Gina Haspel, Trump’s Pick for CIA Director, Ran a Black Site for Torture

Portside Snapshot - March 14, 2018

In Winston Churchill, Hollywood Rewards a Mass Murderer

Shashi Tharoor

Washington Post
“History,” Winston Churchill said, “will be kind to me, for I intend to write it myself.” He needn’t have bothered. He was one of the great mass murderers of the 20th century, yet is the only one, unlike Hitler and Stalin, to have escaped historical odium in the West.

Millennials, White-Collar Workers Bringing New Life to Unions

Katie Johnston

Boston Globe
Workers across many industries are increasingly banding together and standing up against management as part-time and contract work grows, automation amps up, and wages barely budge, labor observers say. Silicon Valley tech workers have started a coalition to unite.

“The Death of Stalin” Captures the Terrifying Absurdity of a Tyrant

Masha Gessen

The New Yorker
In January Russia banned “The Death of Stalin". This may have been the first time in post-Soviet history a movie that had already been granted permission to screen was pulled from theatres by order of the government. What made the film so dangerous?

Interpret the world and change it

To unsubscribe from the PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT list, click the following link:
Unsubscribe from Portside Snapshot