[Californians are ready to fight to reclaim over $11 billion
robbed every year from schools and local communities, shaping a new
legacy of investment in the people of California.]
[https://portside.org/]

 A NEW 40 YEAR LEGACY FOR CALIFORNIA
[https://portside.org/2018-09-03/new-40-year-legacy-california]

 Anthony Thigpenn
 August 15, 2018
California Calls [http://www.cacalls.org/]

[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-09-03/new-40-year-legacy-california]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2018-09-03/new-40-year-legacy-california]
	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?text=A%20New%2040%20Year%20Legacy%20for%20California&url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-09-03/new-40-year-legacy-california]

 _ Californians are ready to fight to reclaim over $11 billion robbed
every year from schools and local communities, shaping a new legacy of
investment in the people of California. _

 Bay Area Press Conference, California Calls

WE HAVE REACHED AN INCREDIBLE AND HISTORIC MILESTONE IN OUR EFFORT TO
SHAPE A NEW LEGACY FOR CALIFORNIA - mid-August we are submitted over
860,000 signatures to qualify Schools and Communities First for the
November 2020 ballot. Yesterday, hundreds of members of our coalition
celebrated at 5 press conferences across the state in San Diego
[http://click.actionnetwork.org/mpss/c/CQE/ni0YAA/t.2k1/Q8oVcg8iQJy2h3wDneOyRg/h0/Usn2hvARlzFPG856MdUtLdKm3RzQMb927X0c2zJWEdp1OL-2ByDmljThEZMvUtR9ZEPBWf4u7XDUhjI3N54eh14FrSSpM6n-2FruJBQcVDQByRd7jO6-2F3OGawJzjB56RaDfL0N0tKsFhLRvFXx7FeCdXFm05-2BUGqmhxoWAun11z22BisutHVeENin0NvdyRJCpwIN5oWjgherkZsUElHhU-2FEUtRoPOyW4EcCKTkwHgBmodydFh4DOH9VlGa2RYaZOCSiiOBxDzMCC4bk5-2FEcFDoCx908bYimzDxSqvnH3qLXIoaU8EwTKjLiExL-2BifNoOdk8XSGS3r8916A7ZediD-2Fk-2F8GvlucRm8tPo3sE4cRpJZMM-3D],
Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Fresno, and the Bay Area
[http://click.actionnetwork.org/mpss/c/CQE/ni0YAA/t.2k1/Q8oVcg8iQJy2h3wDneOyRg/h1/2OqMAVJOUysTRUq4zi7uw8wskhnduZdWiYnYsSw-2Fv0VFw4kz3iape7GhqQ6HGpbASPwupMRO15tdSXsq0Ja97kxH-2FhAj5-2FYLE9w22WFfekcW3wb-2BbkkNQcp3vDtWX5y6jwPiTymu7M-2FvxVPYM-2By8LlKxUtDg6pDFcWtr1FAUN3Hd2xOyio9dUQsMulA4Q2LMCRQqwGgB9ftLfaStk6rSj0ORNpp-2F0dTDqE2W9mltoDpVXQAVhfUaoqtwBxEWLXPBVD7bZMo-2F7Hnusr1PbCmBpJuUs9Xh4mN1F9vfd6qeBRKU3vOAp03ITEFPT2zOPJKQfE7jCxh7NLk8fLXjaNKHHD1uCghlYTbvKqpar3E-2B50dLj9pS07j5qSdaUyHMopzh].

TOGETHER, WE ARE MAKING HISTORY. YOUR SUPPORT IS MORE CRUCIAL THAN
EVER.
[http://click.actionnetwork.org/mpss/c/CQE/ni0YAA/t.2k1/Q8oVcg8iQJy2h3wDneOyRg/h2/aHO21LnX1DH2iKGsTPn3bYhi39zkK-2F5KLSrcx61KPVGPQu45eornNXBobKaWgeAypRDn-2BbhUlh3y-2FOlosItssYzNsRVqYb59-2BSH6OdAQ0ZqZDOHvCyQ98Y72gLRBiCeZjWrCXtVbHz7A3m0s5BPaU23lqQZ-2B8Z-2B0ZkWrah9znut6vvH2604y-2Fy-2FxiVVZNQ5xLyHoeMxN07KZTC16iaymBbzJkhe49nVyoGpMa3STcxzWgGmktyZyl5GF0589jhl0m9K3N2F17YL8c-2BJ-2BD3iH8tW7Qq9mrNJ7e18FVZWso6M-3D]

Over the last 40 years, CALIFORNIA HAS LOST HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF
DOLLARS IN REVENUE thanks to Prop 13, leading to chronic underfunding
of schools and services, poor local land use decisions, disinvestment
in local communities, and a spiraling housing crisis.

Now, Californians are ready to fight to reclaim over $11 billion
robbed every year from schools and local communities, shaping a new
legacy of investment in the people of California.

Together, our statewide movement has achieved what many thought could
never be done.
[http://click.actionnetwork.org/mpss/c/CQE/ni0YAA/t.2k1/Q8oVcg8iQJy2h3wDneOyRg/h3/aHO21LnX1DH2iKGsTPn3bYhi39zkK-2F5KLSrcx61KPVGPQu45eornNXBobKaWgeAyBthTB4TckHKSIxlVT5I69v7MuuR2-2Fs6rt2C13AOpNgLBcknRXIFeQyxuFhXw9-2BBV5V5hcOrjqc-2BkqhJXowZnRqjbxcViW1WS-2FJBECgV-2B-2BAo93dd3gLgOwCV8P8Jdpj1-2BJyz2pMdi5oSjwjGYb-2FkvilaoNnZaE9NOF5fm0V9dpIUdjJsy0YUf6SQcP0LTjR-2BjW9Obc19k99ggbE7f12ioPgv2Q2hqUY5enZKBOckfvMc-3D]

NO COMMERCIAL PROPERTY TAX REFORM MEASURE HAS EVER GAINED ENOUGH
SIGNATURES TO QUALIFY FOR THE BALLOT. Not only will School and
Communities First qualify, we have gone above and beyond the amount of
signatures needed to secure a spot on the ballot for the November 2020
general election.

In just 6 months:

●     WE RAISED $3.6 MILLION FROM SCORES OF DONORS - LARGE AND
SMALL - that had the courage to stand with us and insist that now is
the time for the bold change our communities need. Special thanks to
the San Francisco Foundation, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, United
Teachers of Los Angeles, the California Federation of Teachers, the
American Federation of Teachers, Molly Munger and Steve English, Liz
Simons, and Bill Resnick and Michael Stubbs.

●     The SCHOOLS AND COMMUNITIES FIRST COALITION, with over 25
organizations on the Steering Committee, also contributed mightily to
make this happen with donations ranging from $2,500 to $250,000.

●     5,000 LOCAL ACTIVISTS AND 90 ORGANIZATIONS UP AND DOWN
CALIFORNIA COLLECTED OVER 105,000 SIGNATURES from their friends,
neighbors, and co-workers to qualify the measure for the ballot.

●     WE SECURED NEARLY 300 ENDORSEMENTS—including the
California State PTA, California Association of NonProfits, the
California Association of Retired Americans, the Silicon Valley
Community Foundation, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, and
Oakland City Council—along with dozens of local elected officials.

WHAT WE ARE BUILDING IS POWERFUL. We are uniting California around a
new vision of shared prosperity - from north to south, urban and
rural, workers and business leaders, seniors and young people,
teachers and students, long-time residents and newcomers. The work to
get here has been long and hard, but we always knew taking on the
taking on the ‘“third rail of California’s politics” would not
be easy.

Now we begin the next phase of this historic battle. Submitting our
signatures is the first step, now the work of building the mass base
of support we need to win begins.

JOIN US AS WE MOVE FORWARD IN MAKING HISTORY.

Anthony Thigpenn, California Calls

P.S. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT TO HELP US BUILD TOWARD 2020. WILL YOU
DONATE TODAY TO HELP PUSH OUR CAMPAIGN FORWARD?
[http://click.actionnetwork.org/mpss/c/CQE/ni0YAA/t.2k1/Q8oVcg8iQJy2h3wDneOyRg/h4/aHO21LnX1DH2iKGsTPn3bYhi39zkK-2F5KLSrcx61KPVGPQu45eornNXBobKaWgeAytYomEfVH1e-2BPib1PP8sKllU43LYTC8i-2BxSeJFjuI60HAPPsMNLvK1JXsSgQDWknk43VhCcJV0yR5VLmGzzsHKEjYw6PFXPiABI-2F-2Bt29oRpDlFKCzucN6Uz5lqlx8gfMe91JmOtaqpfkWb6LNsWXekx-2BwU8PqGvQI6VcLr1Uw6JVfEb2C5JiyDGdcawoexIoOC9K4LXm1k-2BvMQXaOK6dN8yktLTNLA-2B1q1p8HGKaYU0k-3D]