Print

Portside Digest -

          The Difference Self-organising Makes: The Creative Resistance of Domestic Workers

          September 25, 2017

          Here are two pieces about challenges facing worker organizing in Middle East!  Informal networks of self-help and mutual care have given rise to a workers-led alliance in Lebanon to fight for rights of domestic workers. In EI article, Al-Austath, who heads the Palestinian Federation of Garment Industries, argues that Israel has a deliberate policy of preventing Gaza from nurturing its own industries. “They hate us because we work hard and build our country,” he said.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-25/difference-self-organising-makes-creative-resistance-domestic-workers

          Why We Need Community Centered Climate Policy Even More

          September 25, 2017

          Since the passage of the closed door California climate deal in late July, SCOPE has joined forces with grassroots leaders from across the state to organize town-halls, ground-truth the impacts of polluting industries in our neighborhoods, meet with legislators in Sacramento, and continue to push forward a community-led vision for transformation that starts in our own neighborhoods.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-25/why-we-need-community-centered-climate-policy-even-more

          Hard As Nails: Battling Toxic Chemicals and Low Wages in California’s Salons

          September 25, 2017

          Nail salons and spa services are booming -- along with exploited immigrant workers, wage theft, low wages and toxic, dangerous chemicals.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-25/hard-nails-battling-toxic-chemicals-and-low-wages-california%E2%80%99s-salons

          Abortion Is Central to Universal Health Care. Will Democrats Protect It?

          September 25, 2017

          Reproductive are core to real universal health care.  These three articles cover some of the turf.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-25/abortion-central-universal-health-care-will-democrats-protect-it

          Now Comes the Uncomfortable Question: Who Gets to Rebuild After Harvey?

          September 25, 2017

          Three pieces for consideration as post-Harvey struggles for economic justice move forward.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-25/now-comes-uncomfortable-question-who-gets-rebuild-after-harvey

          Farm-To-Table May Feel Virtuous, But It's Food Labor That's Ripe For Change

          September 25, 2017

          Farm-to-table's sincere glow distracts from how the production and processing of even the most pristine ingredients — from field or dock or slaughterhouse to restaurant or school cafeteria — is nearly always configured to rely on cheap labor. Work very often performed by people who are themselves poor and hungry.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-25/farm-table-may-feel-virtuous-its-food-labor-thats-ripe-change

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org