Print

 		 [Trump Boots Reporter; Tronc Stomps; Sinclair Slime; Facebooks
Wrist Slap; Con Game; Too Late for Lopate?; Watching the Watchers]
[https://portside.org/]

 MEDIA BITS AND BYTES - JULY 24, 2018
[https://portside.org/2018-07-24/media-bits-and-bytes-july-24-2018]

 July 24, 2018
Portside

[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-07-24/media-bits-and-bytes-july-24-2018]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2018-07-24/media-bits-and-bytes-july-24-2018]
	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?text=Media%20Bits%20and%20Bytes%20-%20July%2024%2C%202018&url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-07-24/media-bits-and-bytes-july-24-2018]

 _ Trump Boots Reporter; Tronc Stomps; Sinclair Slime; Facebook's
Wrist Slap; Con Game; Too Late for Lopate?; Watching the Watchers _

 Security personnel remove a reporter, Sam Husseini, ahead of a joint
conference of President Donald Trump and President Vladimir Putin in
Helsinki, July 16, 2018. , (Reuters / Grigory Dukor)

I CAME AS A JOURNALIST TO ASK IMPORTANT QUESTIONS - SAM HUSSEINI (THE
NATION)

HOW IS THIS SHIT LEGAL
[https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-is-this-shit-legal-1827813308]
- ALBERT BURNEKO (DEADSPIN)

HERE'S WHY THE SINCLAIR DEAL MAY BE TOO SLIMY FOR AJIT PAI'S FCC -
RHETT JONES (GIZMODO)

FINING FACEBOOK ISN’T ENOUGH – WE NEED TOTAL MEDIA REFORM -
MATHEW LAWRENCE AND LAURIE LAYBOURN-LANGTON (RED PEPPER)

THE NEW GATEKEEPERS OF SILICON VALLEY ARE GETTING PLAYED BY
CONSERVATIVES - MAX READ (NEW YORK)

AFTER WNYC, LEONARD LOPATE’S RETURN TO WBAI IS MET WITH PROTEST -
KAREN K. HO AND ALEXANDRIA NEASON (COLUMBIA JOURNALISM REVIEW)

CALIFORNIA CAN PIONEER LOCAL COMMUNITY OVERSIGHT OF POLICE
SURVEILLANCE - SHAHID BUTTAR (ELECTRONIC FRONTIER FOUNDATION)

I Came As a Journalist to Ask Important Questions
[https://www.thenation.com/article/came-journalist-ask-important-questions/]

By Sam Husseini

July 17, 2018

The Nation

https://www.thenation.com/article/came-journalist-ask-important-questio…
[https://www.thenation.com/article/came-journalist-ask-important-questions/]

If I hadn’t been forcibly ejected from the Trump-Putin press
conference, here’s what I would have asked.

How Is This Shit Legal
[https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-is-this-shit-legal-1827813308]

By Albert Burneko

July 23, 2018

Deadspin

Today, Tronc gutted the New York Daily News
[https://deadspin.com/the-new-york-daily-news-sports-staff-has-been-gutted-1827804989],
laying off at least half of its editorial staff to cut costs.

Here's Why the Sinclair Deal May Be Too Slimy for Ajit Pai's FCC
[https://gizmodo.com/heres-why-the-sinclair-deal-may-be-too-slimy-for-ajit-p-1827731077]

By Rhett Jones

July 19, 2018

Gizmodo

Sinclair tried to skirt regulation with a loophole
[https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/06/trump-fcc-sinclair-broadcast-expansion-241337]
and have stations available in 72 percent of American households.

Fining Facebook Isn’t Enough – We Need Total Media Reform
[https://www.redpepper.org.uk/fining-facebook-isnt-enough-we-need-total-media-reform/]

By Mathew Lawrence and Laurie Laybourn-Langton

July 12, 2018

Red Pepper

We can either realize a world where technology serves the many, or
settle for one in which data oligarchs rule unchecked.

The New Gatekeepers of Silicon Valley Are Getting Played by
Conservatives
[http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/06/are-twitter-and-facebook-really-biased.html]

By Max Read

June 27, 2018

New York

Despite talk about the purportedly liberal beliefs of Silicon Valley,
its outcomes are manifestly conservative

After WNYC, Leonard Lopate’s Return to WBAI Is Met With Protest
[https://www.cjr.org/analysis/wnyc-leonard-lopate.php]

By Karen K. Ho and Alexandria Neason

July 17, 2018

Columbia Journalism Review

Lopate is just one of the many men accused as part of the #MeToo
movement who are now beginning to appeal to the media community and
the public for a second chance.

California Can Pioneer Local Community Oversight of Police
Surveillance
[https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/07/california-can-pioneer-local-community-oversight-police-surveillance]

By Shahid Buttar

July 20, 2018

Electronic Frontier Foundation

Executive secrecy can extend from Washington all the way down to the
local level.