shaking things
up but will do little for the poor. Instead he has made the tax system
even more favorable to the rich and he himself often does not pay
taxes.It is very sad and could evolve into a fascist state. But
Americans have put up with these trends I suppose because they
actually believed the myth that anyone could become a millionaire.It
is sad for America and dangerous for the democratic world.

Laurel MacDowell

RE: TRUMP'S SAUDI POLICY IS APPALLING. BUT IT'S NOT NEW.

This is important to keep reminding ourselves: Trump is not an
anomaly. He just does openly what his predecessors have done before.
Every. Single. US President has encouraged covert racism, militarism,
and has prized short to intermediate term economic gains over global
peace and human rights. Every. Single. One.

Clare Bear
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: CLASS CONSCIOUSNESS COMES TO AMERICA

(posting on Portside Labor
[https://portside.org/2018-10-30/class-consciousness-comes-america])

the magic of ruling-class consciousness? -- you don't even know you
have it! (seeing as how it's the only one allowed in schools & work &
entertainment & sports -- literature -- the press -- film -- TV --
essentially all media -- are you even reading this still?)...

Rusty Rebar
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

     =====

Even in Trump country? You mean we might have an opportunity to stop
calling them names, dismissing them as "deplorables", or saying
they're all racists, and find common ground? (I'm talking especially
about the 13% who switched from Obama to Trump. If racism wasn't their
motivation, what good does it do to ignore why they did vote for him?
Shouldn't we bother to wonder, since these voters sealed his victory?)

Dale Jacobson
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: BLOODY STRIKES CREATED THE AMERICA WE'RE NOW LOSING TO THE SUPER
RICH

(posting on Portside Labor
[https://portside.org/2018-10-22/bloody-strikes-created-america-were-now-losing-super-rich])

Workers rights should never be taken lightly, they are the backbone of
society.

Kevin Guy
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

     =====

There seems to be an increasing tendency to treat workers like low
caste “untouchables”. Give them a few crumbs (as few as possible)
and a mean job and make sure they toil diligently. If someone is
injured or needs time off for an emergency, well out they go. We
haven’t got the patience to deal with slackers! They are there to
serve us and they’d better know it!

Roberta Histed
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: LOUISIANA COURT DECLARES STATE'S NON-UNANIMOUS JURY VERDICT SCHEME
UNCONSTITUTIONAL, MOTIVATED BY RACIAL DISCRIMINATION

Southern states vow to keep Jim Crow alive no matter the law says.
They've had this bad taste in their mouths since the 1964 Civil Rights
laws were passed.

Tommy Capps
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: THE AMERICANS, THE SAUDIS, AND THE ISRAELIS: ASSASSINS WITHOUT
BORDERS

Mixing apples and oranges Feiffer includes people killed during riots
attempting to breach a country's borders with assassinations. Typical
of the propaganda from Israel haters. Israel has engaged in some real
assassinations, but these are not examples of that.

Stan Nadel

RE: THE KARL MARX OF MUSIC

On the article about Hanns Eisler

Despite his unimportant little error - like so many who equate
McCarthy and the HUAC - it's an unusually fair and knowledgeable
discussion of the years from Weimar to the GDR in terms of leftist
German song and music. Happily, it recalls the third in the
magnificent Brecht-Eisler-Busch trio -   Ernst Busch, the wonderful
actor and singer (and fighter) who collected, while in Spain during
the war there, and then recorded those wonderful Spanish Civil War
songs - the Einheitsfront-Lied, the Thälmann Column Song ("Far off is
our land....Freiheit") and others, which were recorded in Barcelona
during the bombing of that city by Mussolini's planes and later sung
by leftists the world over.

I partly grew up with them in 1944-45 thanks to the Busch album and
the song and square dance group of the AYD (led by Erwin Silber) which
met in the Fur Workers' Union Hall in NYC. I could add a few added
anecdotes - about Hanns Eisler breaking an arm during his US tour in
the mid-1930s, or Gerhard Eisler addressing our AYD meeting at Harvard
in 1948 -with an attempted right-wing provocation, or Busch meeting
Pete Seeger in East Berlin (with me translating). Also that Paul
Robeson sang a few of those songs, too, and that we always copied
Busch in singing one refrain each of the Einheitsfront-Lied (United
Front) in German, Spanish, French and English, but always carefully
copied (of course respectfully) his German accent in the English
version, ("For you are a vorker, too!, etc.)

Thanks to Brown and Jacobin and Portside,

Victor Grossman

EASTERN BAND OF CHEROKEE CHIEF: SEN. WARREN DOES NOT CLAIM TRIBAL
CITIZENRY; ONLY TRIBAL ANCESTRY

by Levi Rickert
October 18, 2018
Native News On Line
[https://nativenewsonline.net/currents/eastern-band-of-cherokee-chief-sen-warren-does-not-claim-tribal-citizenry-only-tribal-ancestry/]

CHEROKEE, N.C. — The leader of the Eastern Band of Cherokee
Indians, Principal Chief Richard Sneed,  has weighed in on Senator
Elizabeth Warren’s DNA test results that indicate she has American
Indian ancestry.

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Massachusetts) produced results of a DNA
test in an attempt to dispel the errorneous notion she was lying about
her claim her family has American Indian ancestry.

Senator Warren has been mocked by members of the Republican Party
since she ran for the U.S. Senate. In recent years, President Donald
Trump mocks by calling her “Pocahontas” in his stump speeches he
holds to energize his base.

In a statement sent Thursday morning to Native News Online, Chief
Sneed writes:_ _

_“The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians is a sovereign tribal nation
with the inherent authority to determine our own citizenship. Senator
Elizabeth Warren does not claim to be a citizen of any tribal nation,
and she is not a citizen of the Eastern Band. Like many other
Americans, she has a family story of Cherokee and Delaware ancestry
and evidence of Native ancestry. Some people who have family stories
or evidence of Native ancestry have sought to appropriate Cherokee
culture, claim a preference in hiring, claim that their art is
“Indian art,” or advance their careers based on a family story or
evidence of Native ancestry. We strongly condemn such actions as
harmful to our Tribal government and Cherokee people._

_BUT SENATOR WARREN HAS NOT TRIED TO APPROPRIATE CHEROKEE OR DELAWARE
CULTURE. SHE HAS NOT USED HER FAMILY STORY OR EVIDENCE OF NATIVE
ANCESTRY TO GAIN EMPLOYMENT OR OTHER ADVANTAGE. SHE HAS NOT TRIED TO
CLAIM A TREATY OR TRUST OBLIGATION, OR SEEK THE PROTECTION OF THE
INDIAN CHILD WELFARE ACT. ON THE CONTRARY, SHE DEMONSTRATES RESPECT
FOR TRIBAL SOVEREIGNTY BY ACKNOWLEDGING THAT TRIBES DETERMINE
CITIZENSHIP AND RESPECTING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CITIZENSHIP AND
ANCESTRY._

_Senator Warren also has sponsored legislation to help prevent
suicides in Indian country (“Native American Suicide Prevention
Act,” S. 3460), identify missing and murdered Native women
(“Savanna’s Act,” S. 1942), and help tribes reacquire lands that
were taken as a result of harmful federal policies (“Mashpee
Wampanoag Tribe Reservation Reaffirmation Act,” S. 2628). Senator
Warren also has worked with the Eastern Band to help us reacquire
important Cherokee historical sites in Tennessee (“Eastern Band of
Cherokee Historic Lands Reacquisition Act,” H.R. 146)._

_Senator Warren has demonstrated her respect for tribal sovereignty
and is an ally of the Eastern Band. As such, we support her and other
allies – regardless of party – who promote tribal sovereignty,
tribal self-determination, and protection of Cherokee women.”_

Chief Sneed’s statement differs significantly from the statement
issued by the Cherokee Nation
[http://cherokee%20nation%20issues%20statement%20on%20sen.%20warren%27s%20dna%20test%20results/],
based in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. On Monday, after Sen. Warren’s
campaign released DNA results that show she had American Indian
ancestry in her family, Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck
Hoskin, Jr. blasted Senator Warren.

“It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while
also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens,
whose ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is prove.
Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued
claims of tribal heritage,” Hoskin said in his statement.

THE DEMOCRATS BEFORE THE MIDTERMS: A MOVEMENT TO THE LEFT?

Photo: Matt Long/Flickr
By Moritz Wichmann
October 2018

In our new study, Moritz Wichmann takes a data-driven political
science approach to examine if an alleged leftward shift is currently
taking place in the Democratic Party just ahead of the midterms, and
what can we expect from progressives in the 116th U.S. Congress.

Available for download:
in English
[http://www.rosalux-nyc.org/wp-content/files_mf/wichmann_eng_final2768.pdf]
auf Deutsch
[http://www.rosalux-nyc.org/wp-content/files_mf/wichmann_deu_final13.pdf]

Is there a leftward shift currently taking place in the Democratic
Party? Are people in the United States actually moving to the left on
an issue-by-issue basis, in spite of the current rightward tilt of all
three branches of government?

These are some of the questions probed by Moritz Wichmann in his
timely analysis just ahead of the 2018 U.S. midterm election. As one
might guess, the answers are complex, and lead to still other
questions about the state of the U.S. polity. Different segments of
the U.S. right and even center-left warn of a “socialist takeover”
of the Democratic Party for very different reasons. And how relevant
is aggregated issue-by-issue preference data when “the 21 smallest
states have the population of California but 42 Senators compared to
California’s two”?

Not settling here, but rather pushing toward the bigger picture,
Wichmann takes a data-driven political science approach to analyze how
progressives are doing in general, how they have performed in recent
primaries, and what will be their place in the 116th Congress of the
United States.

If you want the answers to these questions, including an abundance of
often-surprising statistical evidence in support, you’ll just have
to read the paper.

Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, Inc. [http://www.rosalux-nyc.org/contact/]
275 Madison Avenue, Suite 2114
New York, NY 10016

PRESS CONTACT
Kazembe Balagun
(917) 409-1039

#WEAREHERE TO #ENDWHITENATIONALISM - NEW YORK - NOVEMBER 2 AND 6

Hundreds march in Pittsburgh on October 30th.
Photo by Miguel Marquez  //  The Jewish Vote

In the wake of pain and terror, something new has emerged: resistance,
pride and love of ourselves and our people, and solidarity with all
those targeted by white nationalist violence.

Yesterday Trump ignored the request of Pittsburgh’s Jewish community
to stay away, and came to visit the site of the deadliest antisemitic
attack in American history — an attack spurred by his hateful
rhetoric and conspiracy theories. Here’s what happened when he
did: Thousands of Jews flooded the streets to march and mourn, and to
turn his motorcade away
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-y/].

That same day, Jewish New Yorkers sat in and sat shiva outside the
Metropolitan Republican Club
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-j/] —
the very club that, earlier this month, hosted
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-t/] violent
white nationalist Gavin McInnes, after which members of the hate group
McInnes leads assaulted anti-fascist protesters. We sat, we mourned,
we said Kaddish for the thirteen people killed by white nationalists
in the past week: Maurice Stallard and Vickie Jones in Louisville,
and Joyce Fienberg, Richard Gottfried, Rose Mallinger, Jerry
Rabinowitz, Cecil Rosenthal, David Rosenthal, Bernice Simon, Sylvan
Simon, Daniel Stein, Melvin Wax, and Irving Younger in Pittsburgh.

14 people arrested outside of the Metropolitan Republican Club.
Photo by Sophie Ellman-Golan
We sent a clear message: We. Are. Here. Jews, Muslims, immigrants,
People of Color — and anyone who doesn't conform to the white
nationalist vision of America — won’t be scapegoated,
criminalized, or banned. Not this time. We are here, together,
and together we will outlive them
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-i/].

HERE’S HOW THE JEWISH VOTE AND OUR ALLIES ARE TAKING ACTION OVER THE
NEXT FEW DAYS:

	*  MARTY GOLDEN: JEWS & MUSLIMS ARE HERE TO #ENDWHITENATIONALISM:
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-b/] On
Friday, November 2nd, at 11:00am, The Jewish Vote
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-n/],
the Muslim Democratic Club of New York, and Yalla Brooklyn are
gathering at the Bay Ridge office of State Senator Marty Golden to
mourn, pray, and demand that Golden denounce white nationalism and
fire his staffer who invited Gavin McInnes to the Metropolitan
Republican Club. RSVP here
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-p/].

	* SOLIDARITY SHABBAT AND SAFETY PATROL IN JACKSON HEIGHTS
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-x/]: Friday,
November 2nd from 6:30-7:30pm at Diversity Plaza. Join JFREJ, the
Jewish Center of Jackson Heights, Malkhut, Kehillat Tikvah synagogue,
and our Hate Free Zones partners as we bring in Shabbat this Friday
night, protected by our Muslim and immigrant neighbors. As a Jewish
community, we don’t buy the suggestion that armed guards or more
cops in places of worship will keep us safe. Solidarity is our only
safety. Join us as we do some ritual, sing songs, and break homemade
challah together. We'll create space for collective mourning and
action against antisemitism, white supremacy, Islamophobia and
xenophobia, with the security of our neighbors surrounding us. Make
sure to wear layers, we’ll be outside! RSVP here
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-m/].

	* ELDERS SPEAKOUT AND PHONE BANK: Elders in our community are
particularly impacted by what happened at the Tree of Life Synagogue
on Saturday. Support our elders at a speakout against fascism on
Monday night 6-9 PM, followed by a GOTV phone bank hosted by The
Jewish Vote. RSVP to [log in to unmask]

Looking towards next week, you can join us for GOTV in Bay Ridge (sign
up here
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-c/])
and the Hudson Valley (sign up here
[https://jewsforracialeconomicjustice.createsend1.com/t/i-l-njijdjl-l-q/])
on both Monday and Tuesday.

With love and in solidarity,

Audrey Sasson

The Jewish Vote [http://jewishvote.org/]
330 Seventh Avenue, Suite 1901
New York, NY 10001

SANCTUARY CARAVAN

The right to migrate is fundamental. Without it, the right to work, to
be free, to live, cannot be realized. We reaffirm our conviction that
every member of the Central American Caravan has an inalienable human
right to flee from violence and poverty and toward better economic and
political conditions elsewhere, regardless of national boundaries. We
submit that they possess a right to enter and remain in the U.S. equal
to anyone born there.

It has become amoral to engage in neutrality or silence on the right
to migrate. On this issue there is a right side of history and a wrong
side – but there is no middle. Each of us is morally obliged to
choose such a side. The law will either make human beings illegal, or
it will legalize equality, but it cannot accomplish both. The world is
asking you to choose a side.

The New Sanctuary Coalition is resolved to choose the side of liberty
and equality. We are resolved to sacrifice in solidarity with those
leaders of liberty and pioneers of equality who are nonviolently
asserting their right to migrate by moving their caravan of brave
souls across the U.S./Mexican border. We are resolved to form a U.S.
Caravan of supporters who will meet the Central American Caravan in
Mexico, witness their movement, and accompany them into the U.S. At
the border, we will assist those seeking entry with their demands to
enter the US without losing their liberty.

Sign up here to receive updates [http://www.sanctuarycaravan.org/].

Your donation
[https://sanctuarycaravan-newsanctuarycoalition.nationbuilder.com/donate]
supports our work. From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for
your generosity!

NSC is fiscally sponsored by Judson Memorial Church, a 501c3
nonprofit. Donations are tax deductible.

FROM #BLACKLIVESMATTER TO BLACK LIBERATION - NEW YORK - NOVEMBER 5

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2018 AT 6 PM – 8 PM

New School
80 5th Avenue - Room G529
New York, NY 10011-8001

The Department of Historical Studies at the New School in New York
City is proud to announce our new public lecture series: CRITICAL
HISTORY TODAY.

The theme of the series builds upon our shared commitment to
developing modes of historical analysis that speak to the urgent
concerns of the present and that promote rigorous engagement between
history and other branches of the humanities and social sciences. Over
the coming years, we plan to invite working historians from across the
discipline to reflect on their approaches to writing Critical History
Today.

On November 5th, we will host Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor - Assistant
Professor in the Department of African American Studies at Princeton
University. Taylor examines the struggle against racism in
twenty-first century United States and places the Black lives Matter
movement within that context. Taylor looks at the promise of today's
movements in opening the possibility of a broader struggle for Black
liberation with her talk titled: From #BlackLivesMatter to Black
Liberation.

SHE'S BEAUTIFUL WHEN SHE'S ANGRY SCREENING - NEW YORK - NOVEMBER 9

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2018 AT 7 PM – 1:31 AM

Paper Tiger Television
168 Canal Street
New York, New York 10013

SHE’S BEAUTIFUL WHEN SHE’S ANGRY resurrects the buried history of
the outrageous, often brilliant women who founded the modern women’s
movement from 1966 to 1971. SHE’S BEAUTIFUL takes us from the
founding of NOW, with ladies in hats and gloves, to the emergence of
more radical factions of women’s liberation; from intellectuals like
Kate Millett to the street theatrics of WITCH (Women’s International
Conspiracy from Hell!). It does not shy away from controversies over
race, sexual preference and leadership that arose in the women’s
movement, and brilliantly captures the spirit of the time --
thrilling, scandalous, and often hilarious.

FILMMAKER MARY DORE IN PERSON FOR Q&A

Hosted by Paper Tiger Television
[https://www.facebook.com/papertigertv/?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser],
NYC for Abortion Rights
[https://www.facebook.com/NYCforAbortionRights/?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser]
and Metropolitan Anarchist Coordinating Council - MACC
[https://www.facebook.com/MACCnyc/?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser]

BLUE WAVE OR RED TIDE? 2018 POST-ELECTION REPORTERS ROUNDTABLE - NEW
YORK - NOVEMBER 16

2018 POST-ELECTION REPORTERS ROUNDTABLE
Co-sponsored by the CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies and the
CUNY Graduate School of Journalism

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 16TH  --  8:30AM-10:30AM

CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies
25 W. 43rd Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10036

In an electoral season in which the sitting presidential
administration has loomed large, what do the elections tell us about
the current political landscape, especially with regard to racial,
gender and class voting patterns? What do the contemporary Democratic
and Republican Parties stand for? What are the challenges and
possibilities that face people and organizations committed to social
and economic justice?

Speakers Include:

	* SARAH JAFFE: @SarahLJaffe [http://@SarahLJaffe] – Nation
Institute Fellow; Co-host, Dissent magazine’s Belabored podcast;
Columnist, New Labor Forum
 	* JOHN NICHOLS: @NicholsUprising [http://@NicholsUprising] –
National Affairs Correspondent, The Nation; Contributing writer, The
Progressive and In These Times
 	* SABRINA SIDDIQUI: @SabrinaSiddiqui [http://@SabrinaSiddiqui] –
Political Reporter, The Guardian; Contributor, CBSN, MSNBC, CNN, The
Bill Press Show
 	* MODERATOR: DARYL KHAN – Distinguished Lecturer & Director of the
Urban Reporting Program, CUNY Graduate School of Journalism; New York
Bureau Chief, Juvenile Justice Information Exchange and Youth Today

RSVP HERE
[https://www.eventbrite.com/e/blue-wave-or-red-tide-2018-post-election-reporters-roundtable-tickets-51759702664]

PEACE WITH IRAN SUMMIT - WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 1

EXCITING DAY-LONG SUMMIT ON PEACE WITH IRAN

DECEMBER 1, 2018  --  9AM-5PM,

First Congregational United Church of Christ
945 G St NW
Washington, DC 20001

Join CODE PINK [https://www.codepink.org/iransummit] and the
researchers, journalists, activists and cultural workers they are
bringing together to examine ways we can support Iranian civil
society, pressure the US administration and Congress for a “no
sanctions, no war” agenda, and push the US media to do a better job
covering the US-Iran crisis.

FIRST 50 PEOPLE TO REGISTER RECEIVE A **SPECIAL GIFT**!!!

Speakers will include the brilliant Larry Wilkerson, former Chief of
State for Colin Power; National Iranian American Council President
Jamal Abdi; women’s rights activist Sussan Tahmasebi and Atlantic
Council author/analyst Barbara Slavin. We will also have exhibits of
Iranian art, music, calligraphy and other activities to highlight the
beautiful Iranian culture.

The Summit, which is sponsored by 26 organizations, comes at a time
when tensions between U.S and Iran are escalating, and the
reimposition of sanctions following the US withdrawal from the Iran
nuclear deal is causing tremendous hardship for ordinary Iranians. We
must do everything in our power to stop another war and find relief
for the Iranian people.

Cost is only $10-$100 sliding scale. Register now
[https://www.codepink.org/iransummit_payment] to ensure your place.
Space is limited.

WATCH ONLINE: Can't make it in person? Sign up here to watch the
Summit Online [https://www.codepink.org/watch_iransummit_online].

The UFPJ Coordinating Committee
Co-sponsor of the Summit on Peace With Iran

REMEMBERING JESSE LEMISCH, 1936–2018 - NEW YORK - DECEMBER 6

The Tamiment Library will host a memorial event for the late historian
Jesse Lemisch on December 6, 2018 from 4:30-6:30 PM. Following an
hour’s worth of scheduled speeches, time will be allowed for
attendees to add memories and comments of their own, followed by
informal socializing with refreshments.

Scheduled speakers include several important figures who knew Lemisch
both as an important radical intellectual and as a longtime friend:
Staughton Lynd, another influential figure in the emergence of New
Left history (he will speak via Skype); Marcus Rediker, author of
several history books that reflect Lemisch’s concern with “history
from below”; and Ann Gordon, director of the Stanton-Anthony Papers
on the history of the woman suffrage movement. Blanche Wiesen Cook,
biographer of Eleanor Roosevelt and a colleague of Lemisch at the John
Jay College of Criminal Justice, will be MC for the event.

In recognition of Lemisch’s standing, the event is being
co-sponsored by the following: NYU History Department, Historians for
Peace and Democracy, the Radical History Review, the American Social
History Project / Center for New Media, and the Society for US
Intellectual History.

For more information, contact historian Robert (Robby) Cohen of New
York University at [log in to unmask]

DECEMBER 6, 2018 FROM 4:30-6:30 PM.

The Tamiment Library & Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives
Elmer Holmes Bobst Library
70 Washington Square South
Room 10-03
New York, NY 10012
 ​
RSVP: email [log in to unmask] with guest name(s) & event title.

PEGGY LIPSCHUTZ - 100 YEARS STRONG - CHICAGO - DECEMBER 8

Peggy [http://www.peggylipschutz.com/] is first and foremost a
passionate human being in love with life and a commitment to what it
could be. Towards that end she has dedicated most of her one hundred
years on the planet to making art that makes people think – and then
re-think – their ideas about racism, sexism, politics, health,
justice and meaning. She does it with a dash of line and color and a
deft daub of humor. Her humor retains the sly, dry attitude of her
British heritage and grabs you by surprise.

She’s not afraid to express strong opinions and back them up with a
ferocious amount of knowledge gleaned from daily reading and listening
to news shows. And all her artwork must pass the test of being - not
just one of these, but all three simultaneously - strong, beautiful
and true!

But politics is only one side of this multi-talented woman who also
has honed a deep spirituality over the last 25 years. Seeking to
understand the inner world and its demands for justice and wisdom and
courage has led her to explore that terrain with the same rigor with
which she has taken on corrupt powers in the outer world. Finding her
balance, literally and metaphorically, through a decades-long yoga
practice, makes her one of the most grounded, robust and mentally
sharp centenarians you will ever meet.

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 8  --  NOON - 3PM

Old Town School of Folk Music - Szold Hall
4544 N. Lincoln Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625

A MUSICAL JOURNEY THROUGH TEN DECADES OF ACTIVIST ARTISTRY

Sharing Music in Honor of Peggy's Birthday will be:

	* KRISTIN LEMS   ~   JAMIE O'REILLY   ~   KATHY COWAN   ~
MARK DVORAK   ~   REBECCA ARMSTRONG
 	* members of the CHICAGO LYRIC OPERA ORCEHSTRA
 	* friends of the GILBERT & SULLIVAN COMPANY, and others!

***If you would like to bring something simple to share, there will be
a potluck table for finger-food, sandwiches, cookies, fruit, etc. A
cake will be provided.  Please contact the Party Planners if you'd
like to bring food!

Friends of Peggy: The Party Planning Passel
[http://www.peggylipschutz.com/]

Rebecca Armstrong, Peg Brown, Kathy Cowan, MaryJo Deysach, Maureen
Flannery, Melissa Kirk, Kristin Lems, Mark Rogovin, Alan & Jerri
Zbrial, & other kind persons!

	*