REWIND - A Week of Quotes and Cartoons

July 6, 2013
By
Portside (July 6, 2013)

Voting Rights, Tom Friedmnan,Student Debt, Kidnapped President, Frederick Douglass and Unemployment

REWIND - A Week of Quotes and Cartoons
SUNDAY
Quote of the Day
	June 30, 2013
'Discrimination at the ballot box continues and is
	growing.'
Editorial
	New York Times
	June 30, 2013
Toon of the Day

	Knock, Knock
	Chris Britt - Cagle
MONDAY
Quote of the Day
`The Wealthy Man Who Worked for 1 Employer for
	30-some Yrs again lectures Middle Class on need to
	Re-Tool Self'
Michael Powell, a columnist on
	New York City for the New York
	Times, tweet-slammed fellow New
	York Times columnist Thomas
	Friedman for a column he wrote
	about how the decline of the
	middle class is a contributing
	factor to why there are now "so
	many popular street revolts in
	democracies," such as Turkey,
	Brazil, Egypt, Israel, Russia,
	Chile and the United States.
Salon
	June 30, 2013

Toon of the Day

	Student Debt
	John Darkow  - Columbia Daily Tribune
TUESDAY
Quote of the Day
'Unbelievably, interest rates on federally subsidized
	loans are doubling today, from 3.4 to 6.8 percent. As
	Congress bickers over alternatives, even Democrats
	are backing "market-based" plans that aren't as bad
	as GOP ideas, but aren't good either. I hope they can
	find a way to lower interest rates, but the real
	scandal isn't the rate hike. The real scandal is that
	we take for granted that young people must go into
	debt - at whatever interest rate - to pay for college.
'Of course, the truly lucky kids - those blessed
	wealthy members of the Lucky Sperm Club - sail
	through higher education without debt. But today,
	even upper-middle-class kids are having to take out
	loans, as the average annual cost of a four-year
	public university soars above $22,000, while private
	schools are over $50,000.  Who the hell thinks this
	is a good idea?'
Columnist Joan Walsh
	Salon
	July 1, 2013

Toon of the Day

	Congress Hums
	Mike Luckovich
WEDNESDAY
Quote of the Day
'We're talking about the president on an official trip
	after an official summit being kidnapped. We have
	no doubt that it was an order from the White House.
	By no means should a diplomatic plane with the
	president be diverted from its route and forced to
	land in another country.'
Sacha Llorenti Soliz, Bolivia's
	ambassador to the United Nations,
	after authorities in Portugal, France,
	Spain and Italy refused to allow a
	plane carrying Bolivian President
	Evo Morales to cross their airspace
The Independent (UK)
	July 3, 2013
Toon of the Day

	Friends?
	truthdig
	July 3, 2013
THURSDAY
Quote of the Day
'More than 160 years ago, the greatest abolitionist in
	U.S. history, the escaped slave Frederick Douglass,
	addressed the Rochester Ladies' Anti-Slavery
	Society. Douglass asked those gathered, "What, to
	the American slave, is your Fourth of July?" His
	words bear repeating this Independence Day, as the
	United States asserts unprecedented authority to
	wage war globally, to spy on everyone, everywhere.
	Independence Day should serve not as a blind
	celebration of the government, but as a moment to
	reflect on the central place in our history of grass-
	roots democracy movements, which have preserved
	and expanded the rights proclaimed in the opening
	lines of the Declaration of Independence: Life,
	liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.'
Amy Goodman with Denis Moynihan
	'This Independence Day, Thank a Protester'
	Democracy Now!
	July 3, 2013
Toon of the Day

Happy Fourth
	Rob Rogers
FRIDAY
Quote of the Day
'The good news is that this is a faster rate of growth
	than we have been seeing-the average growth rate
	for the previous twelve months was 169,000.
	However, the current pace of job growth is still
	slower than what's needed for economy to return to
	full employment any time soon. At this pace, it will
	still be more than five years until we get back to the
	pre-recession unemployment rate. While any sign of
	an improving labor market is encouraging, it's
	important to keep in mind that we are in still in
	second gear, not yet at highway speeds. For
	example, while the unemployment rate held steady
	at 7.6% in June, the "underemployment rate"-the
	U6 measure of labor underutilization-increased a
	half a percentage point to 14.3%, due to an increase
	in the number of workers who have part-time jobs
	but want full time jobs, and an increase in the
	number of unemployed workers who want a job but
	have given up looking for work.'
Economist Heidi Shierholz
	Economic Policy Institute
	July 5, 2013

Toon of the Day
Where From
	Jen Sorenson
SATURDAY
Quote of the Day
'Most congress critters clearly don't care about
	America's middle-class jobs depression. The White
	House cares, but doesn't treat it as the crisis it is, so
	nothing happens. The only jobs push we've had is
	the stop-gap effort by the Federal Reserve to pump
	enough money into the economy to keep
	unemployment from worsening.
'But rather than push harder, Ben Bernanke, head
	of the central bank, recently sounded retreat. He,
	too, uses the faulty unemployment statistic as a
	crutch to claim "improvement" - the jobless rate, he
	says, could drop to seven percent next year, so the
	Fed's stimulus will no longer be needed.
'That's shameful. Even if that was the true rate,
	seven percent equals 11 million unemployed
	Americans and many millions more who'd still be
	underemployed. From Bernanke to Congress, all
	government officials who shrug their shoulders and
	give up on helping that many Americans should
	themselves be made jobless.'
Jim Hightower
	LA Progressive
	July 6, 2013