Portside Snapshot - November 23, 2016

Medics Describe How Police Sprayed Standing Rock Demonstrators With Tear Gas and Water Cannons

Alleen Brown
The Intercept
Noah Morris was another medic at the scene. “They were just hosing people down with their water cannon that continued for the entirety of the four hours I was out there watching,” he said. He said that earlier in the week, the rivers and creeks nearby had started to crust over with ice. As he and his team flushed the eyes of people sprayed with tear gas, the water and milk of magnesia they used turned to black ice on the ground.

Mazzocchi and the Moment

Adoph Reed, Jr.
NonSite.org
Tony often observed, regarding capital’s revanchist attack on working people that has steadily intensified over the last four decades, that what we would now call the neoliberal Democrats had nothing to offer those who have been or fear being ground into the dust by the juggernaut. He cautioned that, if the left and the labor movement didn’t find ways to connect with that growing population of those hurting, ... other, nasty and dangerous tendencies would.

A Pentagon Rising: Is a Trump Presidency Good News for the Military-Industrial Complex?

William Hartung
TomDispatch
As we enter the new era of Donald Trump, amid a welter of conflicting signals, only one thing seems clear when it comes to the U.S. military. Whatever extreme figures end up in key posts in the Trump version of the national security state, as TomDispatch regular William Hartung indicates today, yet more money will be sent swirling down the Pentagon's drain.

Trump Has a Plan for Government Workers. They’re not Going to Like It.

Lisa Rein
The Washington Post
Hiring freezes, an end to automatic raises, a green light to fire poor performers, a ban on union business on the government’s dime and less generous pensions — these are the contours of the blueprint emerging under Republican control of Washington in January.
these are the contours of the blueprint emerging under Republican control of Washington in January.

More Than Ever - We Need Your Help

Portside
Every day, we at Portside contribute our best efforts at finding and sharing the most interesting and useful material we can - to help remake the world into a fairer and more peaceful place. Seeing Portside's material read and forwarded and acted on is a huge reward. Once a year, we appeal to readers to contribute to join us in helping make the work of possible. It may be the biggest return on investment you'll ever get.

When Past Is Present: 'After Fire' Is A Nuanced Portrait of Women Veterans

Amelia Ayrelan Luvino
Bitch Media
The opening scenes of After Fire, the new documentary about the struggles faced by women veterans after they leave military service, make a case for its importance through statistics. Viewers are informed that women are the fastest growing group of veterans, and that one in five veterans are women.

VIEW ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

To unsubscribe from the PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT list, click the following link:
Unsubscribe from Portside Snapshot