[ The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), the
nations largest union representing federal employees, urged Congress
to override the move and stick to the Senates pay proposal. ]
[https://portside.org/]

 TRUMP NIXES FEDERAL PAY RAISE
[https://portside.org/2018-09-01/trump-nixes-federal-pay-raise]

 Niv Elis
 August 30, 2018
The Hill
[http://thehill.com/policy/finance/404398-trump-nixes-federal-pay-raise]

[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-09-01/trump-nixes-federal-pay-raise]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2018-09-01/trump-nixes-federal-pay-raise]
	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?text=Trump%20Nixes%20Federal%20Pay%20Raise&url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-09-01/trump-nixes-federal-pay-raise]

 _ The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), the
nation's largest union representing federal employees, urged Congress
to override the move and stick to the Senate's pay proposal. _

 , The Daily Caller

President Trump [http://thehill.com/people/donald-trump] on Thursday
announced that he would cancel a scheduled 2.1 percent
across-the-board pay increase for federal workers, as well as locality
pay increases.

"In light of our Nation's fiscal situation, Federal employee pay must
be performance-based, and aligned strategically toward recruiting,
retaining, and rewarding high-performing Federal employees and those
with critical skill sets," Trump wrote in a letter to the Speaker of
the House and the president of the Senate.

The proposal sets up a fight with Congress, which could effectively
overturn the action in upcoming spending legislation. Without such
intervention, the move would affect most of the 2.1 million federal
employees around the nation, about 1.7 million of which live in areas
outside of the Washington, D.C., metro area.

Members of the military, on the other hand, are on schedule to receive
a 2.6 percent pay increase.

Last year, the Trump administration approved a 1.4 percent increase in
federal pay and a 2.4 percent increase in military pay.

In the letter, Trump said he had the authority to propose an
alternative pay schedule based on Title V of the U.S. Code, which
allows the president to alter scheduled pay changes he deems
inappropriate in light of "national emergency or serious economic
conditions affecting the general welfare."

Trump's 2019 budget proposal sought to freeze federal pay, but the
Senate Appropriations Committee included a 1.9 percent pay bump in its
spending plans for 2019. The House version of the bill did not include
such an increase, and sought reductions to spending on federal pension
plans.

The two chambers are scheduled to meet in the coming weeks to work out
the differences between their bills, negotiations which could
effectively override Trump's move to cut pay. Trump has not indicated
if he would veto such a measure if it included a pay increase.

Democrats, and some Republicans, blasted the move.

“For someone who claims to be a leadership maven, President Trump
certainly gives the impression through his actions that he has no idea
how to run an effective organization," said Rep. Steny Hoyer
[http://thehill.com/people/steny-hoyer] (D-Md.), the No. 2 Democrat
in the House.

"Cutting federal pay is not the way to run the best government
possible or to recruit and retain the most talented Americans to serve
their fellow countrymen," he added.

Rep. Eric Swalwell [http://thehill.com/people/eric-swalwell]
(D-Calif.) wrote in a tweet
[https://twitter.com/RepSwalwell/status/1035216736025550849] that
Trump's actions "screwed" federal employees.

"To the hard-working federal employees Trump just screwed by cutting
pay — the folks who run our parks, protect our communities, & serve
our veterans: YOU MATTER. If billionaires can get tax cuts, you should
get a [cost of living adjustment]. You work hard for America & that
should add up to something," he wrote.

To the hard-working federal employees Trump just screwed by cutting
pay — the folks who run our parks, protect our communities, & serve
our veterans: YOU MATTER. If billionaires can get tax cuts, you should
get a COLA. You work hard for America & that should add up to
something.

— Rep. Eric Swalwell (@RepSwalwell) August 30, 2018
[https://twitter.com/RepSwalwell/status/1035216736025550849?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]

Rep. Barbara Comstock
[http://thehi-cache-18jbml93ahwwn-1125717783.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com/people/barbara-comstock]
(R-Va.) said she was strongly opposed to the move, arguing that GOP
support for federal workers should extend beyond ICE and homeland
security officials.

"Dedicated work is also done by our civilian employees at other
national security agencies, the FBI, DEA and other law enforcement
agencies, as well as the National Institute of Health where dedicated
federal employees search for cures to diseases that drive up the costs
of health care everyday," she said.

"We cannot balance the budget on the backs of our federal employees
and I will work with my House and Senate colleagues to keep the pay
increase in our appropriations measures that we vote on in
September,” she added.

The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), the nation's
largest union representing federal employees, urged Congress to
override the move and stick to the Senate's pay proposal.

“President Trump’s plan to freeze wages for these patriotic
workers next year ignores the fact that they are worse off today
financially than they were at the start of the decade," said AFGE
National President J. David Cox Sr.

"Federal employees have had their pay and benefits cut by over $200
billion since 2011, and they are earning nearly 5 percent less today
than they did at the start of the decade," he added.

The federal deficit has exploded under Trump, with the advent of the
GOP tax law that is projected to cost $1.9 trillion over the course of
a decade, as well as a bipartisan spending deal that increased
discretionary spending by nearly $300 billion in 2018 and 2019.
_-- Updated at 4:39 p.m._