Portside Digest -

          Bobby Rush Opposes Israel Anti-Boycott Act

          September 6, 2017

          Although Rep. Bobby Rush's name appears on the list of co-sponsors of anti-BDS legislation, he is opposed to the legislation which would criminalize support for the boycott of Israel.  Promoted by Israel advocacy groups to undermine the movement for Palestinian rights in the United States, it poses a civil liberties threat thaqt has led the ACLU to call for its defeat.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-06/bobby-rush-opposes-israel-anti-boycott-act

          Widening the Tent for a Multiracial Labor Movement

          September 6, 2017

          Since the early 1900s and before, Black workers have not viewed labor unions and labor organizing as separate from the rest of their lives and have fought for union politics that reflect that understanding.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-06/widening-tent-multiracial-labor-movement

          What to Do When White Supremacists March in Your Town

          September 6, 2017

          If we want to get to a new world, we must face the truth about what we do every day to support white supremacy and what we must do to destroy these practices. If this is a defining moment, we must insist that we define ourselves and refuse to release that power to our enemies. In this spirit of resilience, we offer the following recommendations as we prepare for white supremacists, Neo Nazis, and alt-right supporters to march in communities across the country.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-06/what-do-when-white-supremacists-march-your-town

          Waiting for a Perfect Protest?

          September 6, 2017

          Our concern at this moment is with our moderate brothers and sisters who voice support for the cause of racial justice but simultaneously cling to paralyzingly unrealistic standards when it comes to what protest should look like.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-06/waiting-perfect-protest

          A Tale Of Many Cities: Potholes in the Road To Municipal Reform

          September 6, 2017

           Gonzalez, in his book Reclaiming Gotham: Bill De Blasio and the Movement to End America's Tale of Two Cities argues that de Blasio has presided over the “most left-leaning government in the history of America’s greatest city." He "reports that, under de Blasio, poor and working class New Yorkers have received a $21 billion “infusion of income and economic benefits” which also includes long deferred wage increases.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-06/tale-many-cities-potholes-road-municipal-reform

          The Origins of Collective Decision Making

          September 6, 2017

          It may surprise some to know that the origins of the kind of deliberative, representative, majority-rule democracy that characterizes modern legislatures in societies governed by representative democracy is actually a working class invention. Yet that is the claim, says Geoffrey Kurtz, that Andy Blunden is making in this study about how collective decisions are made.

          https://portside.org/2017-09-06/origins-collective-decision-making

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org