Monospaced Font

PORTSIDE  January 2012, Week 1

PORTSIDE January 2012, Week 1

Tidbits & Reader Response

Sat, 7 Jan 2012 20:44:40 -0500

Tidbits - January 7, 2012

- Support Call for NYC Transit Workers
- Seniors in Walkers Shut Down Local Bank
- Re: Obama's Ominous Arming of Despots in the Gulf (John
   Case)
- Re: Ron Paul's Strange Bedfellows (Pam Martens, Bill
   Shortell, Gordon Fitch)
- Why I won't vote for Obama in November (Robert Meeropol)
- It's Not a Tax Cut. It's Your Pension (Steve Max and
   Daniele Gerard)

==========

THIS IS IT! The Transport Workers Union (TWU) Local 100
will have its final rally before their contract with the
MTA expires at midnight on January 15th. If you have not
been able to attend past solidarity marches or rallies,
this is the one we desperately need your support on. If
you have been to past events, let's go out with a bang!

TWU Local 100 would like to have you join them and their
members across from the Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers,
811 7th Avenue at 53rd Street, Sunday, January 15th,
6:00-8:00pm. The evening will begin with a candle lighting
vigil tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. lead by the
well respected Rev. Al Sharpton along with a voter
registration drive and finish with a show of support by
labor and community leaders as the contract between TWU
Local 100 and the MTA comes to an end.Local 100, the
largest local of the Transport Workers Union of America,
represents virtually all public transportation employees,
as well as, other private transportation lines, paratransit
and school bus companies. These workers need to know that
their local leaders and groups are supporting them as they
fight for a fair contract!

http://www.twulocal100.org/event/rally-remembrance

=========

Occupy Geriatrics:

Seniors in Walkers Shut Down Local Bank of America

By Erin Sherbert
S.F. Weekly
January 6, 2012

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2012/01/occupy_geriatrics_seniors_in_w.php

What some healthy and spry Occupy Movements across the
nation couldn't quite accomplish, San Francisco
geriatrics have!

KCBS reports that a small group of senior citizens
between the ages of 69 and 82 successfully shut down a
Bank of America in Bernal Heights on Thursday with
nothing more than walkers and oxygen tanks. That's
right: No shouting, chanting, tear gas, or window-
smashing.

The group, which dubbed itself "Wild Old Women" set up
camp right outside the BofA, holding signs in what they
were calling "a run on the bank."

While the protesters said they had no intention (or
oxygen) of storming the bank, as occupiers in other
communities have done, officials at Bank of America
shut the doors and locked them as they spotted the
slow-moving group make its way to the front of the
bank.

So the seniors took a seat outside the bank where they
explained their demands, which were no different than
every other occupiers: They want lower fees, and they
want the bank to pay higher taxes and stop the
foreclosures.

"We're upset about what the banks are doing,
particularly in our neighborhood and neighboring areas,
in evicting people and foreclosing on their homes," 80-
year-old Tita Caldwell told KCBS reporters. "We're
upset because the banks are raising their rates,
because it really affects seniors who are on a fixed
income."

And that's just no way to spend your Golden Years.

==========

- Re: Obama's Ominous Arming of Despots in the Gulf

No one writing on the Left has higher journalistic
standards, or does his homework better, than Carl Bloice.
His exposure in this article of US' inexplicable arming of
various Gulf nations -- several of whom are at odds with
each other AND democratic values -- is a fine example of
this.

Carl is always quite professional in allowing his selected
quotes to draw his inferences and implications for him.
Nonetheless, I take partial exception to two:

1. Using the chaos in Iraq following US troop withdrawal to
infer equivalence between the Bush and Obama policies on
Iraq makes no sense to me.

2. There are important and obvious contrasts between the
Obama and Bush approach toward Egypt, Arab spring in
general, AND Iran --- none of them are given any weight in
the article. Maybe they are not BIG enough in some abstract
'anti-imperialist' sense, but they are important in opening
the door to more genuinely democratic revolutions in the
Middle east.

John Case

==========

- Re: Ron Paul's Strange Bedfellows

Katha did a big public service with this piece. The game
plan is likely for the Kochs and their minions to keep Paul
alive as a candidate to drain votes from Obama and tip the
scale to their real man -- whoever that may be.

Gary Weiss, one of the all time best investigative reporters
on Wall Street, has a book on Ayn Rand coming out next
month. I'm sure he connects a lot of dots.

Pam Martens

===

FINALLY, a thorough unmasking of Ron Paul, including the
irresponsible, narrow-readers, who found in Him some kind of
Savior. Please pass this fine piece around widely, and tell
anybody who ever says a positive syllable about Ron Paul: NO
MAS!

It has one glaring flaw. She has been caught in the web of
hysteria about the NDAA. There is nothing in the law about
indefinite detention at all. Read the law, especially
Section 1031, where the offensive language is supposed to
be.

Then read the signing statement and the fine analysis in
www.lawfareblog.com

It is time to start rolling back fascistic police
departments, now that Osama is dead and the occupation of
Afghanistan seems to be winding down. We didn't need them,
anyway. Now they are being used on peaceful protesters,
trying to point the way out of our economic crisis.

This last goal, however, is no excuse for inaccuracy on the
NDAA, which is surprising in Pollitt's piece, otherwise so
well researched.

Bill Shortell

===

    Salon's Glenn Greenwald is so outraged that
    progressives haven't abandoned the warmongering,
    drone-sending, indefinite-detention- supporting
    Obama for Paul that he accuses them of supporting
    the murder of Muslim children. ....

That just isn't so. The panic about Paul on the part of
Establishment progressives, as evidenced by this sort of
mistake (or lie) is really impressive.

But -- as Greenwald noted -- lesser-evillist progressives
might have to put destroying Medicare on one side of the
balance and stopping the wars and the imperialism on the
other. Which will kill more? It's not immediately obvious
-- and it's a really important question, if you think
killing people is important, that is.

That progressives don't think they have an anti-war
progressive is also very impressive. Why not ask why that
is, instead of carrying on about a marginal character like
Ron Paul?

Gordon Fitch

==========

- Why I won't vote for Obama in November

Robert Meeropol
Rosenberg Fund for Children
http://www.rfc.org/blog/article/1083

I have no intention of voting for Obama in November. Based
on what I've learned about environmental sustainability and
the military industrial complex, as well as a series of
discussions I've had with my wife, Elli, about this over the
last year, I've come to understand that:

1. We are careening towards a series of environmental
catastrophes in the next 50 years which will substantially
diminish our planet's ability to support human and many
other forms of life. These disasters we face are likely to
cut the productive power of the planet by more than a factor
of ten. (Deep Green Resistance, Aric McBay & Lierre Keith,
Seven Stories Press, 2011, Pp 207-211.)

2. The United States military is the largest single source
of pollution on the planet. The military is exempt from
environmental regulation. Tightening clean water and air
regulations is fine, but it will accomplish relatively
little if the military is not subject to these limits. The
demands of maintaining our empire pose the greatest
environmental threat to the earth. (The Green Zone: The
Environmental Costs of Militarism, Barry Sanders, A.K.Press,
2009)

3. In order to prevent the looming planetary climate
disaster, environmental reality must take precedence over
our military and security concerns. This shift will never
take place unless we pull back from our empire and dismantle
the military industrial complex.

4. President Obama will do neither because he is a
defender of our empire and allied with the military
industrial complex.

The next few generations face grave danger from drastic
climate change and resource depletion. Right now there are
seven billion people living on the planet. According to the
authors of Deep Green Resistance and other leading
environmental scientists, this number is already well beyond
the sustainable carrying capacity of the planet. I suspect
many of those reading this will discount this last sentence,
but I fear such rejection stems from wishful thinking rather
than informed analysis.

This isn't just about politics, it is intensely personal.
My granddaughter was born in 2008. If this analysis is
correct, the lives of over 90% of her generation will be
jeopardized if we maintain the current primacy of the
military industrial complex.

Even if Obama appoints better Supreme Court Justices, halts
the tar sands pipeline, and extends unemployment benefits,
four more years of unfettered domination by the military
machine trumps it all. Nothing in President Obama's record
indicates that he will deviate from the dictates of empire.
How could I possibly vote for someone to run the country
whose policy priorities place my granddaughter's life, as
well as those of your children and grandchildren, in such
danger? Given this reality, it is of little consequence to
me if the Republican alternative is worse.

This does not mean that I am "dropping out." I intend to
vote for a third party alternative candidate in November,
and will continue to support and work for progressive
causes. I wish I had more answers. I won't give up groping
for them, however, since I know that four more years of
Obama will just bring us closer to disaster even if the
Republicans would get us there even quicker.

I'm standing outside the two-party system because neither
Democrats nor Republicans will challenge the military
industrial complex and take on the direst threat to us all.
I hope it isn't too late, and I will act as if it is not
even if it might be, because despair serves no one. The
last year has demonstrated the rapidity with which masses of
people can transform the debate, become ungovernable, and
even bring hope of a new world order. These developments
are cause for optimism.

Our generation took on the military industrial complex
during the war in Vietnam. We were the first to recognize
the threat to our world's environment. We held the first
"Earth Day." Now, young people all over the world are
taking action. It is their turn to direct the path of this
new endeavor to revolutionize our priorities. An innovative
effort to change the world is underway and it is time for
all of us who care about peace, social justice and our
environment to get re-engaged. Whether it be organizing or
third party activities, I hope we won't waste this
opportunity by working, contributing or voting for Obama
when there are so many better things to do with our time and
money.

[Robert Meeropol is the younger son of Ethel and Julius
Rosenberg. In 1953, when he was six years old, the United
States Government executed his parents for "conspiring to
steal the secret of the atomic bomb." Since 1990 he has
served as the Executive Director of the Rosenberg Fund for
Children (www.rfc.org), a non-profit, public foundation that
provides for the educational and emotional needs of both
targeted activist youth and children in this country whose
parents have been harassed, injured, jailed, lost jobs or
died in the course of their progressive activities.]

==========

- It's Not a Tax Cut. It's Your Pension.

by Steve Max and Daniele Gerard

[Note: this originally appeared in the newsletter of the
Three Parks Independent Democrats, on the Upper West Side in
Manhattan, NY]

The payroll tax cut has been extended for two months with
both the President and Newt Gingrich wishing it had been a
full year. (The original Obama proposal was for a full year
with the cut both increased and extended to employers.) In
truth, this is not a tax cut, anymore than the payroll tax
is really a tax. The payroll tax is your and your employer's
contribution to your pension plan, Social Security. A
pension contribution isn't a tax; it is actually a form of
savings.

Now, less of your and everyone else's paycheck will go to
the pension - so much less that the pension plan will become
insolvent if this continues. But, "don't worry," we are
told: Congress will borrow money from China and fully repay
Social Security for everything it will lose. This part is
probably true; it is the law, at least for now. But, we know
what this leads to because we have seen it said of every
public and many corporate pension plans: "Sorry, we can no
longer afford those generous benefits." If Social Security
is changed from a self-funding plan to one that has to be
subsidized from general tax revenue, benefit cuts are
inevitable.

Now that the Administration and Congress have succeeded in
their quest for a Pyrrhic political victory, what do the
Democrats plan to do to rescue Social Security from the
plunder they have wrought? The payroll tax cut is an obvious
method of causing Social Security, for the first time in its
history, not only to contribute to the deficit, but also to
raise the national debt, bringing us closer to the dreaded
debt ceiling that the President just got Congressional
Republicans to agree to raise in exchange for huge cuts in
Medicare.

Little notice was given to the section of the payroll tax
cut bill that puts the Keystone Pipeline back on the table.
The Administration was about to approve the pipeline when
mass demonstrations and arrests, including those of Three
Parks board members Erl Kimmich and Merle McEldowney, showed
how much support it would cost Obama in 2012. In November,
Obama wisely announced that a pipeline decision would not be
made until 2013. The "Tax Cut" bill now requires a decision
in 60 days. If the President does not declare that the
pipeline "would not serve the national interest," the law
says, it is automatically approved at the federal level. If
the President decides that the pipeline is not in the
national interest, he is required to write a report
explaining why. This provision gives him very little wiggle
room and is designed to either get the pipeline through or
give the Republicans a document to use as a campaign issue.

In order to discipline progressive Democrats opposed to
damaging Social Security, the Administration attached the
extension of unemployment benefits to the bill. It appears
that, in a similar move, the Republicans brought in the
pipeline to appeal to their far right. It worked. Has Obama
outsmarted himself again?

So what's next? The same amount of stimulus allegedly
provided by the payroll tax cut can easily be created, as it
has been in the past, by cutting the income tax for middle-
income people and by making a payment similar to the earned
income tax credit to lower-income people. Will the
Administration and Congress do this in 2012 - and restore
Social Security contributions to their usual level? Will
they raise the cap on income subject to Social Security
taxes to include salaries above the current cap, $106,800?
Above $250,000, as proposed by Representative DeFazio (D-
Ore.)?

What is the Democrats' plan to strengthen and preserve this
vital social program that keeps tens of millions of
Americans out of poverty each year? Do they have one? FDR's
goal was to protect Social Security from political whim: "We
put those payroll contributions there so as to give the
contributors a legal, moral, and political right to collect
their pensions . . . . With those taxes in there, no damn
politician can ever scrap my social security program."

He must be must be spinning in his grave.