REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
September 4, 2011

'The Haifa protest focused on the issue of
discrimination against Arabs. Shahin Nasser,
representative of the Wadi Nisnas protest tent in Haifa
said: "Today we are changing the rules of the game. No
more coexistence based on hummus and fava beans. What
is happening here is true coexistence, when Arabs and
Jews march together shoulder to shoulder calling for
social justice and peace. We've had it. Bibi, go home.
Steinitz, go and don't come back, Atias, good-bye and
good riddance," he said, referring to the prime
minister, the finance minister and the housing
minister, respectively.'

Haaretz (Israel) on protests held in major
cities across Israel Saturday, the biggest
rallies in the country's history

September 3, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3rew2hk

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3bwfzoc
Laboring
Mike Luckovich

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
September 5, 2011

'This Labor Day should be an uncomfortable day for our
political leaders, and for comfortable readers of this
newspaper, too. Working people are enduring hard times,
maybe the hardest in decades. Meanwhile, our national
political debate seems utterly out of touch with the
economic pain now being endured by millions of
precariously employed, under-employed and jobless
people across America.'

Harold Pollack, a professor of
social service administration
at the University of Chicago
New York Times
September 5, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3udo4ct

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3lwdok2
Offended
Daryl Cagle

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
September 6, 2011

'Near the end of his eight-year stint in office, Dick
Cheney was asked if he had any advice for the incoming
staff of Barack Obama. "Make sure you've got the vice-
president under control," he replied. Although he meant
it as a joke, the laughter must have been somewhat
forced, on both sides. Democrats viewed Mr Cheney as
the source of everything that was wrong with the
administration of George Bush junior-a sort of
bespectacled, balding Darth Vader. Mr Cheney's new
memoir, despite its breezy self-justification, does
little to dispel that notion, showing exactly how a
vice-president can run amok.'

Lexington
The Economist
September 3, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/42vvg2l

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3fluyfu
Disaster Relief
Signe Wilkinson

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
September 7, 2011

'Please Mr. President - DO NOT GIVE IN.  Keep your
speech to yourself.  Hide it from even your staff, if
you have to.  Do whatever is necessary not to leak this
speech until we all get to hear it on Thursday night.
You have been so accommodating to those who refused
your accommodation, they've nicknamed you "Ben Dover".
If you are concerned about demonstrating  your
leadership abilities, this upcoming speech is YOUR
MOMENT to take back what has been stolen from you.

'Quite simply, Mr. President - Tell Boehner and Cantor
to GO.TO.HELL.  Meet with them if you must, but you're
the President of the United States - tell them to show
you where in the Constitution they get script approval
on your speech.'

The Christian Progressive Liberal
on report that top House Republicans
want President Obama to huddle with
them before his Thursday jobs speech
to discuss potential areas of bipartisan
agreement

Jack & Jill Politics
September 7, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3ffxd3q

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3vabu3j
Jobs Recipe
Ben Sargent

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
September 8, 2011

'Policy makers struggling to understand the barrage of
financial panics, protests and other ills afflicting
the world would do well to study the works of a long-
dead economist: Karl Marx. The sooner they recognize
we're facing a once-in-a-lifetime crisis of capitalism,
the better equipped they will be to manage a way out of
it.

'The spirit of Marx, who is buried in a cemetery close
to where I live in north London, has risen from the
grave amid the financial crisis and subsequent economic
slump. The wily philosopher's analysis of capitalism
had a lot of flaws, but today's global economy bears
some uncanny resemblances to the conditions he
foresaw.'

George Magnus
Bloomberg.com
August 28, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3mtcwv2

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3rv4xes
Koch Brothers
Jeff Danziger

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
September 9, 2011

'But it's not just Republicans who need to take stock
of conditions back home. For starters, two-thirds of
the lobbyists with committee ties are Democrats.
Thirteen of them worked for committee co-chair, Senator
Patty Murray, who has strong ties to the defense
industry in Washington State. Although she has a record
of standing up for at-risk populations, The Nation's
Ari Berman reports that both she and fellow super
committee member Senator John Kerry signed a letter in
March calling for a "grand bargain" deal that would
include "discretionary spending cuts, entitlement
changes and tax reform."

'But nearly 30 percent of Murray's constituents are
already living on less than $44,100 for a family of
four, and more than one-quarter live on income from
Social Security. Since August 2008, the state lost
nearly 63,000 construction jobs and 29,000
manufacturing jobs. With one in five families now
dealing with hunger, more than 250,000 households
needed food stamps in the past 12 months. One in five
children under age five are now living in poverty, and
over 1.1 million people receive Medicaid or Children's
Health Insurance Program benefits.'

Katrina vanden Heuvel, editor and
publisher of The Nation, on
yesterday's first meeting of the
Congressional 'supercommittee'
on deficit reduction

September 8, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3zyoyee

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3tagzs3
GOP Science
Tony Auth

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
September 10, 2011

'I want you to call, I want you to e-mail, I want you
to tweet, I want you to fax, I want you to visit, I
want you to Facebook, send a carrier pigeon,

'I want you to tell your congressperson, "The time for
gridlock and games is over; the time for action is
now." '

President Barack Obama
to an audience of nearly
9,000 today on the campus