Portside Digest -

          August 6 and 9, 1945: Reverberations Across Seventy Years

          August 4, 2015

          August 6 and 9 mark the 70th anniversary of the United States dropping atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. This mass destruction of civilians (not military targets, as President Truman alleged) has reverberated perversely across 7 decades, with the spread of nuclear weapons and the persistent pressure on Japan by the United States to abandon its post-war Peace Constitution.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-04/august-6-and-9-1945-reverberations-across-seventy-years

          The U.S./Turkey Deal-Disaster in the Making

          August 4, 2015

          The “plan” will also toss the Kurds, one of Washington’s most reliable allies in the fight against the Islamic State, under a bus. “The Americans are not very clever in calculating this sort of thing,” Kamran Karadaghi, former chief of staff to Iraqi President and Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani, told the Independent’s Patrick Cockburn. “Maybe they calculate that with Turkey on their side, they don’t need the Kurds.”

          https://portside.org/2015-08-04/usturkey-deal-disaster-making

          Hey Congress, Defunding Planned Parenthood Is Bad For Your Health

          August 4, 2015

          By amplifying distortions and outright lies about Planned Parenthood's involvement in fetal tissue research, members of Congress are demonstrating their true colors about women's health. Planned Parenthood has an exemplary track record of empowering women and families. Rather than celebrating these triumphs, politicians are portraying them as threats.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-04/hey-congress-defunding-planned-parenthood-bad-your-health

          Social Democracy or Revolutionary Democracy: Syriza and Us

          August 4, 2015

          Any country that would challenge neoliberalism inevitably will face the assorted weapons of international capital. The central question, then, is whether a government is “willing to mobilize its people on behalf of the policies that meet the needs of people.” And this was the question I posed about Syriza in 2013: “do the stances taken by the Syriza leadership foster or weaken the movements from below?

          https://portside.org/2015-08-04/social-democracy-or-revolutionary-democracy-syriza-and-us

          Media Bits And Bytes – Masters of Deceit Edition

          August 4, 2015

          WashPost disgraces itself; LAT disgraces itself; NYT disgraces itself; Google tax; Yay Jon

          https://portside.org/2015-08-04/media-bits-and-bytes-%E2%80%93-masters-deceit-edition

          I Am Not Tom Brady

          August 4, 2015

          Why Are Urban Teachers Being Trained to be Robots?
 As my students entered the room, I was supposed to say: "In seats, zero talking, page 6, questions, 1-4." But I don't even talk to my dog like that. Constant narration of what the students are doing is also key to the NNN teaching style. "Noel is is finishing question 3. Marjorie is sitting silently. Alfredo is on page 6."

          https://portside.org/2015-08-04/i-am-not-tom-brady

          Review: ‘Listen to Me Marlon’ Explores Brando’s Life of Contention

          August 4, 2015

          As his admirer James Dean probably knew all too well, Brando was a true rebel, partly because he thought being a star was absurd and partly because, as clip after clip in 'Listen to Me Marlon' shows, he always had a cause, whether it was civil rights, black power, Native American sovereignty or his own independence.

          https://portside.org/2015-08-04/review-%E2%80%98listen-me-marlon%E2%80%99-explores-brando%E2%80%99s-life-contention

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org