Portside Snapshot - April 3, 2016

Not Chicago 1968, but Berlin 1932; 2016 is Unique

Robert J. S. Ross; response by Ethan Young
The American Prospect
If left leaning activists are serious about their characterization of Trump as a fascist, then they better get serious about the problem of unity...For better or worse, this is not Germany 1932, nor is it Nixon vs Humphrey in 1968. 2016 is unique. There is a political crisis, but nothing like the end of the Weimar Republic. To begin with, it's a stretch to compare the 2016 race to Germany 1932.

Time to Transform Bernie's Campaign Into a Permanent Organization

Miles Mogulescu
Huffington Post
The biggest question for Bernie Sanders and his supporters is whether they'll transform his presidential campaign into a permanent organization that can carry his political revolution forward in the long-term; or whether, like Occupy Wall Street, it will quickly disappear.

Israeli Minster Calls for "Civil Targeted Killings" of BDS Leaders

Richard Silverstein
Tikun Olam
The Israeli mainstream newspaper Yediot Ahronoth held its first conference targeting the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement. The Yediot Achronot conference attacking BDS has become a veritable carnival of hate. Everyone from delusional Hollywood celebrities (Roseanne Barr) to cabinet ministers, to the leader of the Opposition have pledged fealty to the cause. Two of the speakers are under criminal investigation for corrupt political or financial dealings.

The Antibiotics Dilemma: Running Out of Drugs to Treat the Superbugs

Keri Phillips
Australian Broadcasting Corporation Radio National
Growing resistance to antibiotics now allows long-treatable diseases to once again become killers. Yet, pharmaceutical companies are sacking their antibiotic researchers. Even with the looming threat of drug resistant “superbugs,” there are now less than 1,500 researchers who know how to develop antibiotics. It’s a problem rooted in the market-driven nature of the pharmaceutical industry. Big Pharma makes more money by making expensive drugs and selling a lot of them.

Uncharted Territory: Are We in a New American World?

Tom Englehardt
TomDispatch
This is not war as we once knew it, nor is it government as we once understood it, nor are these elections as we once imagined them, nor is this democracy as it used to be conceived of, nor is this journalism of a kind ever taught in a journalism school. This is the definition of uncharted territory. A new, more frightening America is emerging and we can’t blame it all on Donald Trump. For it is this new America-in-formation that has paved the way for him.

The CTU’s Strike for Democracy

Lois Weiner
Jacobin
The Chicago Teachers Union’s strike today is a challenge to the rest of labor to break anti-union rules.

VIEW ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

To unsubscribe from the PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT list, click the following link:
Unsubscribe from Portside Snapshot