Print

Portside Snapshot - February 23, 2017

Fighting voter ID laws in the courts isn't enough. We need boots on the ground

Molly J. McGrath
Los Angeles Times
Groups like the American Civil Liberties Union have focused on challenging voter ID mandates in court. That’s essential, but it’s not enough. As court battles proceed, we must acknowledge our collective obligation to voters by investing in on-the-ground, in-person support.

How Immigrants Built the American Left—And Can Build It Again

Nelson Lichtenstein
Dissent
If and when a twenty-first-century left comes into being, immigrants—whether freshly arrived or one or two generations in—will be at the heart of it. A path to citizenship for all those now rendered vulnerable by their resident status is essential to building a more pluralistic, multicultural society. Yet a new left must go further, not merely defending the civil liberties of these new Americans but seeking to give them a new power and a new voice.

Visions Shared from the Left

European Left
The rise of authoritarian right wing movements is intensifying the inequality and exploitation of neoliberalism. Key to resistance is building unity around substantive alternatives. This was the theme of a seminar organized by the Forum of Sao Paulo (FSP) and the European Left brought together parties and movements from Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean to discuss visions and strategies for the left.

When Stuart Hall was White

James Vernon
Public Books
Stuart Hall, the Jamaican immigrant who became one of the premier left wing intellectuals in the United Kingdom during the last half century, was a pioneering theorist on the rise of the right wing in modern politics, an major exponent of postcolonial theory, and a founder of Cultural Studies as an academic discipline. In this ironically titled review of two new important books of Hall's writing, Vernon offers a compelling portrait of this important figure.

VIEW ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

To unsubscribe from the PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT list, click the following link:
Unsubscribe from Portside Snapshot