Portside Snapshot - August 19, 2017

Forget North Korea, America Is Already Quietly Nuking Itself

Everett Numbers
Antimedia
While senior U.S. officials led by President Trump and media pundits sound the alarm over North Korea’s nuclear ambitions, America has been dealing with a series of nuclear leaks domestically that are already exposing the public to radioactive material.

How Identity Became a Weapon Against the Left

Briahna Joy Gray
Current Affairs
Dissonance created by a certain conception of identity: if we believe that “women and people of color” are defined entirely by their identities, it becomes impossible to understand how anyone who shares the identity could reject a candidate who fits that identity. Once the distinction between perspective and identity is erased, voters of color become an undifferentiated hive mind incapable of political independence.

Monopoly was Invented to Demonstrate the Evils of Capitalism

Kate Raworth
Aeon
The original purpose of Monopoly was for players to experience a ‘practical demonstration of the present system of land grabbing with all its usual outcomes and consequences’ and hence to understand how different approaches to property ownership can lead to vastly different social outcomes.

I Went to Counterprotest Neo-Nazis in Charlottesville. I Witnessed Carnage

Austin Gonzalez
Washington Post
Make no mistake about it: What we observed was an act of terror. This brutality was designed to intimidate people of color, such as myself, as well as to intimidate the many courageous people who were in Charlottesville opposing white supremacy in full force. The goal was to place a high cost on protesting white supremacy and to frighten people away from standing up for their rights.

Confront White Supremacy from Charlottesville to the White House

The Movement for Black Lives
The Movement for Black Lives
The events in Charlottesville are not anomaly; They are happening all over America. Challenge yourself to use your imagination and consider all the symbols and institutions of white supremacy.
PLUS: A call on all Asian Americans to join us in defending our vision of democracy – one where we protect the vulnerable amongst us, resist efforts to erode our hard-won rights and protections, and fight to advance progress for all marginalized communities.

VIEW ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

To unsubscribe from the PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT list, click the following link:
Unsubscribe from Portside Snapshot