Tidbits - July 23, 2010

* Re: Collaboration Power: How Are Unions and Educators
  Joining Forces? (Debby D'Amico)
* Re: Detailing the Unspoken Truths of a Deadly Relationship
  in Readers Responses: July 20, 2010 (T.M. Scruggs)
* Re:  Support for Locked-Out Port of Montreal Workers
  (Marsha Niemeijer)
* A NYC EVENT NOT TO BE MISSED == Get on board and
  help send a U.S. Boat to Gaza (August 5, 2010)
* Re: A cry of appreciation from the wilderness (Jesse C.
  Crawford)
* Re: Howard Zinn's The Bomb (Jack Radey)

==========

* Re: Collaboration Power: How Are Unions and Educators
Joining Forces?

On behalf of the Murphy Institute of CUNY, I am responding
to the question of labor-education collaborations, and to
the specific reference to City University in Greenwald's
piece on how unions and educators are joining forces.

The Institute is named for Joseph S. Murphy, a former
Chancellor of CUNY who was both a friend to labor and a
strong advocate for worker education at the University.  The
Institute carries on Murphy's tradition.  Formerly the
Queens College Worker Education program and Labor Resource
Center, we became a CUNY-wide Institute in 2005.  As such,
we continue our 25 year history in both worker education and
labor solidarity.  Our mission is two fold: to expand higher
education opportunities for working adult students and to
serve as a resource for labor, academics and community
advocates seeking pathways to a more just society.

We are proud to offer CUNY's first Masters degree in Labor
Studies, through the School of Professional Studies.  Our
faculty include the nation's finest labor scholars and
practitioners, such as Ruth Milkman and Ed Ott.  We also
offer Union Semester, which offers a full semester of both
labor courses and experience working with unions to college
students from all over the country.

Our Worker Education programs include career and work-
related programs for a wide range of unions, including CWA
Local 1180, TWU Local 100, the NYC District Council of
Carpenters, Metal Lathers Local 46, Operating Engineers
Local 94, and many others.  In addition, we provide free
academic support and admissions services to any NYC union
member or worker seeking entry to college.

Through our Center for Labor, Community and Policy Studies,
we hold conferences and conduct research on issues of
concern to labor, and produce the highly regarded journal,
New Labor Forum.  And we regularly host breakfast forums on
issues of vital interest to labor, which draw a diverse
audience of workers, students, activists, academic experts
and union members.

Learn more about us at www.workered.org, where you will find
information about subscribing to New Labor Forum, attending
our breakfasts, or inquiring about our Masters in Labor
Studies, other Urban and Labor Studies certificates and
degree programs, or entry into any college in the City
University system.

Debby D'Amico,
Senior Program Developer,
Murphy Institute, CUNY

==========

* Re: Detailing the Unspoken Truths of a Deadly Relationship
in Readers Responses: July 20, 2010

The collaboration of Israel and South Africa is so well
documented that to publish piece #2 below with no further
comment makes one fear that Portside will become what I've
heard described as a PEP: Progressive Except for Palestine.
Is Portside really going to continue to open up its
subscriber list to reading "starboard-side" interpretations
of Nakba, the ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people
from what is now Israel?  If this is the new position of
Portside's editors, then it makes me, for one, think of
jumping ship.

In solidarity,

T.M. Scruggs
Berkeley, North California

==========

* Re:  Support for Locked-Out Port of Montreal Workers

The Longshore Workers Coalition has sent this letter of
support and solidarity to our Canadian Union of Public
Employees Local 375 longshore brothers and sisters in the
port of Montreal who have been locked out since Monday July
19.

ILA Local 1657-clerks in the Port of Montreal and who have
been effectively locked out too-is supporting CUPE Local
375. The large ILA Local 269 in Halifax confirmed on July 21
that they will not work any ships that are diverted from
Montreal.

For more information about the lockout, read below. To send
your own message of support, email:

Longshore Workers, Bidding to Protect New Hires, Are Locked
Out in Montreal by Mischa Gaus (reprinted from Labor Notes)

Dockers in Montreal were locked out Monday in a dispute over
income security for new workers.

Longshore workers with the Canadian Union of Public
Employees Local 375 have refused to work overtime since July
9, telling their employer to call in more help before
assigning OT. They've worked without a contract since
December 2008.

The Maritime Employers Association responded by locking 910
CUPE members out of work. Another 125 port checkers with
Longshoremen's (ILA) Local 1657 were laid off.

Daniel Tremblay, CUPE Local 375 president, called the
company's moves illegal and reiterated the union's desire to
get back to the table as soon as tomorrow.

"We want to settle this problem the fastest way possible,"
he said, noting that at least five ships are waiting in the
St. Lawrence River.

Tremblay said the dispute rose from the MEA's decision to
hire 65 workers in 2008, anticipating that the global
economic crash wouldn't affect Canada. When shipping volumes
suffered, the larger workforce produced an $11 million
annual cost in guaranteed income for the dockers, $4 million
more than normal.

Now MEA has unilaterally pulled 169 new and part-time
workers out of the guaranteed-income scheme, which
"fundamentally restructures" the contract, he said.

The income guarantee dates to 1970, when the port authority
agreed to pay a steady 36- or 40-hour week to get a more
stable workforce-the inconsistency of work, short notice
before a shift, and constant flux between night and day work
burned out many dockers, Tremblay said.

MEA claims that Montreal is the only port with such a
scheme, but New York has a similar contract provision. The
average annual wage in Montreal is $80,000, Tremblay said.

Because there's still less work now than before the
recession, some members are paid for days when there's no
job, leading the MEA to lash out in the press at "lazy"
longshore workers. But the port crowed about "a vigorous
recovery in most types of bulk cargo" last week. Montreal
handles all types of cargo, from Wal-Mart goods to car parts
to wine, with a sizable share of it destined for factories
and store shelves in the Midwest.

The leadership of the Longshore Workers Coalition, a reform
movement within the ILA, pledged its support to CUPE and ILA
Local 1657, as did the International Transport Workers'
Federation, which called the lockout a "needless
overreaction."

The province of Quebec has legislation that prevents scabs
from taking up jobs, but because the port is under federal
jurisdiction those rules don't apply. Tremblay promised a
"big fight" if port bosses try to import scabs.

He noted that the ILA local in Halifax has offered support
already, and that he's in contact with unions at East Coast
ports that may see ships re-routed from Montreal.

Marsha Niemeijer
Staff Organizer, Longshore Workers' Coalition
104 Montgomery Str
Brooklyn, NY 11225
tel: 718-865-8782
fax: 866-506-6915
www.lwcjustice.org

The LWC is a movement of ILA members and retirees
organizing to build a stronger and more democratic union.

==========

* A NYC EVENT NOT TO BE MISSED ==
Get on board and help send a U.S. Boat to Gaza

THURSDAY AUGUST 5, 2010
THE MARCO POLO MARINA
23rd STREET & FDR DRIVE
BOARDING 7:00 pm  RETURNING 10:30 pm

SPECIAL GUESTS

Chris Hedges  Ann Wright  Najla Said  Ismail Khalidi
  Remi Kanazi  Lamis Deek and More!

Enjoy middle eastern food buffet, cash bar, great people and
inspiring music

==

We will sail in NY harbor as part of our effort to launch
the audacity of hope a U.S. boat to join the next freedom
flotilla in the international effort to break the blockade of Gaza

OUR GOAL IN NYC:
Raise $100,000 of the $370,000 needed to buy and register
the U.S. Boat, secure a crew and send a U.S. Delegation

WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER:
	100 TICKETS AT $25 = $2,500
	50 TICKETS AT $250 = $12,500
	50 TICKETS AT $100 = $5,000
	50 TICKETS AT $500 = $25,000
	100 TICKETS AT $150 = $15,000
	50 TICKETS AT $1,000 = $50,000

WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER:

TO RESERVE YOUR PLACE AND PURCHASE TICKETS:

1.  Email us at [log in to unmask] with the following
information:

    * Your name
    * The number of tickets you wish to purchase and price
    level
    * Your method of payment, either PayPal or by check

2.  Purchase your tickets by going to our website at
www.ustogaza.org and either:

    * Click on the yellow "Donate" button to pay through
    PayPal; or
    * Click on the "Click here" button and follow the instructions
    for paying by check

===

If you can't attend please get on board the U.S. To Gaza
campaign

www.ustogaza.org

Make a contribution and sign on --- all proceeds support the
U.S. To Gaza Campaign

Thank you for your generosity

reservations: [log in to unmask]
info: www.ustogaza.org

==========

* Re: A cry of appreciation from the wilderness

Just in case y'all think you're crying in the
wilderness, I really appreciate the Portside, which
helps me stay at least modestly up to speed. So you've
got one set of ears (really eyes). Thank you for your
work.

Jesse C. Crawford
CEO
Crawford Media Services, Inc.

==========

* Re: Howard Zinn's The Bomb

Zinn is right about almost everything, but he is in
error in at least one regard. Napalm was used in the
Pacific, beginning in the Philippines, in 1944. I
believe it was first used there, so dropping it in
Europe in mid-April, 1945, would not be "testing" it.
The Air Force DID continue to fly missions in France in
1945, against German garrisons still holding out at
coastal fortified ports, although there was no military
reason for doing so. The Allies had no intention of
trying to take the ports (they didn't need them, with
Antwerp and Marseille in their hands and with the war
nearly over) and the German garrisons were no
particular threat to anyone at this point, and their
surrender was assured as soon as Germany surrendered.
The US Navy and Air Corps similarly bombed Japanese-
held islands in the Pacific that had been bypassed and
which no one had any intention of invading until the
war was over. It killed a few more people, but had no
military rationale at all.

Jack Radey

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]