Portside Digest -

          Protect the Public's Right to Free Speech and Free Press

          May 10, 2015

          Manning’s latest Guardian op-ed: We're citizens, not subjects.  We have the right to criticize government without fear.  The American public needs more access to what the government is doing in its name. That requires increasing freedom of information and transparency.

          https://portside.org/2015-05-11/protect-publics-right-free-speech-and-free-press

          Eyewitness to the ‘Fall’ of Vietnam: It Was Not a Bloodbath

          May 10, 2015

          Claudia Krich, longtime Davis resident and retired teacher, attended a Sacramento screening of the documentary “Last Days in Vietnam” and was moved to write this essay. The documentary rekindled memories of the unique experience she and her husband Keith Brinton shared from 1973 until July of 1975,when they co-directed a civilian rehabilitation program and hosted visiting journalists and officials near My Lai. They stayed in Saigon  and saw what happened April 30th.

          https://portside.org/2015-05-11/eyewitness-%E2%80%98fall%E2%80%99-vietnam-it-was-not-bloodbath

          Bosnie - Sarajevo: The Women’s Court in the Former Yugoslavia

          May 10, 2015

          May 7 the Women’s Court on war crimes against women during the war in the 1990ies formally started in Sarajevo, Bosnia.  Women have come together from all the corners of the former-Yugoslavia to participate in the Women’s Court in Sarajevo, to demand justice for the crimes committed against them during the wars and the enduring inequalities and suffering that followed.

          https://portside.org/2015-05-11/bosnie-sarajevo-women%E2%80%99s-court-former-yugoslavia

          Remembering Guy Carawan: The Man Who Popularized ‘We Shall Overcome’

          May 10, 2015

          Guy Carawan's music became the unofficial anthems of the Civil Rights movement. For over 50 years, Guy was the music director of Highlander Center, an inter-racial training center for labor, civil rights, and environmental activists, located in rural Tennessee.  Guy graduated in 1949 from Occidental College, where he majored in math, played on the basketball team, and was a member of ATO fraternity - an unusual background for someone who would become a civil rights icon!

          https://portside.org/2015-05-11/remembering-guy-carawan-man-who-popularized-%E2%80%98we-shall-overcome%E2%80%99

          Hanging by a Thread! Los Angeles Garment Workers’ Struggle to Access Quality Care for their Children

          May 10, 2015

          New report detailing status of garment worker access to child care and related issues in Los Angeles.

          https://portside.org/2015-05-11/hanging-thread-los-angeles-garment-workers%E2%80%99-struggle-access-quality-care-their-children

          The Job-Killing-Robot Myth

          May 11, 2015

          Are the machines coming for our jobs?  Dean Baker argues that we need to get beyond the fear of robots and address the real causes of inequality, low wages and changes in the labor market.

          https://portside.org/2015-05-11/job-killing-robot-myth

          Fruit May Decrease Risk of Obesity

          May 11, 2015

          Study published in Journal of Nutrition finds fruit, not veggies, associated with lower risks of obesity.

          https://portside.org/2015-05-11/fruit-may-decrease-risk-obesity

VIEW ONLINE: https://portside.org/portsidegeneral
VISIT PORTSIDE.ORG: http://portside.org