[The Starz adaptation of Stephanie Danler’s novel immerses us in
the sexual, racial and personal politics of the kitchen.]
[https://portside.org/]

 PORTSIDE CULTURE

 HOW ‘SWEETBITTER’ CAPTURES THE GRIT AND GLAMOUR OF THE RESTAURANT
WORLD
[https://portside.org/2018-05-27/how-sweetbitter-captures-grit-and-glamour-restaurant-world]

 Claire Fallon
 May 8, 2018
Huffington Post
[https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sweetbitter-restaurant-politics_us_5aede852e4b041fd2d273cb7]

[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-05-27/how-sweetbitter-captures-grit-and-glamour-restaurant-world]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2018-05-27/how-sweetbitter-captures-grit-and-glamour-restaurant-world]
	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-05-27/how-sweetbitter-captures-grit-and-glamour-restaurant-world&text=How%20%E2%80%98Sweetbitter%E2%80%99%20Captures%20The%20Grit%20And%20Glamour%20Of%20The%20Restaurant%20World]

 _ The Starz adaptation of Stephanie Danler’s novel immerses us in
the sexual, racial and personal politics of the kitchen. _

 Ella Purnell stars as Tess in “Sweetbitter.”, STARZ

The clatter of dishes, the murmur of diners, the sizzle of meat in the
pan ― “Sweetbitter,” the new Starz adaptation of Stephanie
Danler’s novel of the same name, is like a sensory bath immersing
the viewer in a restaurant’s humming kitchen. It almost feels like
you’re lurking by the kitchen doors in a real Manhattan eatery.

That’s because, in many ways, you are. To capture the hectic
atmosphere of a restaurant kitchen and the muted glamour of the dining
room, the show’s creators decided not to cut any corners: They built
a working restaurant as the set ― kitchen, dining room and all.

“People were cooking food in that kitchen, and we were carrying it
hot in our hands to ― sometimes, when it’s a one-shot ― to
diners sitting in the room,” Tom Sturridge, who plays a bartender on
the show, told HuffPost. “We couldn’t fake it.”

The show premiered on Sunday, kicking off a six-episode season that
feels tantalizingly brief, more like an amuse-bouche than an entrée.
Like the book, it follows a young woman, Tess (Ella Purnell), who
moves to New York City with little money and no particular plan and
gets a job at an upscale restaurant in Manhattan. She develops a
fascination with a hot, brooding bartender named Jake (Sturridge) and
with an elegant sommelier, Simone (Caitlin FitzGerald), who teaches
her about fine wine and food.

The book is deeply informed by Danler’s time working at the Union
Square Café in her 20s, and she brought that same granular knowledge
of restaurant work to the making of the show. Every detail had to be
right. “Steph was very particular” about everything from wine
pairings to place settings, said Evan Jonigkeit, who plays a back
waiter named Will.

Before filming even began, the cast participated in a two-week-long
boot camp, where they learned foundational skills like the three-plate
carry (a challenging move Tess struggles with during one episode) and
the one-handed ferrying of trays filled with glasses. Danler hired
the woman
[https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/05/sweetbitter-stephanie-danler] who
trained her at Union Square Café to instruct the show’s cast.

Some of the cast had the advantage of already having worked in
restaurants, like Jonigkeit. “He was a showoff,” laughed Purnell,
who admitted to having trouble with the three-plate carry. “He liked
to flourish those plates.”

[Jasmine Mathews as Heather and Eden Epstein as Ariel work at the
restaurant.]

STARZ
Jasmine Mathews as Heather and Eden Epstein as Ariel work at the
restaurant.

With its heady combination of sex, drugs and fine dining, the book was
destined to be adapted to the screen. The realism of the show’s
portrayal of the restaurant world goes well beyond the culinary
details, to thorny issues like how sex, race and class manifest in the
kitchen. The result is both seductively aspirational and shockingly
gritty.

“I wanted people to be intoxicated but scared the way that you are
when you’re experimenting with a substance for the first time,”
Danler said of the adaptation.

Some aspects may feel even more vivid in an era of increased
consciousness around sexual harassment and sex in the workplace.
During the first season, Tess, a trainee back waiter in her
probationary period, hooks up with more than one of the waitstaff; she
also learns that Howard, the manager, has been sleeping with one of
his employees. The sketchy and eyebrow-raising moments bubble up but
aren’t dwelled upon in the show: There are no after-school specials.

“The show feels deeply feminist to me,” FitzGerald said, citing
its authentic depiction of an imperfect, “complicated”
professional world. Like the book, the show depicts “every single
kind of sexual politics in the workplace, from consensual flirtation
to drunken regrettable sex to microaggressions of misogyny to outright
abuse of power,” Danler told HuffPost. “We just are writing about
a restaurant that proves why [the Me Too] movement needed to happen to
begin with.”

The sensual delights of the show aren’t just sexual, of course ―
they’re gustatory. Perhaps just as important as the nitty-gritty
details, Danler brought her genuine passion for food and wine to the
production, becoming a sort of guru gourmand to her cast.

“[Danler] to me is like Simone to Tess,” Purnell told HuffPost.
“I’m quite obsessed with Steph.”

[Caitlin FitzGerald as Simone teaches Tess the finer side of
restaurant work.]

STARZ
Caitlin FitzGerald as Simone teaches Tess the finer side of
restaurant work.

Simone, an elegant sommelier and server, acts as the wide-eyed new
girl’s mentor. She offers her little lessons on appreciating fine
food and drink, like how to roll a pricey Riesling around her tongue,
tasting the sweet and sour notes. “Now your tongue is coded,” she
tells Tess in one episode, after explaining where the taste buds for
sweet, sour, salty, and bitter notes are located.

Danler “has taught all of us about wine,” said Eden Epstein, who
plays a waitress named Ariel. “We go out to dinner with her, and
it’s sumptuous and delicious.”

FitzGerald also remembers going wine-tasting with Danler. Not that
she’s acquired a mastery on par with that of her character, who
during the first episode identifies a wine down to its vintage year
after tasting just a sip. “I would say my palate is still thankfully
unrefined to a degree,” she joked. (Having a taste for the finer
things, after all, can be expensive.)

For the actors who had worked in restaurants before, the comprehensive
verisimilitude of the show created a woozy sense of familiarity.
Epstein started on “Sweetbitter” shortly after leaving a job at
Café Orlin in New York’s East Village ― and was bemused to find
that, as part of her costume, she’d be wearing a fresh new pair of
the same Dansko clogs she worn for years as a waitress.

FitzGerald, on the other hand, recalled leaving boot camp one day
feeling inexplicably anxious. “I realized it was because I was
having all these sense memories to when I was waiting tables,” she
said. “So it felt entirely authentic to me.”

[Tom Sturridge as Jake shares a brief encounter with Tess.]

STARZ
Tom Sturridge as Jake shares a brief encounter with Tess.

For some, the authenticity brought up particularly hurtful memories.
Jasmine Mathews, who plays Heather, the sole black server, told
HuffPost that her role on “Sweetbitter” mirrored her own
experience as the only black server in restaurants during three years
of waiting tables. “The racism I experienced was profound,” she
said. As a result, she said, she “didn’t have to dig” to relate
to her character’s situation.

Daniyar, who plays a back waiter named Sasha, struggled to find work
waiting tables when he first moved to the United States due to his
lack of fluency in English. His character, also a Russian immigrant,
faces a similarly uphill battle to become a server at the restaurant,
despite being a skilled waiter. “It’s so painful to look back [at]
those days when you felt uncomfortable, when people were mean to
you,” he said, recalling the time he spent taking orders at a
pizzeria.

“I’m a gay Russian man, completely different than Tess,” he
said. But when he read _Sweetbitter_, he thought, “I experienced
exactly the same.”

And of course, Tess is the one viewers are encouraged to relate to ―
the book is drawn from Danler’s own experience as a naive young
(white) woman. In its honesty, “Sweetbitter” escapes the trap of
lingering over and romanticizing the winsome heroine’s every
misfortune. Whenever Tess herself falls into self-righteousness or
self-pity, she’s sharply pulled up by the reality around her:
Everyone she works with has their own sorrows and struggles and, yes,
joys.

In one scene, she helps an undocumented kitchen worker, Santos, cash
his paycheck ― unwittingly pissing off another employee, who had
been serving as the bank go-between and skimming some off the top for
a while. Her co-workers’ lives didn’t begin when she arrived.
She’s just the newest entrant into a buzzing social and professional
ecosystem.

So why not focus more directly on characters like Sasha, Heather and
Santos? If given the chance, said Danler and showrunner Stuart
Zicherman, they will. “We just were just scratching the surface of
it,” said Zicherman of the show’s glancing explorations of
immigration, race and identity. “We just wanted to tickle it because
we really do want to tell these stories.”

In another season, he said, they might do an episode that follows
Sasha home and explores his personal life, or an episode devoted to
Santos, a character we’ve barely met thus far.

“The whole first season is from Tess’ perspective,” said
Purnell. “If there were to be another one, we would see it the other
way. Follow hundreds of different storylines. The tree will grow, with
branches.”

In Season 1, “Sweetbitter” has introduced us to a world of
glittering exteriors, but only begun to hint at the complexity of a
fine restaurant’s inner machinery. It will take digging deep into
the perspectives of all those varied characters to break through.

[headshot] [https://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/claire-fallon]

Claire Fallon [https://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/claire-fallon]

Books & Culture Writer, HuffPost