[Reader Comments: Young Voters, New Voters; Barack Obama Nelson
Mandela Speech; Uranium Danger, Tar Sands Explosion in West Virginia;
Julian Assange; Immigrant Hunger Strikes; Kavanaugh; Israels Jewish
Nation State Law; Cuban Revolution; and more..]
[https://portside.org/]

 TIDBITS - JULY 26, 2018 - READER COMMENTS: YOUNG VOTERS, NEW VOTERS;
OBAMA NELSON MANDELA SPEECH; URANIUM DANGER, TAR SANDS EXPLOSION;
JULIAN ASSANGE; IMMIGRANTS, DEPORTATIONS; KAVANAUGH; ISRAEL'S JEWISH
'NATION STATE' LAW; CUBAN REVOLUTION; AND MORE...
[https://portside.org/node/17765]

 July 26, 2018
Portside

[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/node/17765]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/node/17765]
	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?text=Tidbits%20-%20July%2026%2C%202018%20-%20Reader%20Comments%3A%20Young%20Voters%2C%20New%20Voters%3B%20Obama%20Nelson%20Mandela%20Speech%3B%20Uranium%20Danger%2C%20Tar%20Sands%20Explosion%3B%20Julian%20Assange%3B%20Immigrants%2C%20Deportations%3B%20Kavanaugh%3B%20Israel%27s%20Jewish%20%27Nation%20State%27%20Law%3B%20Cuban%20Revolution%3B%20and%20more...&url=https%3A//portside.org/node/17765]

 _ Reader Comments: Young Voters, New Voters; Barack Obama Nelson
Mandela Speech; Uranium Danger, Tar Sands Explosion in West Virginia;
Julian Assange; Immigrant Hunger Strikes; Kavanaugh; Israel's Jewish
'Nation State' Law; Cuban Revolution; and more.. _

 Tidbits - Reader Comments, Resources and Announcements - July 26,
2018, Portside

Re: New Young Voters May Decide Florida in 2018 (Dave Bell; Gwen
Andrews)
Cherish the memory (Michael Eisenscher)
16th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture - Former President Barack Obama
Re: The 90 Million Gallon Nuclear Tragedy That Nobody Knows About
(Gigi Morales; Pedro A Figueroa; Lorelei Kay; Reber Boult; Caroline
Specht; Fred Niles)
From Berlin To The American Southwest - The International Uranium Film
Festival - Arizona and New Mexico (Window Rock; Flagstaff;
Albuquerque; and Santa Fe) - November 29 - December 9 (Norbert
Suchanek)
Re: Ecuador Will Imminently Withdraw Asylum for Julian Assange and
Hand Him Over to the U.K. What Comes Next? (Jenny Kastner; James E.
Vann)
Re: Rebuilding the Working Class (Daniel Millstone)
Re: Detaining Immigrant Kids Is Now a Billion-Dollar Industry (Lucy
Rosado)
Re: Immigrant Mothers Are Staging Hunger Strikes to Demand Calls with
Their Separated Children (Carole Thomas Dubniczky; Jack Brown; Jay
Schaffner)
Re: Did You Feel Betrayed by Trump's Press Conference With Putin?
That's a Taste of How Black People Feel Every Day. (Mary Anne
Merrill-Ramirez; Rich Crawford)
Re: The Kavanaugh Nomination and Labor (Randall Lewis; Robbie Wayne
Bush)
Facts Do Matter
Re: We Know Protests Work. So Why Aren’t We Protesting? (Leonard J.
Lehrman; Shortbus Ed; Jay Reagan; Sammy Russo)
Re: Israel Adopts Controversial Jewish 'Nation State' Law (Howie
Leveton; Lisa Bilander-Gray; Nick Unger; Dorothy Dobbyn; Jim Crotty)
Re: American Arithmetic - Portside Culture postings (Leanna Noble)

RESOURCES:

The Unequal States of America (Economic Policy Institute)
The Crisis Next Time: Planning for Public Ownership as an Alternative
to Corporate Bank Bailouts (Next System Project)

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Solve at Standing Rock - Fort Yates, North Dakota - August 12 & 13
Dissident Arts Festival - Cabaret of Dissent - Brooklyn - September 8

TODAY IN HISTORY:

65TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ASSAULT ON THE MONCADA BARRACKS, WHICH BEGAN
THE CUBAN REVOLUTION

RE: NEW YOUNG VOTERS MAY DECIDE FLORIDA IN 2018

Time for a competition. Let's see voter registration go up in all
states

Dave Bell
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Voices of the future. Voices of reason. They can change the world.

Gwen Andrews
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

CHERISH THE MEMORY

If you have forgotten what it is like to hear a US president speak in
complete sentences for longer than allowed by a Tweet about important
political, philosophical and moral issues, without insulting anyone,
set aside some time to listen to Barack Obama speaking to an audience
of thousands at a celebration of the life of Nelson Mandela in South
Africa. Even if you disagreed with Barack Obama about fundamental
political issues, you can understand what a threat to our
constitutional democracy the present occupant of the White House
presents and long for restoration of a presidency like Obama's. I know
I do! Take the time to listen to the whole thing.

Michael Eisenscher

16TH NELSON MANDELA ANNUAL LECTURE - FORMER PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA

 [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9lMLkQxm10&feature=youtu.be]

Former President Barack Obama delivers his first major speech
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9lMLkQxm10&feature=youtu.be] since
leaving office, addressing inequality and other issues at the 16th
Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Listen here
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9lMLkQxm10&feature=youtu.be].

RE: THE 90 MILLION GALLON NUCLEAR TRAGEDY THAT NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT

"small Native American farming community". That says it all to me.

Gigi Morales
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

THAT WASNT AN ADCIDENT

Pedro A Figueroa
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

A few short miles from where I live. People lost their livelihoods,
their land, and their health in an instant. Not cleaned up.

Lorelei Kay
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

This article says almost nobody knows of the huge spill of nuclear
waste (mostly contaminated water) in New Mexico. My brother-in-law,
Nacho Salazar, knows. Nacho was an up-and-coming young operator in the
drilling business. He was being groomed by the big guys, e.g., the
power company, to be "their" Mexican, to be put out front to defuse
environmental difficulties. As Nacho tells it, when the spill
occurred, about 80 miles west of Albuquerque, the big guys had a
meeting to decide what to about it. Nacho, who at that point seems to
have fallen for their propaganda, suggested to the assembled big dogs
that, since it can't hurt us, let's go out there with earth moving
equipment and clean it up ourselves, this'll show people that it's
harmless. The lack of enthusiasm in the room was massive--all those
big dogs had some excuse to not participate. Nacho, by then not
"their" Mexican, left the drilling business and started working with
Zapatistas, environmentalists, and various other leftist endeavors. I
guess this confirms Trump's opinion that he doesn't want Mexicans
around.

A relative of mine says environmentalists are liars. Really. A few
days ago I sent an email to several people, telling some of this tale.
I said I had , at a party in the area in sight of one of the places
where we could see the aftermath of an attempt to neutralize uranium
mining waste, a discussion with a resident there. I asked what people
around there thought about it. Her answer started "Well, my cancer . .
. ."

Reber Boult
Albuquerque, NM

      =====

Perhaps you’ll also remember the practical use of yellowcake
processing waste sand that was used in concrete to construct
foundations for houses, schools etc. in Grand Junction, CO, in the
1960s, all of which was subsequently torn up when they realized what
the source was ... right down the road from Gunnison, where there is
still a pile of yellowcake processing waste southeast of the town,
covered by a layer of clay

Caroline Specht
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

 [https://www.nytimes.com/1971/10/31/archives/-dear-sir-your-house-is-built-on-radioactive-uranium-waste.html]

      =====

TransCanada Pipeline Explodes in West Virginia

A newly installed TransCanada
[https://www.ecowatch.com/tag/transcanada] natural gas pipeline
[https://www.ecowatch.com/tag/pipelines] exploded early Thursday in
the remote Nixon Ridge area of Marshall County in West Virginia.

No injuries were reported but flames and smoke from the blast could be
seen as far as 20 miles away
[https://twitter.com/TDiTirroWTRF/status/1004707717498441733],
residents told local media. Area police told CBS News
[https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gas-pipeline-explosion-rocks-moundsville-area-northern-west-virginia-sends-flames-high-in-air/] the
fire was "very large—if you can see it from your house, evacuate."

Read full story here
[https://www.ecowatch.com/transcanada-pipeline-explodes-west-virginia-2576042392.html].

Fred Niles

FROM BERLIN TO THE AMERICAN SOUTHWEST - THE INTERNATIONAL URANIUM FILM
FESTIVAL - ARIZONA AND NEW MEXICO (WINDOW ROCK; FLAGSTAFF;
ALBUQUERQUE; AND SANTA FE) - NOVEMBER 29 - DECEMBER 9

Film festival about uranium risk: The International Uranium Film will
travel this year to the Southwestern United States from November 29th
through December 9th 2018.

From Berlin To The American Southwest - The International Uranium Film
Festival
[http://uraniumfilmfestival.org/en/from-berlin-to-the-american-southwest]

Norbert Suchanek
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: ECUADOR WILL IMMINENTLY WITHDRAW ASYLUM FOR JULIAN ASSANGE AND
HAND HIM OVER TO THE U.K. WHAT COMES NEXT?

Lillian Hellman on the HUAC/McCarthy era:

“We, as a people, agreed in the Fifties to swallow any nonsense that
was repeated often enough, without examination of its meaning or
investigation into its roots.” (Substitute any decade here.)

“Truth made you a traitor as it often does in a time of scoundrels."

Jenny Kastner
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

     =====

A despicable injustice in the making ...

James E. Vann

RE: REBUILDING THE WORKING CLASS

(part of Dispatches From the Culture Wars
[https://portside.org/2018-07-17/dispatches-cuture-wars-july-17-2018]
- July 17, 2018)

I think, feel, that Karen Nussbaum
[https://business.facebook.com/karen.nussbaum.98?fref=mentions] is on
the right track here. Her intuitions and mine mesh well (which is not
surprising, perhaps, since I have admired and supported her work for
decades). My experiences canvassing in areas like those she describes
here are not so uniformly encouraging but I think her approach is one
that can move us on to sorely needed victory. Thanks to Portside
[https://portside.org/2018-07-17/dispatches-cuture-wars-july-17-2018]
for the link.

Daniel Millstone
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: DETAINING IMMIGRANT KIDS IS NOW A BILLION-DOLLAR INDUSTRY

This is becoming perhaps a permanent business like the incarceration
system. Since jails were privatized, inmates have multiplied.
Sometimes a person is arrested and he/she is lost in the system and
they aren't brought before a judge until long months later. At times
the stay in jail surpasses the meritted jailtime, if any. At times the
offense should be NO JAILTIME AT ALL.

Lucy Rosado
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: IMMIGRANT MOTHERS ARE STAGING HUNGER STRIKES TO DEMAND CALLS WITH
THEIR SEPARATED CHILDREN

Atrocities against humanity is what it is. The new America.

Carole Thomas Dubniczky
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Sad but they dragged their children through danger and little to no
food to enter illegally. They can apply for asylum at many places in
Mexico and stay with their kids. This is on them. They are certainly
given food as good as inmates and I bet they have ac. Inmates don’t

Jack Brown
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Jack Brown you are wrong. You can only apply for political asylum once
you are physically on the soil of the United States. So, all the
people that everyone says are "illegal" are in fact just following the
law of the land - the laws of our country.

Jay Schaffner
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: DID YOU FEEL BETRAYED BY TRUMP'S PRESS CONFERENCE WITH PUTIN?
THAT'S A TASTE OF HOW BLACK PEOPLE FEEL EVERY DAY.

No. I live in Puerto Rico. Trump, the U.S. government and the
Republican party left us for dead and are now in the process of making
us disappear. The U.S. wants our beautiful islands not the people.

Mary Anne Merrill-Ramirez
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Trump just tweeted that "your favorite president did nothing wrong".
Boy, was he right! President OBAMA didn't! Trump, on the other hand,
directly colluded with Vladimir Putin during the campaign and also
continues to do so now - both of which are treasonous acts. THANK YOU
PRESIDENT OBAMA!

Rich Crawford
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: THE KAVANAUGH NOMINATION AND LABOR

Lawmakers must reject this conservative racist nominee Brett Kavanaugh
from the supreme Court to save the Voting Rights Act from him.

Randall Lewis
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

What other views can you expect from someone who says “the POTUS is
above constitutional law” (above prosecution) and should be treated
as a “God ordained” ruler. He is the guy on the SCOTUS who will
likely say the POTUS “does not” have to obey the Constitution (can
set it aside) in a national emergency. Yes, unless stopped, some
whites want to toss the whole concept of democracy aside (look at the
facts).....

Robbie Wayne Bush
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

FACTS DO MATTER

RE: WE KNOW PROTESTS WORK. SO WHY AREN’T WE PROTESTING?

The correct quote, at the end of this article, was, as I remember it
was not

"My feet are tired, but my soul is rested."

but rather:

"My feets is tired, but my soul is at rest."

Makes a bit more sense, grammatically or not!

Leonard J. Lehrman

      =====

The last 30 years of squeezing the American middle class has made it
much more difficult for Millions to find the economic Breathing Room
needed to take the time for protest

Shortbus Ed
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

because the people has been forced to see protests as something only
hippies do. We have been forced to see protests as something that
happens but has no real bearing on the outcome of political decisions.
as a result, people choose not to protest, even though they agree with
the cause, because they believe it will have no consequence.

Jay Reagan
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

I think part of it's that the population is much older now. In the
60's, and 70's, the majority of people were younger The issues
directly affected them. In this period, Social Security and Medicare
are top priority.

I always protested and marched, when I was young. However, age has
slowed me down, so I protest via social media.

Sammy Russo
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: ISRAEL ADOPTS CONTROVERSIAL JEWISH 'NATION STATE' LAW

So your only orthodox belief matters!

Howie Leveton
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

This is why my husband never went back. He had a Jewish father and a
Catholic mother. He was not considered a Jewish child, so he didn't
have access to a free education after a certain time. His parents
brought him here.  His parents had fled for their lives across the
European continent, spent 2 years in a Russian refugee camp and
settled in Israel.

This is despicable.

Lisa Bilander-Gray
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

It is biblically horrible.  It is plague-worthy.  It's time for some
righteous political smiting.

Nick Unger
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

Horrible and so wrong! How quickly Jews have forgotten the
discrimination and worse perpetrated against them!!!

Dorothy Dobbyn
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

      =====

The change in the law was imposed by the radical Zionists legislative
majority, not by all Israelis or all Jews.

Jim Crotty
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

RE: AMERICAN ARITHMETIC - PORTSIDE CULTURE POSTINGS

(posting on Portside Culture
[https://portside.org/2018-07-20/american-arithmetic])

I really appreciate the poetry and Culture postings that often make my
day live-able providing slower moments with politics!

Leanna Noble
Posted on Portside's Facebook page
[https://www.facebook.com/Portside.PortsideLabor]

THE UNEQUAL STATES OF AMERICA

Income inequality is on the rise.

Even as incomes of the bottom 99 percent improve with a strengthening
economy, the gap between the top 1 percent and everyone else continues
to grow.

EPI is out with a new report, “The new gilded age
[https://www.epi.org/publication/the-new-gilded-age-income-inequality-in-the-u-s-by-state-metropolitan-area-and-county/],”
which shows that income inequality is not just a problem in big cities
and coastal states. The report breaks down what it takes to be in the
top 1 percent in every state, county and metropolitan area—and shows
that income inequality is a problem throughout the country.

 [https://epi.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec2361f981a14ee1d45cccaa9&id=fc41ae75b3&e=6a0dbadc76]
Click here to share this map on Facebook
[https://www.facebook.com/EconomicPolicy/photos/a.10151281228111668.483825.100882346667/10156449355031668/?type=1&theater],
which shows the level of inequality in each state.

From 2009–2015, the incomes of the top 1 percent grew faster than
the incomes of the bottom 99 percent in 43 states and the District of
Columbia. And in nine states the top 1 percent captured at least half
of all income growth.

Nationally, in 2015, families in the top 1 percent made 26 times as
much as the bottom 99 percent.

Click here to view the state-by-state interactive feature and see how
the average income of the bottom 99 percent in your state compares
with the average top 1 percent income. These data are also broken down
by county and metropolitan area.
[https://www.epi.org/multimedia/unequal-states-of-america/]

Since the 1970s, income inequality has risen in every state. But this
trend can be reversed if we begin making different policy choices,
such as raising the minimum wage, strengthening collective bargaining,
and providing paid sick leave.

Together we can rebuild the middle class and create an economy that
works for everyone, not just the wealthy few.

Thank you,

Dan Crawford
Media Relations Director, Economic Policy Institute

Economic Policy Institute [https://www.epi.org]
1225 Eye St. NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: 202-775-8810 -- [log in to unmask]

THE CRISIS NEXT TIME: PLANNING FOR PUBLIC OWNERSHIP AS AN ALTERNATIVE
TO CORPORATE BANK BAILOUTS

THE NEXT FINANCIAL CRISIS IS ALL BUT INEVITABLE. While its exact
timing and severity cannot be predicted, both the accelerating
frequency of crises in recent decades and the continued consolidation
of the banking sector in an increasingly financialized economy suggest
that we should be prepared for a crisis sooner rather than later.

In the Great Financial Crisis of 2007-2008, the US federal
government intervened at an unprecedented scale to bailout our largest
commercial banks after they became entangled in the mess of risky
financial products built on top of an unsustainable housing bubble.
The effect of these massive bailouts was, in the end, to preserve the
status quo: the modest attempts made to regulate the financial sector
to protect consumers and avert further devastating financial crises
have largely been rolled back, and the banks that were then “too big
to fail” are today even bigger.

VIEWED IN HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE, THE ABILITY OF THE FINANCIAL SECTOR
TO USE
ITS CONCENTRATED WEALTH TO ESCAPE OR SUBVERT REGULATIONS BY INFLUENCINGTHE
POLITICAL PROCESS SHOULD COME AS NO SURPRISE; indeed, the sector’s
long-term success in lobbying for “deregulation” created the
conditions of the 2007-2008 crisis by gutting the safeguards put in
place after the crash of 1929 and the subsequent Great Depression.
Similarly, as the disappointing recent track record of anti-monopoly
enforcement has shown, attempts to dismantle powerfully consolidated
industries are incredibly difficult and at best a temporary fix, with
eventual reconsolidation likely to follow any successful attempts to
“break them up.”

During the next crisis, a robust policy response can and should
convert failed banks to permanent public ownership, rather than merely
using public money to make corporate America whole again.

This working paper presents another way forward, grounded in long-term
public ownership of financial institutions. While de-facto temporary
nationalization was a key tool in the federal government’s bailout
toolbox, at no point during the response to the Great Financial Crisis
was the idea that the government should use public ownership for the
long-term stability of the financial system and the public good
seriously entertained by policymakers. Given the robust success of
publicly owned banks both around the world and in the US itself,
this was an incredibly misguided decision, one that testifies to the
power the big banks have not only over our economy, but over our own
imaginations.

DURING THE NEXT CRISIS, A ROBUST POLICY RESPONSE CAN AND SHOULD
CONVERT FAILED BANKS TO PERMANENT PUBLIC OWNERSHIP, rather than merely
using public money to make corporate America whole again, setting up
the dominoes for yet another destructive crisis down the road. This
working paper sketches the basic contours of legislation that would
establish the legal pathways for such conversions, and explains how
the resulting public financial system could be structured to meet the
financial needs of ordinary Americans and their communities while
incorporating innovative processes of decentralization and democratic
participation.

As the clock ticks towards the next crisis, it is imperative to begin
the conversation NOW about what is possible besides another round of
Wall Street bailouts. Public ownership, for the long-term, is a
credible path forward, and should by no means be left out of the
conversation this time.

Read full report here
[https://thenextsystem.org/learn/stories/crisis-next-time-planning-public-ownership-alternative-corporate-bank-bailouts?mc_cid=d2ccdae5e5&mc_eid=12da9a7821].

The Next System Project [https://thenextsystem.org] is an initiative
of The Democracy Collaborative [http://democracycollaborative.org/]
aimed at bold thinking and action to address the systemic challenges
the United States faces now and in coming decades. Deep crises of
economic inequality, racial injustice and climate change—to name but
three—are upon us, and systemic problems require systemic solutions.
Working with a broad group of researchers, theorists and activists, we
are using the best research, understanding and strategic thinking, on
the one hand, and on-the-ground organizing and development experience,
on the other, to promote visions, models and pathways that point to a
“next system” radically different in fundamental ways from the
failed systems of the past and present and capable of delivering
superior social, economic and ecological outcomes.

SOLVE AT STANDING ROCK - FORT YATES, NORTH DAKOTA - AUGUST 12 & 13

Solve at Standing Rock
[https://solve.mit.edu/events/solve-summit-in-standing-rock] is a
two-day gathering to celebrate and uplift the innovative
sustainability work currently being done in Indian Country. This event
will highlight the 2018 Oceti Sakowin | Solve Fellows and their
projects, which bring renewable energy and food accessibility to the
community and contribute to economic prosperity and sovereignty.

Join MIT Solve, Oceti Sakowin members, corporations, foundations,
NGOs, government officials, and academics on the Standing Rock
Reservation in North Dakota. Over these two days, we will focus on how
native lands hold huge potential for indigenous people to lead the
environmental movement, from solar panel installations to sustainable
community housing and from renewable energy building audits to
agriculture technique courses.

This event is free and open to all members of Oceti Sakowin. To learn
more, get in touch with Solve at [log in to unmask]

DISSIDENT ARTS FESTIVAL - CABARET OF DISSENT - BROOKLYN - SEPTEMBER 8

Will you help us spread the word about an exciting event in Brooklyn
on September 8th, that will benefit the Rosenberg Fund for Children?

Cabaret of Dissent at 17 Frost will be an underground review of
protest song, revolutionary music and radical poetry celebrating the
fight for social justice and the lives of political prisoners. (See
https://www.rfc.org/cabaretofdissent
[https://www.rfc.org/cabaretofdissent] for more details.)

And be sure to mark your calendar and plan to join me and the generous
activist artists of Cabaret of Dissent on September 8th, for what's
sure to be an uplifting evening in support of the children of
resistance.

We're looking for assistance promoting the event at cafes, bookstores,
cultural events, or anywhere else that left-leaning art lovers gather.
If you'd be willing to put out palm cards in your area, please email
[log in to unmask] and we'll send some to you

Jennifer Meeropol

JULY 26 MARKS THE 65TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ASSAULT ON THE MONCADA
BARRACKS, WHICH BEGAN THE CUBAN REVOLUTION

BAYAMO, Granma.– Yesterday Cubans of several generations began
celebrations of the 65th anniversary of the assaults on the Moncada
and Carlos Manuel de Céspedes Garrisons here, honoring martyrs and
heroes of the simultaneous revolutionary actions of July 26, 1953.

Thousands of people attended the event here in Ñico López Park,
where Federico Hernández, first secretary of the Party in the
province, recalled the pivotal event as “a declaration of war
against an oppressive regime the dictator Batista” intended to
“change the course of an enslaved society to a nation in which all
are equal, a perfectible society with capacity to improve itself
legitimately only in the hands of its people,” while emphasizing the
importance of the constitutional reform process underway and the
upcoming popular discussion.

Read more here
[http://en.granma.cu/cuba/2018-07-25/sixty-five-years-since-the-assault-on-the-future].