PORTSIDE  June 2012, Week 1

PORTSIDE June 2012, Week 1

After 44 Years, It's Time Brent Musburger Apologized to John Carlos and Tommie Smith

Mon, 4 Jun 2012 21:44:00 -0400

After 44 Years, It's Time Brent Musburger Apologized to
John Carlos and Tommie Smith

by Dave Zirin

The Nation.com Blog

June 4, 2012

http://www.thenation.com/blog/168209/after-44-years-its-time-brent-musburger-apologized-john-carlos-and-tommie-smith

When Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their
black-gloved fists at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics,
they were scorched with scorn across the sports media
landscape. One would have searched in vain for
sympathy, understanding, or even an unbiased recording
of their grievances.

No one asked why two young, world-class athletes would
risk their livelihoods, their reputations, even the
safety of themselves and their families in the name of
protest. Few were interested in examining why anyone
would feel compelled to challenge an International
Olympic Committee that coddled apartheid South Africa
and Rhodesia, didn't hire black officials, or would be
led by an avowed white supremacist and anti-Semite,
Avery Brundage. It was easier to dismiss Carlos and
Smith and misguided souls and be done with them.

In 2012, that frozen, dramatic moment of 1968
resistance is far more likely to be celebrated than
criticized. Smith and Carlos are now routinely lauded
for their bravery and daring. As ESPN proclaimed
bluntly upon giving Smith and Carlos their Arthur Ashe
Courage Award in 2008, "They were right."

No one was saying that in 1968. Amidst the angry
denunciations, there was one column published in the
Chicago American newspaper, that was particularly ugly.
The journalist responsible has never deigned to comment
or explain, let alone apologize, for why he decided
upon the words he chose.  The writer became an iconic
broadcaster who now sits comfortably as the elder
statesman of the sports world. He appears in family
friendly movies like The Waterboy and Cars 2. His name
is Brent Musburger.

In 1968 Musburger was a restless, ambitious young
sports writer looking to make his name. He found his
opportunity when Smith and Carlos made their stand.
Musburger didn't see a demonstration. He saw a target.

"One gets a little tired of having the United States
run down by athletes who are enjoying themselves at the
expense of their country," he wrote. Musburger then
infamously called Smith and Carlos " a pair of black
skinned stormtroopers."

The above quote has been disseminated in books and
articles for years but his full column is a difficult
find. With an assist from Professor Jules Boykoff and
an old-school tool called microfilm,  I found it and if
anything it's even uglier than the above quotes
suggest.  The Headline is "Bizarre Protest By Smith,
Carlos Tarnishes Medals." Despite seeing what they did
as "bizarre," Musburger doesn't once address why Smith
and Carlos did what they did or quote them directly. He
does however find time to mock them repeatedly. He
describes Smith and Carlos as "juvenile", "ignoble,"
and - this actually is bizarre -"unimaginative".
Musburger calls Tommie Smith "the militant black." In
describing a scene of Carlos trying to defend their
actions, Musberger writes, "Perhaps it's time 20 year
old athletes quit passing themselves off as social
philosophers."

And then there are those words that still singe the
eyes: "black skinned stormtroopers." You almost don't
believe it until you read it.

As for the actual stormtrooper-sympathizer, Musburger
refers to Brundage as a kindly old grandfather and with
great affection and addresses him as "Avery". No
mention of course that many of the athletes called him
"Slavery Avery."

To this day, mention Musburger's name to John Carlos
and he grits his teeth. This is particularly
illustrative because Carlos is fond of saying that he
has no hate in his heart toward anyone even after all
the isolation and criticism he endured.  As he is fond
of saying, "Bitterness leads to cancer which leads to
death and I have too much work to do to have time for
any of that." Name a nemesis of his from 1968, like
Jesse Owens or another member of the media and he
responds with a smile and recounts how in private, they
buried the hatchet. But not Musburger.

"We are talking about someone who compared us to Nazis.
Think about that. Here we are standing up to apartheid
and to a man in Avery Brundage who delivered the
Olympics to Hitler's Germany. And here's Musburger
calling us Nazis. That got around. It followed us. It
hurt us. It hurt my wife, my kids. I've never been able
to confront him about why he did this. Every time I've
been at a function or an event with Brent Musburger and
I walk towards him, and he heads the other way."

It's been 44 years. It's time Brent Musberger
apologized for slandering these two young men as
"black-skinned stormtroopers." It's time he apologized
for his absence of journalistic ethics in ignoring
their message and instead obsessing on the color of
their skin. It's time he apologized for making the
lives of John Carlos and Tommie Smith that much harder.
Nearing the end of a distinguished career, he should
address this scar on his legacy. Brent Musburger: the
ball is in your court.

[Dave Zirin is the author of "The John Carlos Story"
(Haymarket). Receive his column every week by emailing
[log in to unmask] Contact him at