Portside Digest -

          Political Correctness Doesn't Curb Free Speech, It Expands It

          December 9, 2015

          Framing free speech and political correctness as opposing forces is a false dichotomy intended to derail uncomfortable but necessary conversations, a smokescreen ginned up by the ethically lazy. The fact is, political correctness doesn’t hinder free speech – it expands it. But for marginalised groups, rather than the status quo.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-09/political-correctness-doesnt-curb-free-speech-it-expands-it

          The Causes and Consequences of Venezuelan Election Results

          December 9, 2015

          For the first time, Chavistas may not feel like the proud, governing majority in the country. On the other hand, an opposition with power is more the reason for strengthening organization. Having lost the luxury of taking victories for granted, the grassroots will need to become even more serious.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-09/causes-and-consequences-venezuelan-election-results

          Bernie Sanders Unveils Forceful Climate Change Plan, and He's Going After Big Oil

          December 9, 2015

          Bernie Sanders comprehensive energy plan takes aim at the fossil fuel industry, addressing nearly every controversial issue under the energy and environment policy umbrella. It would outright ban offshore drilling, ban Arctic drilling, block natural gas exports, stop attempts to lift a decades-old ban on crude oil exports, support states trying to ban natural gas fracking, and ban mountaintop removal coal mining.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-09/bernie-sanders-unveils-forceful-climate-change-plan-and-hes-going-after-big-oil

          Mayoral Recall Bill Filed in Illinois Legislature

          December 9, 2015

          Amidst ongoing and widespread protests calling for Mayor Rahm Emanuel's resignation, Illinois State Rep. La Shawn Ford (D-8) has filed legislation, House Bill 4356, which would provide a mechanism for recalling the Mayor of Chicago.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-09/mayoral-recall-bill-filed-illinois-legislature

          Why It's Hard To Be a Lifer Getting Out of Prison

          December 9, 2015

          After 34 years inside, sometimes you never feel free.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-09/why-its-hard-be-lifer-getting-out-prison

          Worker Wins Update: From Airports to the Airwaves, Workers Make Gains Over Busy Fall

          December 10, 2015

          Union organizing victories across the country from Phoenix Airport Fueling Agents to Barnard College Adjuncts is good news for the labor movement.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-10/worker-wins-update-airports-airwaves-workers-make-gains-over-busy-fall

          Portside Aims to Provide Varied Material of Interest to People on the Left - How You Can Help

          December 9, 2015

          Portside aims to provide varied material of interest to people on the left that will help them to interpret the world, and to change it. Every day, we try finding and sharing the most interesting and useful material we can, aimed at helping remaking the world into a fairer and more peaceful place. Once a year we appeal to readers to contribute to sustain the infrastructure that makes Portside possible. It may be the biggest return on investment you'll ever get.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-09/portside-aims-provide-varied-material-interest-people-left-how-you-can-help

          Have Guns, Will Liberate

          December 9, 2015

          This ethnographic study of America's gun culture focuses on Detroit and Flint, Michigan, and it both confirms and challenges aspects of received wisdom about our country and our firearms.

          https://portside.org/2015-12-09/have-guns-will-liberate

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org