PORTSIDE  November 2011, Week 1

PORTSIDE November 2011, Week 1

Domestic Workers Say No to Keystone XL

Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:58:58 -0400

Domestic Workers Say No to Keystone XL

New York City
November 4, 2011

http://www.domesticworkers.org/we-need-real-jobs-solutions-not-the-keystone-xl-pipeline

The National Domestic Workers Alliance and the NY
State-based Domestic Workers United today declared
their opposition to the Keystone XL pipeline, and urged
the State Department to deny approval of the project.

The domestic workers' statement noted, "Many of our
members come to the U.S. from countries already
severely impacted by climate change and environmental
devastation. If approved and constructed, the Keystone
XL pipeline will have a huge impact on our communities,
on First Nation communities, on global greenhouse gas
emissions, and risks major contamination of the largest
freshwater aquifer in North America."

The statement follows President Obama's November 2
statement on Keystone XL, when he announced that
Nebraskans and the American people are not going to
"take a few thousand jobs if it means that our kids are
potentially drinking water that would damage their
health or rich land that's so important to agriculture
in Nebraska are being adversely affected."

The decision by the domestic workers follows the stance
taken by the Amalgamated Transit Union and Transport
Workers Union who in mid August issued a joint
statement opposing Keystone XL and called for a Green
New Deal to create jobs and meet social and
environmental needs.

Transport unions' statement here:

http://www.atu.org/media/releases/atu-twu-oppose-approval-of-the-keystone-xl-pipeline-and-call-for-end-of-increased-use-of-tar-sands-oil

The NDWA and DWU statement calls for a Green New Deal,
and referred to their participation in a broad campaign
called Caring Across Generations, one of the goals of
which is "to create 2 million new, quality jobs in home
care, to help ensure that our loved ones who need care
and support can live with dignity and the workers
charged with that important work have dignified jobs.
This and many other initiatives offer real solutions to
our nation's jobs crisis. The Keystone pipeline is not
one of them. On behalf of domestic workers and future
generations, we urge decision-makers to focus on the
solutions that will allow us to develop a healthy 21st
Century economy, one that will truly work for all
people and the planet.

Statement:

"The National Domestic Workers Alliance, and Domestic
Workers United call on the State Department not to
approve the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline or
to take any actions that lead to the further extraction
of Tar Sands oil from Alberta, Canada.  The National
Domestic Workers Alliance organizes domestic workers in
the United States for respect, recognition and fair
labor standards. We represent hundreds of thousands of
women workers in the U.S. who do the work that makes
all other work possible - the work of caring for homes
and families.

Many of our members come to the U.S. from countries
already severely impacted by climate change and
environmental devastation. If approved and constructed,
the Keystone XL pipeline will have a huge impact on our
communities, on First Nation communities, on global
greenhouse gas emissions, and risks major contamination
of the largest freshwater aquifer in North America.

By building a pipeline from Alberta to Texas, Keystone
XL will open up the Tar Sands in Canada to massive?
expansion, and will release huge quantities of this
dirty oil into the global energy system.  NDWA and DWU
are concerned that Keystone XL could double the amount
of highly toxic Tar Sands oil being imported into the
United States. The Tar Sands has already destroyed vast
areas of forest and hurt many local communities. The
expansion of the Tar Sands will severely impede our
country's and the world's efforts to transition to a
more sustainable economy.

The Alliance And DWU therefore add their voices to the
rising opposition to this dangerous project. We stand
with those in the labor movement who oppose Keystone
XL, such as the Amalgamated Transit Union, the
Transport Workers Union and others.  We need jobs, but
not jobs based on increasing our reliance on Tar Sands
oil. There is no shortage of work to be done. Water
pipelines need replacing, bridges and tunnels need
repair, and transportation infrastructure must be
renewed. We know first hand that many jobs are urgently
needed in long-term care, particularly home-based care
for our nation's rapidly growing aging population.

 We are both part of a broad alliance of organizations
 that have launched a campaign called Caring Across
 Generations, to create 2 million new, quality jobs in
 home care, to help ensure that our loved ones who need
 care and support can live with dignity and the workers
 charged with that important work have dignified jobs.
 This and many other initiatives offer real solutions
 to our nation's jobs crisis. The Keystone pipeline is
 not one of them. On behalf of domestic workers and
 future generations, we urge decision-makers to focus
 on the solutions that will allow us to develop a
 healthy 21st Century economy, one that will truly work
 for all people and the planet.

____________________________

The National Domestic Workers Alliance

Founded in 2007, the National Domestic Workers Alliance
organizes domestic workers in the United States for
respect, recognition and labor standards. Through
leadership development, strategic campaigns and
alliance building we seek to help build a vibrant
movement for social and global justice.

Domestic Workers United

Founded in 2000, Domestic Workers United [DWU] is an
organization of Caribbean, Latina and African nannies,
housekeepers, and elderly caregivers in New York,
organizing for power, respect, fair labor standards and
to help build a movement to end exploitation and
oppression for all.