Print

 		 [Donald Trump, Jr. blames Democrats for the death of Mollie
Tibbetts. Racist robocalls traced to neo-Nazi group target Andrew
Gillum. Open, blatant appeals to racism are now the daily common
political currency of Trump and the Ultra Right.]
[https://portside.org/]

 FROM MOLLIE TIBBETTS TO ANDREW GILLUM - OVERT RACISM: THE DAILY
SHARED CURRENCY OF TRUMP AND ULTRA RIGHT
[https://portside.org/2018-09-02/mollie-tibbetts-andrew-gillum-overt-racism-daily-shared-currency-trump-and-ultra-right]

 September 2, 2018
Huffington Post, Tallahassee Democrat

[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-09-02/mollie-tibbetts-andrew-gillum-overt-racism-daily-shared-currency-trump-and-ultra-right]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2018-09-02/mollie-tibbetts-andrew-gillum-overt-racism-daily-shared-currency-trump-and-ultra-right]
	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?text=From%20Mollie%20Tibbetts%20to%20Andrew%20Gillum%20-%20Overt%20Racism%3A%20the%20Daily%20Shared%20Currency%20of%20Trump%20and%20Ultra%20Right%20&url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-09-02/mollie-tibbetts-andrew-gillum-overt-racism-daily-shared-currency-trump-and-ultra-right]

 _ Donald Trump, Jr. blames Democrats for the death of Mollie
Tibbetts. Racist robocalls traced to neo-Nazi group target Andrew
Gillum. Open, blatant appeals to racism are now the daily common
political currency of Trump and the Ultra Right. _

 Donald Trump, Jr. ignores pleas from relatives not to exploit death
of 20-year-old college student for politics.,

‘DON’T USE MOLLIE’ TO PUSH RACISM, SAYS DAD WHO POINTS TO
‘HEARTLESS’ DONALD TRUMP JR.
Mary Papenfuss
Huffington Post
September 2, 2018
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dont-use-mollie-tibbetts-death-to-promote-racism-says-dad_us_5b8b45dfe4b0511db3d94eb1
[https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dont-use-mollie-tibbetts-death-to-promote-racism-says-dad_us_5b8b45dfe4b0511db3d94eb1]

The father of slain University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts lashed
out Saturday at those who are using her tragic death to promote their
own political agendas. To do so is “despicable” and
“heartless,”
[https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/opinion/columnists/2018/09/01/mollie-tibbetts-father-common-decency-immigration-heartless-despicable-donald-trump-jr-column/1163131002/]
Rob Tibbetts wrote, throwing Donald Trump Jr.
[https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/donald-trump-jr]’s own words
back at him in an opinion piece in the Des Moines Register.

Tibbetts said the family was “grateful” to those who respected
their pleas to not turn his daughter’s death into a political
confrontation.

“Sadly, others have ignored our request,” he wrote. “They have
instead chosen to callously distort and corrupt Mollie’s tragic
death to advance a cause she vehemently opposed.”

Mollie Tibbetts, 20, was found dead earlier this month after she went
for a jog in Brooklyn, Iowa, in July. Authorities have said the man
accused of abducting and killing her is an undocumented immigrant
[https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mollie-tibbetts-defense-lawyer-gag-order_us_5b7f0c95e4b0348585fecd42]
from Mexico.

President Donald Trump
[https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/donald-trump] — who has not
contacted the Tibbetts family to offer condolences — immediately
posted a video about Mollie’s death on Twitter, saying: “We need
the wall
[https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1032393212126613504] ...
we need our immigration laws changed.” He also referenced her death
to push his anti-immigrant views at a West Virginia rally.

While Rob Tibbetts wrote that he encourages debate on immigration, he
added: “Do not appropriate Mollie’s soul in advancing views she
believed were profoundly racist. The act grievously extends the crime
that stole Mollie from our family and is, to quote Donald Trump Jr.,
[https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/opinion/columnists/2018/08/31/donald-trump-jr-democrats-reaction-mollie-tibbetts-death-heartless-illegal-immigration-border-wall/1143005002/] ‘heartless’ and
‘despicable.’”

Trump’s eldest son wrote an op-ed piece that appeared in the same
newspaper Friday — after family pleas not to politicize Mollie’s
death — blaming Democrats for her homicide,
[https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/opinion/columnists/2018/08/31/donald-trump-jr-democrats-reaction-mollie-tibbetts-death-heartless-illegal-immigration-border-wall/1143005002/] calling
her a “casualty of the left’s love for open borders.” Trump Jr.
called Democrats “heartless” and “despicable.”

Mollie is not a “pawn in others’ debate,” Tibbetts wrote,
calling his daughter his “best friend” who had an “extraordinary
life.”

She “may not be able to speak for herself, but I can and will.
Please leave us out of your debate. Allow us to grieve in privacy and
with dignity. At long last, show some decency.”

He added: “As I write this, I am watching Sen. John McCain lie in
state in the Capitol Rotunda and know that evil will succeed only if
good people do nothing. Both Mollie and Sen. McCain were good people.
I know that both would stand up now and do something.”

The person who is “accused of taking Mollie’s life is no more a
reflection of the Hispanic community as white supremacists are of all
white people. To suggest otherwise is a lie,” Tibbetts wrote.

To the Hispanic community, he added: “My family stands with you and
offers its heartfelt apology. That you’ve been beset by the
circumstances of Mollie’s death is wrong. We treasure the
contribution you bring to the American tapestry in all its color and
melody.”

Tibbetts noted that his stepdaughter — whom “Mollie loved so
dearly — is Latina. Her sons — Mollie’s cherished nephews and my
grandchildren — are Latino. That means I am Hispanic. I am African.
I am Asian. I am European. My blood runs from every corner of the
Earth because I am American. As an American, I have one tenet: to
respect every citizen of the world and actively engage in the ongoing
pursuit to form a more perfect union.”

To “knowingly foment discord among races is a disgrace to our
flag,” he added. “It ... lends legitimacy to the darkest, most
hate-filled corners of the American soul. It is the opposite of
leadership. It is the opposite of humanity. It is heartless. It is
despicable. It is shameful.”

Tibbetts said in an interview with the Des Moines Register that he was
compelled to compose the column after he read what Donald Trump Jr.
had written.
[https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2018/09/01/mollie-tibbetts-search-father-rob-tibbetts-illegal-immigration-cristhian-bahena-rivera-trump-jr/1171714002/]

The president’s son could not immediately be reached for comment.

Tibbetts also informed the newspaper about an appalling robocall he
received
[https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2018/09/01/mollie-tibbetts-search-father-rob-tibbetts-illegal-immigration-cristhian-bahena-rivera-trump-jr/1171714002/]
at home from a neo-Nazi website
[https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/neo-nazi-robocalls-target-andrew-gillum-in-florida-governors-race_us_5b89bc9fe4b0162f47236bd0]
calling the Tibbetts traitors to their race. It claimed if Mollie
could be brought back to life, she would say of immigrants, “Kill
them all.”

“It was unbelievably painful,” recalled Tibbetts, who said his
wife, Kacey Auston-Tibbetts, became physically ill when she heard the
call. “It was everything that’s dark and wrong in America right
now.”

RACIST ROBOCALLS TIED TO NEO-NAZI GROUP TARGET ANDREW GILLUM
Jeff Burlew
Tallahassee Democrat
August 31, 2018
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/08/31/racist-robocalls-tied-neo-nazi-group-targets-andrew-gillum/1157860002/
[https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/08/31/racist-robocalls-tied-neo-nazi-group-targets-andrew-gillum/1157860002/]

Robocalls against Democratic gubernatorial nominee Andrew Gillum that
say they were paid for by a neo-Nazi group in Idaho are going out to
voters in Tallahassee.

The automated calls are narrated by someone pretending to be Gillum
and using an exaggerated minstrel dialect with jungle noises in the
background. The calls end with a  disclaimer that they were funded
by The Road to Power, an anti-Semitic, white supremacist website and
podcast linked to Scott Rhodes of Sandpoint, Idaho.

According to the Des Moines Register, a sister paper of the
Tallahassee Democrat, the group has been linked to other robocall
campaigns in Charlottesville, Virginia, Oregon and California.

Terry Kant-Rauch, a Tallahassee realtor, received one of the robocalls
this morning in the voice mail of her cell phone. Kant-Rauch, a
Democrat who happens to have a biracial daughter, became emotional
after hearing it, she said.

“Campaign on the merits,” she said, “not on the color of his
skin.”

Geoff Burgan, communications director for Gillum's campaign, responded
by saying, "This is reprehensible — and could only have come from
someone with intentions to fuel hatred and seek publicity. Please
don’t give it undeserved attention."

The Democrat chose not to publish the audio because of its blatantly
racist and offensive content. The call came from a phone number in
Tallahassee with a 222 prefix.

The Democrat left a message for Rhodes, who also goes by the name
Scott Platek, according to the Register. He did not immediately return
the phone call.

The Register reported earlier this week that robocalls from The Road
to Power were going out using the death of Mollie Tibbetts
[https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/politics/2018/08/29/mollie-tibbetts-robocall-brooklyn-iowa-immigration-white-supremacist-white-nationalist-neo-nazi/1134435002/] to
promote white supremacist messages. Tibbetts, a University of Iowa
student, disappeared July 18, and her body was discovered more than a
month later. So-called alt-right groups have attempted to capitalize
on her killing because the suspect is an undocumented immigrant from
Mexico.

The Ron DeSantis campaign sent out a statement after news broke,
condemning the robocall as "absolutely appalling and disgusting"

"And hopefully whoever is behind this has to answer for this
despicable action. Our campaign has and will continue to focus solely
on the issues that Floridians care about and uniting our state as we
continue to build on our success," said Stephen Lawson, communications
director for the campaign.

_Contact Jeff Burlew at [log in to unmask] or follow @JeffBurlew
on Twitter._