Portside Digest -

          The Historians' Group of the Communist Party - Ten Years that Reshaped History

          March 8, 2016

          In late 1946 a group of historians, friends and members of the Communist Party started regularly meeting in Marx’s House in London. By means of discussion papers, presentations, and conferences it was sought to alter the way the British people perceived their own history.

          https://portside.org/2016-03-08/historians-group-communist-party-ten-years-reshaped-history

          Dispatches From the Culture Wars

          March 8, 2016

          SCOTUS’s Feminist Half; Obama Busts Abstinence; The Incredible Trump; God’s Own Führer; Mad, Gifted and Jewish

          https://portside.org/2016-03-08/dispatches-culture-wars

          'We wasted 40 years talking about nothing, doing nothing' : Pappe demolishes the peace process

          March 8, 2016

           The ethnic cleansing of some 500 villages in 1948 was followed by the ethnic cleansing of 36 Palestinian villages inside Israel between ‘48 and ‘56 and the creation of the Gaza Strip as a refugee camp for expelled Palestinians. From the early ’60s on an Israeli “lobby” of generals and politicians demanded that Israel also colonize the West Bank. David Ben-Gurion stood in the way but in 1964 he was expelled from the government and the lobby gained power.

          https://portside.org/2016-03-08/we-wasted-40-years-talking-about-nothing-doing-nothing-pappe-demolishes-peace-process

          More than 2,000 Boston Public School Students Walk Out of Class to Protest Budget Cuts

          March 8, 2016

          The students marched through downtown Boston after walking out of class to protest planned budget cuts, carrying signs and chanting, "What do we want? Education!," as shoppers and onlookers walking down Newbury Street pulled out their cell phones to record the demonstration.

          https://portside.org/2016-03-08/more-2000-boston-public-school-students-walk-out-class-protest-budget-cuts

          Dr. Quentin Young, Doctor to Martin Luther King Jr. and Obama, Dies at 93

          March 8, 2016

          "From my adolescent years to the present, I've never wavered in my belief in humanity's ability - and our collective responsibility - to bring about a more just and equitable social order. I've always believed in humanity's potential to create a more caring society.

          https://portside.org/2016-03-08/dr-quentin-young-doctor-martin-luther-king-jr-and-obama-dies-93

          Tech Workers Should Unionize

          March 8, 2016

          The fact that your company gives you good free lunches and shuttles to work and nice paycheck does not change the fact that you could get more by negotiating together, as a union. Anyone smart enough to get a job at Google is smart enough to grasp these facts.

          https://portside.org/2016-03-08/tech-workers-should-unionize

          Homegrown: A New HBO Film Delves  Into FBI Arrests of Youths for Terrorism Crimes They Might Commit

          March 8, 2016

          The ethical issues involved in preventive counterterrorism cases are the theme behind much of Homegrown.  Following 9/11, law enforcement agencies were given a mandate to halt terrorist acts before they occurred, rather than investigate crimes after the fact. This directive inevitably gave rise to some disturbing ethical questions. When is it acceptable to arrest someone for a crime they haven’t actually committed, but you think they might commit in the future?

          https://portside.org/2016-03-08/homegrown-new-hbo-film-delves-fbi-arrests-youths-terrorism-crimes-they-might-commit

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org