Print

Trumka: `We're Going to Rebuild America With Jobs'

(Two Takes)

(1)

By James Parks
AFL-CIO Blog
August 13, 2010

http://blog.aflcio.org/2010/08/13/trumka-were-going-to-rebuild-america-with-jobs/

 In the political showdown between Wall Street and Main
 Street, California is a key battleground. With the
 third highest jobless rate in the country and a
 towering budget deficit, California needs leaders who
 can create and save jobs, not just spout  "more of the
 same corporate bull," AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka
 told a crowd of thousands at a mass jobs rally in Los
 Angeles today.

    "How are we going to rebuild America? With jobs!
    Who's going to rebuild America? Working people with
    jobs!"

The choice for voters is clear in California, said Art
Pulaski, executive secretary-treasurer of the California
Labor Federation. The Republican candidates for governor
and U.S. senator, respectively, Meg Whitman and Carly
Fiorina, are mirror images of each other.

    Both are failed CEOs. Both slashed thousands of jobs
    to make themselves richer. And both have a dangerous
    agenda that will douse any hope for economic
    recovery. They want to slash jobs. Eliminate
    pensions. Scale back overtime pay and meal breaks
    for workers. They're part of the greed is good
    crowd. I think it's pretty clear that's the wrong
    direction.

It is crazy that Wall Street would destroy our economy
and rob us of millions of jobs, Trumka said, and the
Republican response is: "Great! How about more of the
same?"

    We're done with that kind of deal for America.

Delegates to the Letter Carriers (NALC) convention,
meeting in nearby Anaheim, joined the rally along with
union members from the building trades, public employees
and other trades to send a strong message: "Paychecks
Pay the Bills."

Participants carried signs highlighting the need for
jobs as the top answer to the economic crisis and to
push for the 30/10 Initiative to build 30 year's worth
of mass transit in the next 10 years.

They also called for the U.S. Postal Service to continue
six-day mail delivery and keep thousands of postal jobs
and for more money for public safety, schools, mass
transit and health care.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa (D), NALC
President Fredric Rolando, Maria Elena Durazo, executive
secretary-treasurer of the Los Angeles County Federation
of Labor and community and labor leaders also spoke at
the rally in front of city hall

(2)

Union Members Hold Job Rally at L.A. City Hall

Battling back against the tough economic times,
thousands of union members swarmed outside Los Angeles
City Hall on Friday, calling on city leaders and
politicians to save jobs, create more work and stop
outsourcing.

"Today is a national call for good jobs now," said Maria
Elena Durazo, executive secretary-treasurer of the Los
Angeles County Federation of Labor.

"It starts in L.A., but it's going to make its way all
across the United States of America."

Daily Breeze
August 14, 2010

More at: