Portside Snapshot - October 22, 2015

Slow Burn: Bernie Sanders Ignites a Populist Movement

Rick Perlstein
The Washington Spectator
Rick Perlstein noticed Republicans showing up at Bernie Sanders events. He set out to find out just how many of them there are. They don’t know they are not supposed to like Bernie Sanders. They hear what he is saying, and like what they hear. Something is happening here that reminds us that our models for predicting winners and losers in politics always need to be subject to revision.

Thinking Dialectically: What Grace Lee Boggs Taught Me

Robin D.G. Kelley
Praxis Center
Robin D.G. Kelley's searching tribute to Grace Lee Boggs: She never gave up on our capacity to think and act and think more deeply. She relentlessly and lovingly pushed us with the force and precision of the expert dialectician we all knew her to be.

"When I See Them I See Us": Powerful Gesture of Black-Palestinian Solidarity

Ehab Zahriyeh
Aljazeera America
A short video, titled “When I See Them I See Us,” was released by a range of African-American and Palestine-solidarity groups. The video, which includes Lauryn Hill, Angela Davis, Cornel West, Alice Walker, Danny Glover and dozens of other academics, activists and artists, juxtaposes high profile killings of unarmed African-Americans by police with Palestinians killed by Israeli forces and settlers.

Dusty and Jimi

Charles Bethea
The New Yorker
Pro baseball player and coach Dusty Baker was a teenage rock and roller. His new memoir details those years, centered on the legendary Monterey Pop Festival, where Jimi Hendrix played his way to stardom. Charles Bethea profiles Baker in advance of his memoir of those year of hanging out with a host of legendary musicians and learning how rock and roll is like baseball.

VIEW ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

To unsubscribe from the PORTSIDE-SNAPSHOT list, click the following link:
Unsubscribe from Portside Snapshot