West Coast Port Shutdown

Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Dec 2011 23:04:53 -0500

West Coast Port Shutdown

(1) West Coast Port Shutdown, Labor Notes
(2) An Open Letter from America's Port Truck Drivers

(1)
West Coast Port Shutdown Sparks Heated Debate between
Unions, Occupy
by Evan Rohar
Labor Notes
December 12, 2011

http://labornotes.org/print/2011/12/west-coast-port-shutdown-sparks-heated-debate-between-unions-occupy

For the second time in a month, the Occupy movement
called for mass action to shut down port operations.
This time, the occupiers targeted the entire West
Coast.

The Occupy Oakland General Assembly unanimously adopted
a proposal November 18 calling for the "blockade and
disruption of the economic apparatus of the 1% with a
coordinated shutdown of ports on the entire West Coast
on December 12." (General assemblies are meetings, open
to all, that make decisions for Occupy groups, using
consensus.)

The motion declares solidarity with Longshore Union
(ILWU) members in Longview, Washington, in their
struggle against grain terminal operator EGT. The
company has refused to hire ILWU members and is now in
a drawn-out battle that could shape the future of the
4,000 union members who work the Pacific Northwest's
grain elevators.

Occupiers planned the shutdown without consulting with
the union, and the ILWU put out a statement December 6
to its members and supporters disclaiming support for
the action and claiming its prerogative in the fight
against EGT. "The ILWU has a long history of
democracy," wrote ILWU President Bob McElrath. "Part of
that historic democracy is the hard-won right to chart
our own course to victory."

Members of the Occupy movement interpreted the union's
distancing itself as, at best, a legal safeguard
against the fines that could result from a work
stoppage that violates the contract's strike bar. At
worst, they saw it as a product of the union movement's
timidity, born of decades of retreat and identification
with employer interests.

ILWU members and officials expressed alarm at how the
port shutdown was called and questioned why the Occupy
movements called for action without consulting the
people that action would affect most.

Occupy spokespeople responded that they reached out to
union members after the shutdown call was made. Kari
Koch of Occupy Portland said they have been flyering at
shift changes at the port for a week. "We would not be
doing this action if we didn't have any support from
the rank and file," Koch said.

But occupiers didn't call ILWU Local 8 there, she said.
(They sent an email.) Occupiers were worried the local
could be legally liable if it coordinated with
protesters.

Huge numbers showed up at the gates this morning in
Oakland and shut three port gates. Occupiers, who plan
to disrupt the afternoon shift as well, reported no
animosity from ILWU members and port truckers.

While it's certainly the case that the union movement
needs a kick in the pants, and the occupiers have done
a lot to aim the shoe, ILWU members and officers say
democracy in movements-union and Occupy alike-means
giving say to the people affected, not assuming their
participation or support because an action is just.

But Mike Parker, a retired UAW activist in the Bay Area
and co-author of Democracy Is Power, said most strikes
are inconvenient for someone, including other workers.
Their success relies on all workers affected by an
action honoring the line, whether or not they felt
appropriately warned.

Other unionists involved in the occupy movement say the
ILWU should recognize the need for tactical
flexibility.

"The Occupy movement is simply taking from labor
history," said Robbie Donohoe, an Electrical Workers
member who has been active in organizing for the
shutdown. "We're making it safer for workers to
challenge the boundaries of laws that were created to
secure the reins of power firmly in the hands of the
1%."

HERE WE GO

Regardless of whether ILWU leaders support the
shutdown, union and community members have done person-
to-person outreach to make it succeed.

The Oakland Education Association's executive board
backed the call; President Betty Olsen Jones has been
leaftleting port truckers at 6 a.m. along with
occupiers and union activists.

A largely immigrant workforce of "independent
contractors" that move cargo in and out of the ports,
the truckers are legally prevented from unionizing.
Some criticized the November 2 port shutdown in Oakland
because the truckers were unprepared for the huge march
that succeeded in shutting down the port, which trapped
many of them for hours. Lacking a union, they have few
structures to appeal to for support.

Anthony Levierge of the Bay Area's ILWU Local 10 and a
half-dozen active rank and filers have been passing out
flyers and explaining the rationale for the shutdown to
fellow members. "It's been a mixed bag of attitudes,"
he said, adding that he believed members would "honor
the history and legacy of social justice unionism that
ILWU members have fought hard for."

The West Coast longshore union has a history of
honoring community picket lines for good causes, but
the question of how those actions are decided-and
actually brought to bear against multinational
employers who move billions of dollars of goods through
the ports-is a complicated matter.

Samantha Levens, a Bay Area member of the Inland
Boatmen's Union, an ILWU affiliate, said education and
preparation among the members should have been a first
priority. She noted that some previous shutdowns took
months to prepare-like a May Day work stoppage in 2008.

When confronted with a picket line at port gates, ILWU
members have the right under their coastwide contract
to stop work and call an arbitrator to rule on possible
safety threats or the validity of the picket line.

Success in shutting down ports along the coast depends
upon presenting a credible safety threat to longshore
workers. If emergency vehicles cannot make it into the
port, or if the workers feel threatened by mass pickets
and police presence, they will call an arbitrator to
decide whether the action presents a bona fide risk.
The decision to call an arbitrator can delay the
beginning of work, and if the workers are sent home
they may not be paid, depending on the circumstance.

Port bosses warned the ILWU that the 2008 May Day
stoppage against the military occupation of Iraq and
Afghanistan was "unauthorized" but members went through
with it regardless.

"Because the members had discussed and debated it
before they voted on it and had been building support
amongst the ranks heading towards the vote, the buy-in
and ownership of the action was firmly in the hands of
the members," Levens said.

THUMBS UP AND DOWN

Complicating the union landscape have been efforts from
Bay Area building trades unions to force labor to
oppose today's port shutdown.

The Alameda Central Labor Council, with the approval of
ILWU Local 10's president, tabled a motion that
condemned the Occupy action, after several delegates
argued that the occupiers deserved at least neutrality.

But the Building Trades Council denounced the shutdown,
and the Alameda council hurriedly adopted a negative
position December 5.

After the first resolution was tabled, the CLC's
Executive Secretary Treasurer Josie Camacho (whose
husband Victor Uno is an Oakland port commissioner and
Electrical Workers business manager) pushed a second
motion decrying the shutdown.

Eric Larsen, member relations secretary for AFSCME
Local 444 and labor liaison with Occupy Oakland, was
barred from addressing the CLC about the port action.

"I pleaded with them to let me speak," he said. "They
would not."

He said council leaders claimed the reason for
rejecting him, and their denunciation of the shutdown,
came from Occupy's inability to communicate.

ORIGIN: LOS ANGELES

Originally, the idea of a December 12 protest was
initiated by Occupy Los Angeles, to coincide with
immigrants' rights activities around Our Lady of
Guadalupe Day.

Sarah Knopp, a 12-year member of the Teachers union
(UTLA) in Los Angeles, said occupiers decided to target
SSA Marine, a terminal operator owned by Goldman Sachs
with container terminals in North and South America and
in Vietnam.

SSA Marine is notorious for its environmental, labor,
and human rights abuses and its exploitation of port
truck drivers paid piece rates to move cargo containers
on and off the docks. Occupiers were also motivated by
the firing of 27 port truckers who work for a separate
firm, Toll Group. Those fired had worn Teamster shirts,
part of a long-running campaign to beat the legal
prohibitions on organizing.

After Oakland Occupy expanded the call to all ports on
the West Coast, Occupy L.A. decided to stay with its
original plan-a march from Harry Bridges Park to an SSA
terminal, and a community picket to block a gate. The
ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles take up 25 miles of
coastland and handle 85 percent of all traffic on the
West Coast, an operation too vast to blockade with the
numbers the protesters expected.

Knopp and fellow occupiers stood outside a recent ILWU
Local 13 meeting and flyered the workers to build
support for the SSA action. They received a "totally
friendly reception," Knopp said. "Everyone thinks it's
a great idea."

"We're initiating a process where the Occupy movement
can build a base in the labor movement," said Michael
Novick, a UTLA retiree.

Saying that L.A. occupiers recognize the ILWU is not a
position to act today (and its leadership was not
solicited to participate), Novick added that the port
truckers may be better placed to carry out the action
in this crucial port. With no union contract, they face
no sanction except loss of a day's pay.

A loose association of port truck organizers who helped
to shut the port on May 1, 2006, when immigrants rights
protests shook the country, met December 9 to decide
whether to attempt a similar action December 12.

Ernesto Nevarez, a port truck organizer, said truckers
at the Los Angeles-Long Beach port stayed away for
hours Monday morning as nearly 1,000 marchers rallied
at port gates.

SPLIT, DEMOCRATICALLY

Every ILWU officer and international staffer reiterates
the union's solidarity with the Occupy movement and its
goals. But the December 12 action has annoyed many.

Cameron Williams, president of Local 19 in Seattle,
said, "It's kind of like if I planned a party at your
house and didn't ask about it." Local officers say
occupiers circumvented the union's democratic process.

"The occupiers have been understandably confused by
mixed signals from individuals in the ILWU," said Craig
Merrilees, communications director for the
international. He believes some members are speaking to
occupiers without the backing of the organization's
internal democratic process.

President Scott Mason of Local 23 in Tacoma,
Washington, said he hasn't "felt much movement either
way" from the members.

"Local 8 officers aren't in support of it," said Jeff
Smith, president of the Portland longshore local. "If
it went to a rank-and-file vote I don't know what would
happen."

Rank and filers won't get a chance to have their say.
Local 8's next membership meeting is December 14.

Occupiers leafleted the dispatch hall but members say
they might have succeeded in convincing more of the
Portland rank and file if outreach had started before
the action was set.

Levens expressed support for the Occupy movement's
goal-to confront corporate power-but not its approach
in this action.

"The lack of communication with the members and union
officials leaves the Occupy activists and union members
without the benefit of sharing our [earlier] Oakland
experience with shutting down the port and community
pickets," said Levens, who has been active in Oakland
general assemblies.

Parker said the constraints on unions are too great to
expect a better process.

"Even if Occupy Oakland were the best, most democratic
it could be, there is no way that they could consult
with elected leaders of the ILWU," he said. "Unions are
faced with a choice of gambling everything [by openly
supporting a strike] or of protecting themselves by
disclaiming responsibility and honoring lines by using
loopholes."

It doesn't help that the institutions assessing
liability-right-wing courts-are not on labor's side.

Parker says the occupiers may have to look for new ways
to hit the 1%.

"The continued focus on the docks, because it is easy
and takes advantage of the solidarity traditions of the
dock workers, makes the dock workers themselves the
targets and the targets start resenting it," Parker
said.

SOLIDARITY WITH LONGVIEW

Occupy Oakland said a big part of the reason for
today's action was solidarity with ILWU Local 21 in its
struggle against grain shipper EGT. Some in the
movement say the ILWU officialdom, which badly needs to
beat EGT, is merely covering its legal bases by
distancing itself from the action.

But leaders of locals up and down the coast say a
coastwide work stoppage for Local 21 could actually
harm its struggle, by uniting employers to support EGT.

A more immediate fear could be legal reprisals
resulting from an injunction and contempt charges
leveled by a federal judge against Local 21 and the
international. Fines for the local's disruptions,
blockades, and grain-dumping this summer have already
totaled $315,000.

If a federal judge determines that occupiers are acting
on the union's behalf, Mason said, "we can be charged
$5,000 for every incident."

Still, Local 21 President Dan Coffman, who gave a
speech about EGT to Occupy Oakland the day after its
general assembly adopted the shutdown call, does not
conceal his enthusiasm for the movement.

Coffman cited the November 2 port shutdown as an
inspiration to his members, who have been on the picket
line for six months.

Supporters of Occupy and ILWU Local 21 are preparing
for January, when a ship headed for Asia is scheduled
to retrieve grain from the disputed elevator in
Longview. An independently organized action could allow
the ILWU to circumvent the legal minefield set in front
of its own membership.

"We're going to do whatever we can to stop that ship
from being loaded," Coffman vowed.

Eduardo Soriano-Castillo contributed to this story from
Oakland.

(2)
An Open Letter from America's Port Truck Drivers on
Occupy the Ports
December 12, 2011

http://cleanandsafeports.org/blog/2011/12/12/an-open-letter-from-america%E2%80%99s-port-truck-drivers-on-occupy-the-ports/

We are the front-line workers who haul container rigs
full of imported and exported goods to and from the
docks and warehouses every day.

We have been elected by committees of our co-workers at
the Ports of Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland, Seattle,
Tacoma, New York and New Jersey to tell our collective
story. We have accepted the honor to speak up for our
brothers and sisters about our working conditions
despite the risk of retaliation we face. One of us is a
mother, the rest of us fathers. Between the five of us
we have 11children and one more baby on the way. We
have a combined 46 years of experience driving cargo
from our shores for America's stores.

We are inspired that a non-violent democratic movement
that insists on basic economic fairness is capturing
the hearts and minds of so many working people. Thank
you "99 Percenters" for hearing our call for justice.
We are humbled and overwhelmed by recent attention.
Normally we are invisible.

Today's demonstrations will impact us. While we cannot
officially speak for every worker who shares our
occupation, we can use this opportunity to reveal what
it's like to walk a day in our shoes for the 110,000 of
us in America whose job it is to be a port truck
driver. It may be tempting for media to ask questions
about whether we support a shutdown, but there are no
easy answers. Instead, we ask you, are you willing to
listen and learn why a one-word response is impossible?

We love being behind the wheel. We are proud of the
work we do to keep America's economy moving. But we
feel humiliated when we receive paychecks that suggest
we work part time at a fast-food counter. Especially
when we work an average of 60 or more hours a week,
away from our families.

There is so much at stake in our industry. It is one of
the nation's most dangerous occupations. We don't think
truck driving should be a dead-end road in America. It
should be a good job with a middle-class paycheck like
it used to be decades ago.

We desperately want to drive clean and safe vehicles.
Rigs that do not fill our lungs with deadly toxins, or
dirty the air in the communities we haul in.

Poverty and pollution are like a plague at the ports.
Our economic conditions are what led to the
environmental crisis.

You, the public, have paid a severe price along with
us.

Why? Just like Wall Street doesn't have to abide by
rules, our industry isn't bound to regulation. So the
market is run by con artists. The companies we work for
call us independent contractors, as if we were our own
bosses, but they boss us around. We receive Third World
wages and drive sweatshops on wheels. We cannot
negotiate our rates. (Usually we are not allowed to
even see them.) We are paid by the load, not by the
hour. So when we sit in those long lines at the
terminals, or if we are stuck in traffic, we become
volunteers who basically donate our time to the
trucking and shipping companies. That's the nice way to
put it. We have all heard the words "modern-day slaves"
at the lunch stops.

There are no restrooms for drivers. We keep empty
bottles in our cabs. Plastic bags too. We feel like
dogs. An Oakland driver was recently banned from the
terminal because he was spied relieving himself behind
a container. Neither the port, nor the terminal
operators or anyone in the industry thinks it is their
responsibility to provide humane and hygienic
facilities for us. It is absolutely horrible for
drivers who are women, who risk infection when they try
to hold it until they can find a place to go.

The companies demand we cut corners to compete. It
makes our roads less safe. When we try to blow the
whistle about skipped inspections, faulty equipment, or
falsified logs, then we are "starved out." That means
we are either fired outright, or more likely, we never
get dispatched to haul a load again.

It may be difficult to comprehend the complex issues
and nature of our employment. For us too. When
businesses disguise workers like us as contractors, the
Department of Labor calls it misclassification. We call
it illegal. Those who profit from global trade and
goods movement are getting away with it because
everyone is doing it. One journalist took the time to
talk to us this week and she explains it very well to
outsiders. We hope you will read the enclosed article
"How Goldman Sachs and Other Companies Exploit Port
Truck Drivers."

But the short answer to the question: Why are companies
like SSA Marine, the Seattle-based global terminal
operator that runs one of the West Coast's major
trucking carriers, Shippers' Transport Express, doing
this? Why would mega-rich Maersk, a huge Danish
shipping and trucking conglomerate that wants  to drill
for more oil with Exxon Mobil in the Gulf Coast conduct
business this way too?

To cheat on taxes, drive down business costs, and deny
us the right to belong to a union, that's why.

The typical arrangement works like this: Everything
comes out of our pockets or is deducted from our
paychecks. The truck or lease, fuel, insurance,
registration, you name it. Our employers do not have to
pay the costs of meeting emissions-compliant
regulations; that is our financial burden to bear.
Clean trucks cost about four to five times more than
what we take home in a year. A few of us haul our
company's trucks for a tiny fraction of what the
shippers pay per load instead of an hourly wage. They
still call us independent owner-operators and give us a
1099 rather than a W-2.

We have never recovered from losing our basic rights as
employees in America. Every year it literally goes from
bad to worse to the unimaginable. We were ground zero
for the government's first major experiment into
letting big business call the shots. Since it worked so
well for the CEOs in transportation, why not the
mortgage and banking industry too?

Even the few of us who are hired as legitimate
employees are routinely denied our legal rights under
this system. Just ask our co-workers who haul clothing
brands like Guess?, Under Armour, and Ralph Lauren's
Polo. The carrier they work for in Los Angeles is
called Toll Group and is headquartered in Australia. At
the busiest time of the holiday shopping season, 26
drivers were axed after wearing Teamster T-shirts to
work. They were protesting the lack of access to clean,
indoor restrooms with running water. The company hired
an anti-union consultant to intimidate the drivers.
Down Under, the same company bargains with 12,000 of
our counterparts in good faith.

Despite our great hardships, many of us cannot - or
refuse to, as some of the most well-intentioned suggest
- "just quit." First, we want to work and do not have a
safety net. Many of us are tied to one-sided leases.
But more importantly, why should we have to leave?
Truck driving is what we do, and we do it well.

We are the skilled, specially-licensed professionals
who guarantee that Target, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart are
all stocked with just-in-time delivery for consumers.
Take a look at all the stuff in your house. The things
you see advertised on TV. Chances are a port truck
driver brought that special holiday gift to the store
you bought it.

We would rather stick together and transform our
industry from within. We deserve to be fairly rewarded
and valued. That is why we have united to stage
convoys, park our trucks, marched on the boss, and even
shut down these ports.

It's like our hero Dutch Prior, a Shipper's/SSA Marine
driver, told CBS Early Morning this month: "If you
don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

The more underwater we are, the more our restlessness
grows. We are being thoughtful about how best to
organize ourselves and do what is needed to win
dignity, respect, and justice.

Nowadays greedy corporations are treated as "people"
while the politicians they bankroll cast union members
who try to improve their workplaces as "thugs."

But we believe in the power and potential behind a
truly united 99%. We admire the strength and
perseverance of the longshoremen. We are fighting like
mad to overcome our exploitation, so please, stick by
us long after December 12. Our friends in the Coalition
for Clean & Safe Ports created a pledge you can sign to
support us here.

We drivers have a saying, "We may not have a union yet,
but no one can stop us from acting like one."

The brothers and sisters of the Teamsters have our
backs. They help us make our voices heard. But we need
your help too so we can achieve the day where we raise
our fists and together declare: "No one could stop us
from forming a union."

Thank you.

In solidarity,

Leonardo Mejia