PORTSIDE  October 2011, Week 2

PORTSIDE October 2011, Week 2

EMERGENCY ACTION - DEFEND OCCUPY WALL STREET! - New Yorkers Rally to Defend Occupy Wall Street; Support Needed from Around the World

Thu, 13 Oct 2011 20:04:53 -0400

EMERGENCY ACTION - DEFEND OCCUPY WALL STREET! - New Yorkers
Rally to Defend Occupy Wall Street; Support Needed from
Around the World - Sign the Petition, Call Mayor Bloomberg

===
Emergency Appeals from AFL-CIO, Occupy Wall Street, Beyond
May 12, CODEPINK, AFL-CIO, Labor Notes,  Bold Progressives,
Campaign for America's Future

===

Go to Wall Street. NOW.

Manny Herrmann, AFL-CIO <[log in to unmask]>

At 7 a.m. tomorrow, New York Mayor Bloomberg plans to
effectively evict the Occupy Wall Street protesters.

Mayor Bloomberg is ordering Occupy Wall Street protesters
out of Zuccotti Park for a cleanup at sunrise, and his new
rules for their return would effectively shut down the
occupation.

Will you consider coming out to Zuccotti Park to support the
protests?

Since the protests are a truly organic movement, and aren't
organized by the AFL-CIO, we can't tell you exactly what
will be happening. But what we can tell you is this: the
more people who can stand in solidarity at this critical
moment, the better.

As I write this message, Occupy Wall Street is asking people
to show up at midnight. But whether you are reading this
message before or after midnight, I encourage you to get the
latest details here: http://www.occupywallst.org

To find Zuccotti Park on Google maps, click here.
http://www.google.com/maps?q=Zuccotti+Park,+Manhattan,+New+York,+10006&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.477264,79.013672&vpsrc=0&geocode=FagsbQIdyK2W-w&hnear=Zuccotti+Park,+New+York,+10006&t=m&z=15

Thank you for coming out to stand with the 99 percent.

In Solidarity,

Manny Herrmann
Online Mobilization Coordinator, AFL-CIO

P.S. Can't make it? Please try. But if you can't, sign our
emergency petition.
http://act.aflcio.org/c/18/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=
2995
==========

EMERGENCY CALL TO ACTION: Keep Bloomberg and Kelly From
Evicting #OWS

Posted Oct. 13, 2011, 2:14 p.m. EST by OccupyWallSt
http://www.occupywallst.org/article/emergency-call-action-prevent-forcible-closure-occ/

EMERGENCY #OWS EVICTION DEFENSE:
Prevent the forcible closure of Occupy Wall Street

Tell Bloomberg: Don't Foreclose the Occupation.
NEED MASS TURN-OUT, SHOW UP AT MIDNIGHT, NOT 6 A.M.

This is an emergency situation. Please take a minute to read
this, and please take action and spread the word far and
wide.

Occupy Wall Street is gaining momentum, with occupation
actions now happening in cities across the world.

But last night Mayor Bloomberg and the NYPD notified Occupy
Wall Street participants about plans to "clean the park" -
the site of the Wall Street protests - tomorrow starting at
7am. "Cleaning" was used as a pretext to shut down
"Bloombergville" a few months back, and to shut down
peaceful occupations elsewhere.

Bloomberg says that the park will be open for public usage
following the cleaning, but with a notable caveat: Occupy
Wall Street participants must follow the "rules".

NYPD Police Commissioner Ray Kelly has said that they will
move in to clear us and we will not be allowed to take
sleeping bags, tarps, personal items or gear back into the
park.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/wall_street_protestors_will_tents_4IyAa1fLfXamvvwkvSbHbM

This is it - this is their attempt to shut down #OWS for
good.

PLEASE TAKE ACTION

1) Call 311 (or +1 (212) NEW-YORK if you're out of town) and
tell Bloomberg to support our right to assemble and to not
interfere with #OWS.

2) Come to #OWS TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT to defend the occupation
from eviction.

For those of you who plan to help us hold our ground - which
we hope will be all of you - make sure you understand the
possible consequences. Be prepared to not get much sleep. Be
prepared for possible arrest. Make sure your items are
together and ready to go (or already out of the park.) We
are pursuing all possible strategies; this is a message of
solidarity.

Click here to learn nonviolent tactics for holding ground.
http://occupywallst.org/article/how-hold-your-ground/ Occupy
Wall Street is committed to keeping the park clean and safe
- we even have a Sanitation Working Group whose purpose this
is. We are organizing major cleaning operations today and
will do so regularly.

If Bloomberg truly cares about sanitation here he should
support the installation of portopans and dumpsters. #OWS
allies have been working to secure these things to support
our efforts.

We know where the real dirt is: on Wall Street. Billionaire
Bloomberg is beholden to bankers.

We won't allow Bloomberg and the NYPD to foreclose our
occupation. This is an occupation, not a permitted picnic.

==========

EMERGENCY ACTION - DEFEND OCCUPY WALL STREET!

Friday, October 14 ยท 6:00am - 9:00am
Zucotti Park
1 Liberty Plaza,

Mayor Bloomberg announced that tomorrow morning, he's
evacuating Zucotti Park for "cleaning" - Be warned, this is
a tactic that Bloomberg has used to shut down protests in
the past, and a tactic used recently in similar protests
throughout Europe.

WE CANNOT LET THIS HAPPEN. THE OCCUPY WALL STREET MOVEMENT
IS GROWING. STAND WITH US AT 6 AM TOMORROW TO DEFEND THE
PARK.

Community organizations, Labor, and NYC residents are
banding together to flock to Zucotti Park, to show
solidarity with #OccupyWallStreet.

YES. WE KNOW IT'S EARLY. COME AS EARLY AS YOU CAN. OUR TIME
IS NOW, AND KEEPING THE MOVEMENT ALIVE IS PARAMOUNT.

REMEMBER TO BRING A VALID PHOTO ID WITH YOU AND TO HAVE IT
ON YOU AT ALL TIMES!

Beyond May 12

http://www.onmay12.org/
https://www.facebook.com/BeyondMay12?sk=info

==========

Urgent: Help Stop Eviction of Occupy Wall Street

CODEPINK <[log in to unmask]>

Mayor Bloomberg wants to evict protesters from Zuccotti Park
on Wall St. Let's make sure this doesn't happen.

1. Flood the city hotline with calls at (212) 639-9675 or
dial 311 within NYC. Tell Bloomberg to respect our first
amendment right to assemble.

2. If you are near NYC, join the cleanup.
http://codepink.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=OlEXv3nyS%2Fw6OXqBZEWKC2673aOvC78%2B
or
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=271481366218976

Click here for additional information on Bloomberg's attempt
to evict the 99%.
http://codepink.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Af4jaqSdp3QeNt9aIH9XDm673aOvC78%2B
or
http://www.occupywallst.org/article/emergency-call-action-prevent-forcible-closure-occ/

Your actions are critical to keeping our movement growing.
Call New York and support your local occupation. The most
important thing we can do for peace and justice right now is
joining the Occupy Together movement. That means
participating in person in an occupation near you. Or
consider joining us in DC because we need help building a
critical mass in our nation's capital to voice the message
of the 99%.  http://codepinkalert.org/section.php?id=464

CODEPINK

Tweet This:
RT @codepinkalert: I denounce @MikeBloomberg's attempt to
evict #occupywallstreet! I support the right to assemble
http://ow.ly/6WHza

Share on Facebook
http://codepink.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=LhH3paHMM2R%2B0ViVAphRPW673aOvC78%2B
or
https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fj.mp%2Frgcpc5

==========

don't Let Bloomberg Shut Down 'Occupy Wall Street

AFL-CIO
http://act.aflcio.org/c/18/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=2995

don't Let Bloomberg Shut Down 'Occupy Wall Street

At 7 a.m. tomorrow New York Mayor Bloomberg will effectively
evict the Occupy Wall Street protesters from their home in
Zuccotti Park.

We have less than 24 hours to stop it.

We need a national groundswell immediately in defense of the
protesters, so we can deliver a massive petition to City
Hall and Zuccotti Park tonight.

Sign the petition in defense of the protesters and their
First Amendment rights and then spread the word to everyone
you know.

		Mayor Bloomberg: Respect the protesters'
		First Amendment rights. don't try to evict
		Occupy Wall Street.

==========

Defend 'Occupy Wall Street' Friday

Labor Notes
http://labornotes.org/

Labor has rallied behind the Wall Street occupation to
return the nation's focus to the executives, bankers, and
politicians who got us into this mess. But Mayor Michael
Bloomberg is trying to shut down the heartening 'occupy'
phenomenon, now in its fourth week, with a cleanup at
sunrise Friday.

As the occupiers note, "cleaning" was used as a pretext to
shut down the "Bloombergville" protest against budget cuts a
few months back, and to shut down peaceful occupations
elsewhere.

Bloomberg says the protesters could return, but under new
rules prohibiting tarps, sleeping bags, and "lying down," in
an attempt to halt a growing call for an economy that serves
working people and not the corporations and banks.

The occupiers have their own sanitation team cleaning the
park, and many unions are offering aid and solidarity
tomorrow morning to prevent the police from crushing what's
become a vital national symbol of resistance (and a staging
ground to bring allies and attention to union fights).

Join your fellow troublemakers tomorrow for a show of
solidarity at 6 a.m. at Zuccotti Park, at the corner of
Liberty and Broadway in downtown Manhattan. Watch the Occupy
Wall Street page for updates. http://occupywallst.org/

==========

URGENT: Defend Occupy Wall Street

Bold Progressives
Progressive Change Campaign Committee

http://act.boldprogressives.org/sign/petition_defend_ows/?akid=5492.85503.fT05-7&rd=1&source=e1-boa&t=3

BREAKING NEWS: The New York Times reports "Mayor Michael
Bloomberg said Wednesday night that protesters would be made
to leave" at 7am -- effectively evicting the Occupy Wall
Street.

We have less than 24 hours to stop it - please sign this
emergency petition.

    Mayor Bloomberg: Respect First Amendment rights. Don't
    try to evict Occupy Wall Street.

Bloomberg is claiming the eviction is "temporary" for a
"cleaning" of the park -- the exact excuse used to
permanently end prior protests. We need a national
groundswell immediately.

UPDATE: Over 100,000 people signed this petition in the last
few hours. It will be delivered by our friends at MoveOn to
Mayor Bloomberg tonight -- please sign now and spread the
word to everyone you know.

==========

Stop NYC From Evicting "Occupy Wall St."

Robert Borosage, Campaign for America's Future

Disturbing developments in New York City. Mayor Mike
Bloomberg just said he's going to use the police to
effectively end "Occupy Wall Street" Friday morning.

In a transparent ploy, new rules were passed out this
morning prohibiting tarps, sleeping bags and "lying
down" - even as temperatures plummet.

We must stand up in defense of "Occupy Wall Street."

American Dream movement leaders are sounding the call across
the nation: Call Mayor Bloomberg at 212-NEW-YORK
(212-639-9675) now and tell him: "Respect the First
Amendment. Don't evict 'Occupy Wall Street.'"

We need to show a national groundswell of support in the
next few hours for the brave occupiers who are peacefully
exercising their First Amendment rights and highlighting our
broken economy that's left 99% of us behind.

The only way we'll get Mayor Bloomberg to change his plan is
massive public pressure. Take a moment now and call 212-NEW-
YORK (212-639-9675) and stand up for "Occupy Wall Street."

They want to crush our movement. They can't if we don't let
them.

====

Earlier today we asked you to call New York Mayor Michael
Bloomberg's office and tell him "Respect the First
Amendment. Don't evict 'Occupy Wall Street.'"

Many of you did, joining numerous other organizations
supporting the occupiers. And, predictably, the phone lines
in Bloomberg's New York City offices were jammed. If you
tried calling and were greeted with a long recorded message
followed by a long time on hold, there are other ways to
show your opposition to the effort to shut down the protest
against Wall Street and the big-money corruption of our
politics.

1. You can sign MoveOn.org's petition. That petition is
going to be delivered to Mayor Bloomberg at 6pm this
evening. http://civ.moveon.org/defend_ows/

2. You can email or call Brookfield CEO Richard B. Clark.
Brookfield Office Properties owns Zuccotti Park, where the
protest is being held, and has asked the city to remove the
protestors so the park can be "cleaned." His direct number
212-417-7063. If you get a recording, leave a message. His
email is [log in to unmask]

3. You can send Mayor Bloomberg an email through his contact
page.
http://caf.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QKtu7aqe%2BDJEmKFqTOfk9mLVo%2FvEYxug
or
http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.bd08ee7c7c1ffec87c4b36d501c789a0/index.jsp?doc_name=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml%2Fmail%2Fhtml%2Fmayor.html

However you choose, it is important to keep the pressure up
on both the city and the real estate company that controls
the park. don't let them silence "Occupy Wall Street."

Sincerely,

Robert Borosage