Portside Snapshot - October 27, 2016

Mass Incarceration And Its Mystification: A Review Of The 13th

Dan Berger
African American Intellectual History Society
The 13th effectively demonstrates that criminalization has been a persistent feature of anti-Black racism. The film does not discuss the policies that gave greater power to police, prosecutors, and prisons in those critical years.

The Nobel Committee Got It Wrong: Ngugi wa Thiong’o Is the Writer the World Needs Now

Rajeev Balasubramanyam
The Washington Post
"When I first heard about Bob Dylan’s selection for the prize, I wasn’t concerned that the award had gone to a musician; I was disturbed that the committee had demonstrated an apparent obliviousness to the times we are living in. The US is saddled with a presidential candidate who peddles in misogyny and appeals to white supremacists.

The German Left isn’t Buried Yet, says Linke Leader

Jacopo Rosatelli
il manifesto
“Left-wing populism” makes clear that boundaries that create and represent identities do not run between people of different geographical origin, but among those at the bottom and at the top of society. This is a useful and appropriate populism. It has nothing to do with right-wing populism: the Others on the other side of the fence are not foreigners, but the richest 10 percent of society.

Harvard's Social Justice Paradox

Emily Deruy
The Atlantic
The university has the largest endowment in the United States and is the birthplace of some of the nation’s most progressive ideas, but workers said they couldn’t pay basic living expenses.

Unions Push For Big Turnout In Ohio

Bruce Bostick
People's World
In Ohio, United Steelworkers of America and the American Federation of State County and Municipal Workers rally in support of Secretary Hillary Clinton.

Unions Push For Big Turnout In Ohio

Bruce Bostick
People's World
Unions, including the United Steelworkers of America and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, rally to help elect Secretary Hillary Clinton in Ohio.

VIEW ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

To unsubscribe from the PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT list, click the following link:
Unsubscribe from Portside Snapshot