Print

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
January 16, 2011

'In her MSNBC interview that Wednesday, [Rep.
Gabrielle] Giffords said that [Sarah] Palin had put the
"crosshairs of a gun sight over our district," adding
that "when people do that, they've got to realize
there's consequences to that action." Chuck Todd then
asked Giffords if "in fairness, campaign rhetoric and
war rhetoric have been interchangeable for years." She
responded that colleagues who had been in the House
"20, 30 years" had never seen vitriol this bad. But
Todd moved on, and so did the Beltway. What's the big
deal about a little broken glass? Few wanted to see
what Giffords saw - that the vandalism and death
threats were the latest consequences of a tide of ugly
insurrectionism that had been rising since the final
weeks of the 2008 campaign and that had threatened to
turn violent from the start. '

Columnist Frank Rich
New York Times
January 16, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/4p8sgsj

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4v4vpje
Plead Insanity
Mike Luckovich

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
January 17, 2011

'How much help Tunisia will get from the very
governments who, until the dying moments of the old
regime, gave Ben Ali the cover and support he needed,
also remains an open question. The prize for brazen
hypocrisy goes to President Nicolas Sarkozy who
declared, through clenched teeth, that France stood
shoulder to shoulder with the Tunisian people. Do,
please, forget the speech his foreign minister Michèle
Alliot-Marie made in the National Assembly, shortly
after the authorities in Tunis announced the deaths of
21 civilians killed by police bullets. The one in which
she offered Tunisia the help of the French riot police.

'America and the EU, for whom Tunisia is a major
trading partner, follow close behind. The nature of the
Faustian pact that the US has with the Arab
dictatorships was revealed all too clearly by
WikiLeaks. US ambassador Robert Godec's unflattering
description of the corruption of the Ben Ali family
contained the following judgment: "Notwithstanding the
frustrations of doing business here, we cannot write
off Tunisia. We have too much at stake. We have an
interest in preventing al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb
and other extremist groups from establishing a foothold
here. The United States needs help in this region to
promote our values and policies. Tunisia is one place
where, in time, we might find it." If the US and the EU
want to get on the right side of democracy in the
Middle East, now is an opportunity to do it, and
Tunisia is a good place to start.'

Editorial
Guardian (UK)
January 17, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/4mkcvpe

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4pw3kcx
Some Ice Cream?
David Horey - Seattle PI

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
January 18, 2011

'On the streets Monday, protesters called for the
complete eradication of the old ruling party, while
complaining that outlawed parties like the once
powerful Islamist groups or the Tunisian Communists -
battle-scarred stalwarts of the long dissident fight
against Mr. Ben Ali's 23-year-rule - were still barred
from participating.

'"Nothing has changed," said Mohamed Cherni, 47, a
teacher who said he had been tortured by Mr. Ben Ali's
police force. "It is still the same regime as before,
and so we are going to keep fighting."'

New York Times
January 18, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/5up3vw2

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/6guuo9d
Facebook Friends
Nick Anderson

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
January 19, 2011

'Finally, the people were heard. Last week, Ben Ali
fled the country, and Prime Minister Mohammad
Ghannouchi took over, promising constitutional, social,
and economic reforms.

'King, the Nobel Peace Prize winner, would of course
have decried the violence. But the fact that the
humiliation of a humbled young unemployed man could
rivet a nation and now the world speaks to his final
speech, given in support of striking sanitation workers
in Memphis. It speaks back to 1956, when he gave his
speech in Montgomery, Alabama, saying, "There comes a
time when people get tired. There comes a time when
people get tired of being trampled over by the iron
feet of oppression. There comes a time when people get
tired of being plunged across the abyss of exploitation
where they experience the bleakness of nagging
despair''.'

Columnist Derrick Z. Jackson
on events in Tunisia and
Dr. Marin Luther King, Jr.
Boston Globe
January 18, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/4j85pw3

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/46x7prr
Isolated Incident
Tom Tomorrow- Salon

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
January 20, 2010

'We have a for-profit health care system, where
$800,000,000,000 every year is spent on corporate
profits, stock options, executive salaries,
advertising, marketing and the cost of paperwork.

'In the for-profit system that we have, nearly one out
of every three health care dollars goes for things not
related to health care.  If we took that
$800,000,000,000 and spent it on care for people, we'd
have enough money to cover all medically necessary
needs in addition to dental care, vision care, mental
health care, prescription drugs and long-term care.

'We would not have a situation where 50 million
Americans don't have any health insurance.  Americans
would not have to worry about losing everything they
have worked a lifetime for because they have an illness
in the family.

'This debate is the wrong debate.  A for-profit model
is the wrong model.  We should be talking about
universal health care, single-payer not-for-profit
health care, Medicare for All, quality health care for
all Americans."

Dennis Kucinich, a co-author of Medicare for All,
H.R. 676, in the 111th Congress.  The bill is expected
to be reintroduced in the 112th Congress.

January 19, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/4fv6pye

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/4a8so6g
Retirement Party
Mike Luckovich

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
January 21, 2011

"The moment is fast approaching when the university
will no longer be able to guarantee admission to all
California applicants who meet the eligibility
criteria.

[It will be] 'a bleak milestone, not just for the
university, but for all of California.'

University of California
President Mark Yudo,
estimating that 20,000 to
30,000 qualified students
will be turned away because
UC won't have the money to
educate them.

San Francisco Chronicle
January 20, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/48qqgtj

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/67jf5mm
Our Reputation
Dan Wasserman - Boston Globe

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
January 22, 2011

'Hampstead Heath, in leafy north London, is proud of
its walk-on part in the history of Marxism. It was
here, on a Sunday, that Karl Marx would walk his family
up Parliament Hill, reciting Shakespeare and Schiller
along the way, for an afternoon of picnics and poetry.
On a weekday, he would join his friend Friedrich
Engels, who lived close by, for a brisk hike around the
heath, where the "old Londoners", as they were known,
mulled over the Paris Commune, the Second International
and the nature of capitalism.

'Today, on a side road leading off from the heath, the
Marxist ambition remains alive in the house of Eric
Hobsbawm. Born in 1917 (in Alexandria, under the
British protectorate of Egypt), more than 20 years
after both Marx and Engels had died, he knew neither
man personally, of course. But talking to Eric in his
airy front room, filled with family photos, academic
honours and a lifetime of cultural objects, there is an
almost tangible sense of connection to the men and
their memory.'

Tristram Hunt
The Observor (UK)
January 16, 2010