Print

Portside Digest -

          The Secret History of FEMA

          September 3, 2017

          Most of the various predecessors to FEMA weren’t all that concerned with civilian natural disasters. They were primarily focused on responding to nuclear war; the evolution to being the first call after a hurricane, flood, or tornado came about in part because it turned out America doesn’t have all that many nuclear wars—and the equipment and supply stockpiles and disaster-response experts at FEMA’s predecessors were useful for something other than the apocalypse.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-04/secret-history-fema

          Dirty Laundry: An Investigation

          September 3, 2017

          Thousands of laundry workers—largely African-American or immigrant women—labor in hot, crowded, and often dangerous or toxic conditions to clean the linens used by millions. And it is these workers who endure the consequences of an industry plagued by poor working conditions, exploitation, and abuse.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-04/dirty-laundry-investigation

          Behind Fascist Balbo Monument, a History of Multiracial Resistance

          September 3, 2017

          A Chicago Tribune feature story last week mentioned in passing “mainstream supporters” of Italian fascism in 1930s Chicago; indeed, Chicago Mayor Edward Kelly appears to have been an enthusiastic fan of Mussolini.  But we should also remember the courageous anti-fascist organizing in Chicago at the time by Italian Americans and African Americans, who drew explicit connections between the fascist ideology being celebrated and the racist and repressive system existing here

          https://portside.org/2017-09-04/behind-fascist-balbo-monument-history-multiracial-resistance

          As Arkema Plant Burns, Six Things We Know About Petrochemical Risks in the Wake of Harvey

          September 3, 2017

          We knew that climate change stands to make such events worse. We knew how to prepare communities and infrastructure for major storms. We knew why we shouldn’t build infrastructure in floodplains and why we shouldn’t design infrastructure that can’t withstand wind and water risks.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-04/arkema-plant-burns-six-things-we-know-about-petrochemical-risks-wake-harvey

          Massachusetts Executed Two Italian Immigrants 90 Years Ago: Why The Global Fallout Still Matters

          September 3, 2017

          For many people in 1927 and after, the two men were victims of a deep-seated fear of immigrants. For others, they were criminals and terrorists who benefited from a worldwide campaign led by people who despised America and its institutions.Today, the United States is engaged in a bitter struggle between these same two views, with the xenophobic forces currently in political power, especially in the White House.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-03/massachusetts-executed-two-italian-immigrants-90-years-ago-why-global-fallout-still

          Hollywood Unions Offer the Perfect Model for the Beaten-down Workers of Today's Gig Economy

          September 3, 2017

          The gig economy is a disaster for workers. Hollywood’s unions can help them learn to fight back.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-03/hollywood-unions-offer-perfect-model-beaten-down-workers-todays-gig-economy

          How Game of Thrones’ Arya and Sansa Played the Game of Gender Politics and Won

          September 3, 2017

          Where HBO's Game of Thrones once showed a one-dimensional view of female strength, it now makes clear that there are many ways to be strong.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-03/how-game-thrones%E2%80%99-arya-and-sansa-played-game-gender-politics-and-won

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org