From:
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:03:14 -0400
REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
September 18, 2011

'We're facing an Arab awakening that nobody could have imagined and
few predicted just a few years ago. And it's sweeping aside a lot of the
old preconceptions.'

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton
New York Times
September 18, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3qmjme

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3vfmqvr
Free Market Circus
Signe Wilkinson

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
September 19, 2011

"What should be happening? The answer is that we need
a major push to get the economy moving, not at some
future date, but right now. For the time being we need
more, not less, government spending, supported by
aggressively expansionary policies from the Federal
Reserve and its counterparts abroad. And it's not just
pointy-headed economists saying this; business leaders
like Google's Eric Schmidt are saying the same thing,
and the bond market, by buying U.S. debt at such low
interest rates, is in effect pleading for a more
 expansionary policy.

"And to be fair, some policy players seem to get it.
President Obama's new jobs plan is a step in the right
direction, while some board members of the Federal
Reserve and the Bank of England - though not, sad to
 say, the European Central Bank - have been calling
for much more growth-oriented policies.

"What we really need, however, is to convince a
substantial number of people with political power or
influence that they've spent the last year and a half
going in exactly the wrong direction, and that they
 need to make a U-turn.

"It's not going to be easy. But until that U-turn
happens, the bleeding - which is making our economy
weaker now, and undermining its future at the same
time - will continue.'

Economist Paul Krugman
New York Times
September 19, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3txy3da

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/44c57vs
Real World
Ed Stein

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
September 20, 2011

'Spare us the histrionics. The GOP and its upper-crust
patrons have been waging an undeclared but devastating
war against middle-class, working-class and poor
Americans for decades. Now they scream bloody murder at
the notion that long-suffering victims might finally
hit back.'

Columnist Eugene Robinson
Washington Post
September 20, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3ktkd42

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/6dy2s63
I'm Entitled
Joel Pitt

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
September 21, 2011

'No one should forget. Wall Street and big corporations
had the party. They rigged the rules. They pocketed the
rewards. They created the mess. They got taxpayers to
save them. The conservatives argue that the vulnerable
should pick up the whole tab. And even some liberals
call for a "shared sacrifice" that would mean the most
vulnerable in the society - the seniors, the poor, the
disabled and the sick - should help to clean up the
mess.

'The fact is that most Americans have already
sacrificed. They are the victims of bad policies skewed
to benefit the privileged. Real shared sacrifice would
require that we send the bill to those who had the
party and created the mess, and ask them to pay their
fair share. '

Columnist Katrina vanden Heuvel
Washington Post
September 20, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3dyh5os

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3chnsfp
'Did You Hear That!'
Ben Sargent

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
September 22, 2011

'The extraordinary tableau Wednesday at the United
Nations underscored a stark new reality: the United
States is facing the prospect of having to share, or
even cede, its decades-long role as the architect of
Middle East peacemaking.'

New York Times
September 22, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3v7vwc7

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3meccuu
Satan Sandwich
M. Wuerker - Politico

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
September 23, 2011

'A more creative Israel would embrace Palestine's
recognition, which it has already endorsed in
principle, and then rally allies to its side, to
leverage their support in decisive settlement talks. By
this path, Israel could repair the alliances that it
painstakingly built in the Muslim world after Oslo,
without surrendering its negotiating position; relieve
pressure on itself as Arab revolutions progress; and
reinforce the Palestinian Authority's credibility
within the 1967 borders, which are the only realistic
basis for peace. Instead, Netanyahu has only blustered,
daring Obama to defy him during an election year.

Steve Coll
The New Yorker
September 26, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3v7l72k

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3hsrw88
Environmental Help Wanted
Jim Morin - Miami Herald

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
September 24, 2011

'It is a moment of truth, and my people are waiting to
hear the answer of the world. Will it allow Israel to
continue its occupation, the only occupation in the world?'

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas
to the United Nations General Assembly
New York Times
September  24, 2011