Portside Snapshot - December 9, 2015

"Liberté Is Not Just A Word": Klein, Corbyn Call for Mass Protest at COP21

Nadia Prupis
Common Dreams
"We will be mourning the lives already lost to climate disruption, in solidarity with the lives lost to the tragic attacks here in Paris and enlarging that circle of mourning," Klein said. "By taking to the streets, we will be clearly and unequivocally rejecting the Hollande government's draconian and opportunistic bans on marches, protests, and demonstrations."

Trump International Employees Vote to Join Culinary Union

J.D. Morris
VEGASINC
Democratic politicians picked up on the union’s organizing campaign. Presidential candidate and former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley spoke in favor of the Culinary two days before a rally in August. And Hillary Clinton relayed support at a union rally in October, a day before the first Democratic debate at the Wynn Las Vegas.

We Need Your Help and Support - Annual Message from the Moderators of Portside to Our Readers

Portside
Once a year, Portside asks our readers for support. And every year, our readers come through. Thank you, thank you! Our role as moderators is bringing you material that is relevant, lively and useful, as we work together for a better country and world. If you have already contributed, many thanks! If you haven't... please do. While our expenses are relatively modest, they are very real. Here's why we are asking for your support.

Review: In ‘Creed,’ Rocky’s Back, as a Mentor, Not a Fighter

A.O. Scott
The New York Times
The movie is also a Hollywood rarity - a boxing movie with a black hero. It is bizarre, though hardly surprising, that a sport dominated for decades by African-American and Latino athletes looks more like ice hockey on screen. And Creed, embeds its drama in the perils and pleasures of black life in America. Adonis is a complex character with a complex fate. He is at once a rich kid and a street kid, the proud carrier of an illustrious heritage and an invisible man.

VIEW ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

To unsubscribe from the PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT list, click the following link:
Unsubscribe from Portside Snapshot