Print

 [https://portside.org/]
Material of Interest to People on the Left

 CONCERNED CITIZENS IN CANCER ALLEY VOW TO RAMP UP BATTLE AGAINST
INDUSTRIAL POLLUTION IN 2018
[https://portside.org/2018-01-29/concerned-citizens-cancer-alley-vow-ramp-battle-against-industrial-pollution-2018]

 Julie Dermansky
 January 4, 2018
DeSmogBlog
[https://www.desmogblog.com/2018/01/04/concerned-citizens-st-john-louisiana-cancer-alley-pollution-fight]

[https://plus.google.com/share?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-01-29/concerned-citizens-cancer-alley-vow-ramp-battle-against-industrial-pollution-2018]
	*
[https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//portside.org/2018-01-29/concerned-citizens-cancer-alley-vow-ramp-battle-against-industrial-pollution-2018]
	*
[https://twitter.com/intent/tweet/?url=https%3A//portside.org/2018-01-29/concerned-citizens-cancer-alley-vow-ramp-battle-against-industrial-pollution-2018&text=Concerned%20Citizens%20in%20Cancer%20Alley%20Vow%20to%20Ramp%20Up%20Battle%20Against%20Industrial%20Pollution%20in%202018%20]

 _ This past year in Louisiana’s St. John the Baptist Parish, a
small group of residents began organizing their community to compel
the state to protect them against an invisible menace: the air they
breathe. Their parish, the Louisiana equivalent of a county, is
situated in what’s known as Cancer Alley, an industrial corridor
between Baton Rouge and New Orleans that hosts more than 100
petrochemical factories. _

 Julie Dermansky, Robert Taylor next to one of the EPA air monitoring
sites in LaPlace, Louisiana.

At the helm of the battle
[https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/04/19/st-john-baptist-parish-fight-clean-air-louisiana-cancer-alley-denka-chloroprene]
is the Concerned Citizens of St. John, a diverse group of parish
residents pushing back against the area’s historically bad — and
worsening — industrial pollution. “One thing we all have
in common is a desire for clean air,” the group’s founder, Robert
Taylor, told me. Next year, the burgeoning group plans to get
political and broaden its reach by banding together with similar
groups in the region.

Taylor, a 76-year-old retired general contractor, recently spoke to me
about the group from California, where he spent Christmas with his
wife, who is recuperating from a stroke. Their extended family
insisted Taylor keep his wife away from the Louisiana parish’s
polluted air.

Coming Together for Cleaner Air

Taylor formed the Concerned Citizens of St. John after he and others
learned that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) determined
residents in their area were at higher risk of cancer than anywhere
else in the country. The EPA's latest National Air Toxics Assessment
[https://www.epa.gov/national-air-toxics-assessment/2011-national-air-toxics-assessment],
which evaluates air contaminants and estimates health risks, revealed
that residents in six parish census tracts closest to the Denka
Performance Elastomer factory in LaPlace have a lifetime risk of
cancer from air pollution 800 times higher than
the national average.

Denka’s LaPlace factory, formerly owned by DuPont, emits chloroprene
and 28 other chemicals used to make the synthetic rubber commonly
known as Neoprene. In 2010 the EPA reclassified chloroprene as a
likely human carcinogen, but this fact only came to the community’s
attention at the end of 2016.

The Concerned Citizens of St. John group holds bi-weekly public
meetings at the Tchoupitoulas Chapel in the town of Reserve. At
meetings throughout 2017, Wilma Subra, a technical advisor to the
environmental advocacy group Louisiana Environmental Action Network
(LEAN), reviewed the results of EPA air monitoring from six sites in
the parish, which she will continue this year.

After the EPA’s concerns became public, Denka agreed to cut harmful
emissions by up to 85 percent. Yet a year after air monitoring began,
pollution levels were actually worse at five of the six sites. And
that was despite the plant making costly improvements due to an
agreement with regulators, according to CNN.
[http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/20/health/louisiana-toxic-town/index.html]
On December 19, at the group’s last meeting of 2017, Subra went
over the latest EPA data: Chloroprene emissions are, at times, still
well above EPA-recommended standards.

As I documented Concerned Citizens throughout 2017 for DeSmog, I
watched it grow into an advocacy force to be reckoned with — a unity
and power they acknowledged at a Christmas celebration following their
last meeting.

“The group had some growing pains over the course of the year, but
we are now stronger than ever,” Taylor told me. “Our group can’t
be influenced by anyone, which makes us dangerous.”

All Politics Is Local

In 2018 Concerned Citizens plans to find and back candidates to run
for local offices in order to replace the politicians who brushed off
their concerns in 2017. “Block by block, precinct by precinct, we
are planning to choose candidates who will represent our interests
over the industry’s,” Taylor said.

Geraldine Watkins, a 76-year-old great grandmother and member of
Concerned Citizens, is considering running for office herself.
Protecting the children who are forced to breathe the parish’s
toxic air has become her life’s mission.

She has no intention of giving up the fight for clean air until Denka
adheres to the EPA’s  recommended emission standard of 0.2
micrograms per cubic meter, a figure printed on the red t-shirts the
group wears.

The EPA emissions limits are determined with the goal of keeping the
cancer risk from air pollution to less than one in every million
people. When that goal is not achievable, the agency sets standards
based on the “upper limit of acceptability,” which is a risk of
100 in a million people. That figure is the basis for the EPA’s 0.2
micrograms per cubic meter standard in St. John the Baptist Parish.

Denka and Dr. Chuck Brown, the state’s top environmental regulator,
have challenged the EPA’s findings. Watkins and the other members of
Concerned Citizens say they have no reason to believe the EPA got it
wrong.

Though the EPA declined to comment when I asked if there were any
problems with its findings on chloroprene, citing it as an open case,
CNN reported
[http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/20/health/louisiana-toxic-town/index.html]
that an EPA spokesperson said the science behind the agency’s
findings was solid.

“We appreciate that the EPA warned us about the chloroprene,”
Watkins told me, but it is clear to her that she and other parish
residents “are mere guinea pigs in the scheme of things. The lack of
action by the government since the EPA’s findings were released
makes it complicit in allowing Denka and DuPont to poison us.”

In the new year, in addition to entering local politics, the Concerned
Citizens of St. John also plan to form an alliance with other citizens
groups in Cancer Alley which are also standing up to pollution.

“I’m not just fighting for myself. I’m fighting for everyone in
the parish, especially the children,” Watkins said.

_Julie Dermansky is a multimedia reporter and artist based in New
Orleans. She is an affiliate scholar at Rutgers University’s Center
for the Study of Genocide and Human Rights. Visit her website at
www.jsdart.com [http://www.jsdart.com/#!/index]. _

_The DeSmogBlog Project began in January 2006 and quickly became the
world’s number one source for accurate, fact based information
regarding global warming misinformation campaigns. _