Portside Snapshot - January 6, 2016

Why Is the US Deporting Refugee Families?

Michelle Chen
The Nation
The law the Obama administration is following, immigrant advocates say, runs counter to the higher mandate the White House should be abiding by. International humanitarian law actually dictates that these desperate parents and children be granted protection from the persecution and violence they have fled in their home countries.

Wisconsin Public Sector Unions Plot Fightback as Supreme Court Case Looms

Steven Greenhouse
The Guardian
“When we talk to potential union members, we explain, ‘Your working conditions aren’t going to get better unless we act as a unit, as a union,’” Spink said. “We have to relearn the lessons of labor from the 1930s and 1940s – of collective action and collective message."

The United States Shouldn’t Choose Saudi Arabia Over Iran

Stephen Kinzer
Politico
The United States should do everything possible to avoid choosing sides in an intensifying proxy war between the dominant Shiite and Sunni powers in the Middle East. Though history tells us we should tilt toward Saudi Arabia, our old ally, if we look toward the future, Iran is the more logical partner. The reasons are simple: Iran’s security interests are closer to ours than Saudi Arabia’s are.

A New Political Situation in Latin America: What Lies Ahead?

La Llamarada with Claudio Katz, trans by Richard Fidler
The Bullet
Two recent events – the second-round victory on November 22 of right-wing candidate Mauricio Macri in Argentina's presidential election, and the December 6 victory of the right-wing Democratic Unity Roundtable,[1] winning two thirds of the seats in Venezuela's National Assembly elections – have radically altered the political map in South America.

Review: 'The Hunger Games' - Rebel Without A Cause

Marlon Lieber & Daniel Zamora
Jacobin
The politics of The Hunger Games series aren’t as revolutionary as they’ve been hyped to be. Far from helping us reveal our most pressing contemporary problems, the liberal ideological message of The Hunger Games is that the major problems facing society today are state domination, dictatorships, and the restriction of individual liberties — in short, everything except for exploitation and capitalism.

VIEW ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

To unsubscribe from the PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT list, click the following link:
Unsubscribe from Portside Snapshot