The Road to Hell in the Middle East - Gearing Up for the Third Gulf War

Portside Snapshot - May 18, 2018

The Road to Hell in the Middle East - Gearing Up for the Third Gulf War

Michael T. Klare

Tom Dispatch
The way to war, which will surely prove to be the road to hell, seems open with a Third Gulf War looming on humanity’s horizon. Once again, Iran is the enemy. Again, as in 2003, a president is surrounded by bellicose advisers intent on just such a war and looking for the right excuse to launch it.

Working Families Party at a Crossroads

Michael Kinnucan

The Indypendent
New York’s sort-of-third party has won some big victories in the past two decades but its future is uncertain after defying Andrew Cuomo and his labor allies to endorse Cynthia Nixon. This Saturday - May 19 - the Working Families State Convention is in Harlem.

The Former Community Organizer and Activist Who Became a Historian - Maurice Jackson

Erik Moshe

History News Network
I had been a community organizer all my life; I was one of the top leaders of the Communist Party of the United States, joining as a teenager, staying some years...at a certain point in my life, I knew it was time to leave. I was a supporter of perestroika and glasnost and the party rejected it...

Tidbits - May 17, 2018 - Reader Comments: Nakba-Jerusalem Embassy-Palestinian Reality; Public Worker Unions, Union Membership and Janus; Radical literature; food; Avengers; Tidbits Returns; Brown v. Board of Education; Resources and more...

Portside
Reader Comments: Jerusalem Embassy - Palestinian Reality; Public Worker Unions, Union Membership and Janus; Portside Culture stirs responses: Radical mysteries; food; Avengers; Tidbits Returns after six-week hiatus; Today in History: Brown v. Board of Education; Resources and more...

Cursing Cortes

Álvaro Enrigue

The New York Review of Books
The simple story of Cortés's evisceration of the the Aztecs is not so simple. In letters to Spain's King Carlos I, justifying morally Mexico’s occupation, Cortés distorted what was in fact a messy and confusing war involving several armies from already competing European nations. His lies linger.

Interpret the world and change it

Unsubscribe from Portside Snapshot