PORTSIDE  April 2012, Week 4

PORTSIDE April 2012, Week 4

Two Members of Angola 3: 40 Years in Solitary Confinement

Sun, 22 Apr 2012 23:56:25 -0400

40 Years in Solitary Confinement Two Members of
Angola 3 Remain in Isolation in Louisiana Prison
Amy Goodman
Democracy Now
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
http://www.democracynow.org/2012/4/17/40_years_in_solitary_confinement_two

It's been 40 years to the day - since April 17, 1972, or
14,600 days ago - that Herman Wallace and Albert Woodfox
have been held in solitary confinement in Louisiana. The
state says they were guilty of murdering a guard at
Angola Prison, but Wallace, Woodfox and their network of
supporters say they were framed for their political
activism as members of the Black Panthers. Woodfox and
Wallace founded the Angola chapter of the Black Panther
Party in 1971. A third prisoner, Robert King, joined
them a year later. The three campaigned for better
working conditions and racial solidarity between
inmates, as well as an end to rape and sexual slavery.
Today, to mark the 40th anniversary of their placement
in solitary confinement, Amnesty USA says it will
deliver a petition to Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal that
bears the signatures of tens of thousands of people from
125 countries. We speak to Robert King, who was released
in 2001 when his conviction was overturned and he
pleaded guilty to a lesser offense. "We want the state
of Louisiana and we want the world to know that we are
still focusing on this case. This is a total violation
of human rights and civil rights," King says. "And it is
ongoing."

AMY GOODMAN: It won't receive much attention in the
corporate media, but today marks a four-decade milestone
that critics see as a national shame. It's been 40 years
to the day, April 17th, 1972, or 14,600 days ago, that
Herman Wallace and Albert Woodfox have been held in
solitary confinement in Louisiana. The state says they
were guilty of murdering a guard at Angola Prison, but
Wallace, Woodfox and their network of supporters say
they were framed for their political activism as members
of the Black Panthers.

Woodfox and Wallace founded the Angola chapter of the
Black Panther Party in '71. A third prisoner, Robert
King, joined them a year later. The three campaigned for
better working conditions and racial solidarity between
inmates, as well as an end to rape and sexual slavery.
But their organizing came to a halt after all three were
charged and found guilty of committing murders inside
the prison. King was held for 29 years in solitary
confinement after prison officials framed him for a
different murder. He was finally released in 2001 when
his conviction was overturned. He pleaded guilty to a
lesser offense. Woodfox and Wallace remain behind bars
to this day, despite no physical evidence tying them to
the crime scene and accusations that prison guards
coerced incriminating testimony from other prisoners.

This is how Amnesty International describes their
imprisonment in solitary confinement: quote, "23 hours a
day isolated in a small cell, four steps long, three
steps across. Three times a week for exercise in an
outdoor cage, weather permitting. A few hours every week
to shower or simply walk. Rare, fleeting human contact
with prison guards, let alone with family. No human
being deserves this," Amnesty wrote.

In recent years, Woodfox has won appeals overturning his
conviction, only to see those rulings reversed. But the
struggle for justice in the Angola 3 case continues.
Today, to mark this 40-year anniversary of their
placement in solitary confinement, Amnesty International
says it will deliver a petition to Louisiana Governor
Bobby Jindal that bears the signatures of tens of
thousands of people from 125 countries.

We're going right now to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where
we're joined by two guests. Robert King, the only freed
member of the Angola 3, he was released in 2001. He had
spent 31 years in prison, 29 in solitary confinement.
And we're joined by Everette Thompson, Southern regional
director with Amnesty International USA. They're joining
us from the studios of Louisiana Public Broadcasting in
Baton Rouge.

We welcome you both to Democracy Now! Robert King, the
significance of this day, in solitary for 40 years
today?

ROBERT KING: Yes. Thank you, Amy. We're proud to be
here. Thanks for having us.

And, yes, this day, April the 17, mark 40 years in which
Albert and Herman has been held in Louisiana State
Prison at Angola in solitary confinement in a cell, six
by nine by 12, for 40 years. And beyond today, we'll be
counting. And so, this day mark-it's significant,
because it's 40 years, and we want the state of
Louisiana and we want the world to know that we are
still focusing on this case. This is a total violation
of human rights and civil rights, and it is ongoing. And
we are commemorating this, and we want to make sure
that, again, that the public officials here understand
that we'll continue to make sure that this case stays
out-

AMY GOODMAN: I want to-

ROBERT KING: -in front of the public, because public
opinion matters.

AMY GOODMAN: I want to go to an excerpt of Herman
Wallace speaking in a recording he made by telephone
describing his prison cell.

HERMAN WALLACE: You know, where we stay, we're usually
in the cell for 23 hours, you know, and an hour out. I'm
not "out." I may come out of the hole here, but I'm
still locked up on that unit. I'm locked up. I can't get
around that. Anywhere I go, I have to be in chains. I
mean, chains has become a part of my-my existence. And
that's one of the things that, you know, I think people
have to fully understand. But understanding it is one
thing, but experiencing it is quite another.

AMY GOODMAN: That was Herman Wallace, in solitary
confinement today for 40 years. Everette Thompson, why
is Amnesty International involved with this case?

EVERETTE THOMPSON: Yeah, thank you again, Amy Goodman,
for inviting us here, and it's truly an honor to be here
for Angola 3 to lift up human rights.

Amnesty International believes that solitary confinement
should only be used in the most extreme cases. And when
we look at Albert and Herman, they have spent over
14,500 days in solitary confinement-four decades. Truly,
this is cruel, this is inhumane, and this is degrading.
This is not uplifting human rights of any person. And we
believe that human rights is-you know, is for everyone.
It doesn't end if you're in prison. It doesn't end if
you're on a playground. But everywhere you exist, your
human rights should be carried with you. This is a true
violation of their human rights.

AMY GOODMAN: Robert King, explain how you came to be
known as the Angola 3. You're the only one of the three
who is out of prison right now.

ROBERT KING: Yes. Well, we became known as the Angola 3
actually because of a former comrade and friend, Malik
Rahim. He was a former member of the Black Panther Party
who remembered that, after three decades, we were still
in prison. And so, what he did was form a group. He went
to some former Panthers and activists and decided to
form a support group. And from the support group, the
name derived. We were connected, because we were all
members of the Black Panther Party. We did not have the
same charges. We went to prison on different charges.

And after we got the support and after, you know, people
came on board, they decided that we would be known as
the Angola 3, because it was designated by the state
officials that we would be held in solitary confinement
throughout our period in Angola. If that meant the rest
of our life, so be it. And because of this and the group
felt that Angola tabbed us-they dubbed us, because of
our belief, because of our political belief. And as you
pointed out, Herman and Albert and other folks
recognized the violation of human rights in prison, and
they were trying to achieve a better prison and living
conditions. And as a result of that, they were targeted.
But we became known as a result of-we didn't name
ourselves, and we did not have the-we weren't charged,
we did not go to court at the same time, but we were
dubbed, you know, Angola 3. The name stuck, and-

AMY GOODMAN: Well, Robert, while they are in solitary
confinement now for 40 years, you were in solitary
confinement for almost 30, for 29 years. Describe that
experience. What does that mean?

ROBERT KING: Well, I can tell you, Amy, as I've
described in former writings and-being in solitary
confinement is not-is not easy. If the soul cry, if you
could hear the soul cry, you know, if you're in that
type of condition, you can feel it. You can hear the
soul cry, or know literal tears. You're in a position
and a condition, circumstances that you will never be
released from. And like Herman described, everywhere you
go, you're bound, you're in chains, you're in a cell,
six by nine by 12. There is not much-there's not much
room. You have to become acclimated to short distances.
And, you know, there are lots of things, you know,
thoughts that you can have, because you have lots of
time. And I think your thoughts are the thoughts about
your condition, about all that you have. They don't have
much other accommodation in prison, because the bare
minimum, the necessities, you don't have that.

AMY GOODMAN: Everette Thompson, does Amnesty
International consider the Angola 2 now, because Robert
King is out, Herman Wallace and Albert Woodfox,
political prisoners?

EVERETTE THOMPSON: We consider-we consider Angola 3 and
Angola 2 as individual at risk. We are very-we're deeply
concerned with everything that is happening to them,
particularly their violation of human rights and the use
of solitary confinement in their case. We have continued
to monitor this case for years. They have been a part of
the Amnesty International case dossiers for a long time.
And we are committed to fighting for justice in this
case and to make sure that Albert and Herman are
released from solitary confinement and that Governor
Jindal continue to look at this and examine what is
happening in their case and be on the right side of
justice.

AMY GOODMAN: What is the rationale for them being in
solitary confinement for 40 years?

ROBERT KING: Actually, Amy, there is really no
rationale. I think the rationale comes with the attorney
general, the state's attorney general. As has been
pointed out and you must know, that this case has been-
Albert Woodfox's case has been overturned twice. Herman
Wallace's case has been recommended to be overturned
twice. There are judges that have-state judges that have
overturned Herman's case. There is no rationale for
being held in solitary confinement. Of course, the
warden of the state of Louisiana, Angola State Prison,
has asserted on many occasions, in deposition, to quote,
that Albert Woodfox is allegedly "one of the most
dangerous men in the world." Of course, Albert Woodfox
has been in solitary confinement for 40 years now. The
write-ups are minimum. The last time Albert Woodfox had
a write-up probably was 25 years ago, if that. Or no
disciplinary records at all, is exemplary. And yet and
still, they're still being held in solitary-like
conditions in prison. And there is no rationale, no
logical rationale, no logical or penological reason why
they should be held in solitary confinement-or, for that
matter, in prison. This is a double whammy. We are
dealing with a double whammy here. We are not just
focusing on Herman's and Albert's civil or human rights
violation, but there is question also as to whether or
not they committed this crime. All the evidence has been
undermined in this case. And they are still being held,
you know, irrationally, in solitary confinement.

AMY GOODMAN: To coincide-

EVERETTE THOMPSON: And I'd like to add, I mean, even-
even with Herman and Albert, in 1996, Louisiana did
prison policy reform, and it stated that there-that you
can no longer use the original cause for lockdown as a
way to keep people in solitary confinement. What we have
noticed with Albert and in Herman's case, that each time
they come up for review to released from solitary
confinement, they get stamped right back. They cannot be
released from solitary confinement, because of original
cause of lockdown. And that is a violation of their own
policy that Louisiana has actually implemented, never
mind the fact that this violates international covenant
on civil and political rights as well as the U.N.
Convention Against Torture. This is a clear, a grave
abuse of human rights, and happening with Albert and
Herman right now.

AMY GOODMAN: To coincide with the 40th anniversary, a
new documentary is being released on the Angola 3 called
Herman's House. It's based on phone conversations with
Herman Wallace documenting and reflecting on his life in
solitary confinement. In this clip, he works with a
group of architects to draw up plans for a house for him
to live in, only in his mind. This is Herman Wallace
describing that house.

HERMAN WALLACE: Jackie, in your letter, you asked me,
what sort of house does a man who lives in a six-foot-
by-nine-foot cell dream of? In the front of the house, I
have three squares of gardens. The gardens are the
easiest for me to imagine, and I can see they would be
certain to be full of gardenias, carnations and tulips.
This is of the utmost importance. I would like for
guests to be able to smile and walk through flowers all
year long. On the wall shared with the kitchen is the
wall of revolutionary fame. I would like to see three to
five portraits with these revolutionaries, such as
Gabriel Prosser, Denmark Vesey, Nat Turner, John Brown
and, of course, Harriet Tubman. Into the upstairs master
bedroom, there is a king-size bed, African art and
mirrored ceilings. There is a door leading from the
master bedroom to the master bathroom, with a six-foot-
by-nine-foot hot tub. The cell I presently live in is
but six feet by eight feet.

AMY GOODMAN: That was Herman Wallace, a new documentary
about the Angola 3. I want to thank Everette Thompson of
Amnesty International USA and Robert King for joining us
from Louisiana Public Broadcasting. Herman Wallace and
Albert Woodfox have been in solitary confinement today,
April 17th, for 40 years.