PORTSIDE  September 2011, Week 4

PORTSIDE September 2011, Week 4

Portside Announcements for September 28, 2011

Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:12:58 -0400

Portside Announcements for September 28, 2011
---------------------

* Young Jewish and Proud - High Holy Day Manifesto for
   a Just Peace
* Protest Union-Busting at Sotheby's  NYC  9/30
* An Evening with Ali Abunimah -- with Special Guest
   Alice Walker   Oakland, CA  10/5
* Science & Society Special 75th Anniversary NYC 10/14
* Women, War & Peace on PBS starting 10/11 (Codepink)

**************

Young Jewish and Proud -
High Holy Day Manifesto for Just Peace -
Listen to the Next Generation of Jews

We are young Jews, and we get to decide what that means
http://youtu.be/BAV-3-AqP9M

A statement of purpose and open challenge to the Jewish
community to listen to Jewish youth and our commitment to
creating a vital, Jewish life that embraces all people-
including Palestinians--as equals.

http://www.youngjewishproud.org/

Young, Jewish and Proud, a grassroots organization based
in the United States, has released a video manifesto
calling upon the Jewish community to recognize their call
for a just resolution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.
The video was released to coincide with the Palestinian
bid for independent statehood at the UN, and with the
Jewish High Holy Days, which begin Wednesday night with
Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.

In the video, 40 Jewish-American youth aged 18-36 face the
camera to testify to their diversity - from rabbis and
students to punks and freedom fighters - before declaring
their manifesto, which includes quotes such as:

    We refuse to allow our identities to be cut, cleaned,
    packaged nicely, and sold back to us. We won't be won
    over by free vacations and scholarship money. We won't
    buy the logic that slaughter means safety. We will not
    quietly witness the violation of human rights in
    Palestine. We refuse to become the mother who did not
    scream when wise King Solomon resolved to split her baby
    in two.

The video is co-sponsored by Jewish Voice for Peace, which
calls for an end of the Israeli occupation of East
Jerusalem, Gaza and the West Bank, and for a just
resolution to the Palestinian refugee problem.

*******************

PROTEST UNION-BUSTING AT SOTHEBY'S-- FRIDAY, 9/30 @ 1PM!

Forty three members of Teamsters 814 at Sotheby's have
been locked out for going on 9 weeks now.  The company
made over $680 million last year in profit, and they are
demanding that we waive our right to any retirement
benefits and agree that all new hires be non-union!

So, needless to say, we feel this is a crucial fight, with
many implications for other unions and working people
gnerally in NYC in New York.  If a private employer, who
is highly profitable and doesn't need concessions can get
them anyway, then what does that mean for the rest of us!?

Join the IBT 814 members this Friday, September 30th at 1
PM at Sotheby's Headquarters at 1334 York Avenue (between
71st and 72nd Streets-- near the "Hunter College/68th
Street" station on the 6 train). Sotheby's will be holding
an art sale-- let's show them we support the locked-out
union workers!.

If you are a union member, please shirts, hats etc.,
identifying what unions you are from-- let the locked-out
814 members know they are supported by other unions in
NYC!

*******************

Oakland, CA: An Evening with Ali Abunimah -- with
Special Guest Alice Walker

Wednesday, October 5, 7:00pm

The Middle East Children's Alliance is pleased to
present:

An Evening with Ali Abunimah -- with Special Guest
Alice Walker

First Presbyterian Church of Oakland 2619 Broadway

Ali Abunimah is co-founder of The Electronic Intifada
and author of One Country: A Bold Proposal to End the
Israeli-Palestinian Impasse.

Alice Walker Alice Walker is a Pulitzer-Prize-winning
writer, including her book, Overcoming Speechlessness:
A Poet Encounters the Horror in Rwanda, Eastern Congo
and Palestine/Israel. She participated in the US Boat
to Gaza, part of the Freedom flotilla.

Tickets: $15, $10 students/low-income, available at
through Brown Paper Tickets,  or at local bookstores:
(East Bay) Books, Inc.; Diesel; Moe's Books; Walden
Pond; (SF) Modern Times. (Only $15 tickets are
available at bookstores).

No one turned away for lack of funds.

Benefit for MECA's Maia Project: Clean Water for the
Children of Palestine

Wheelchair accessible & ASL interpreted.

Cosponsors:

KPFA, Arab Film Festival, Arab Resource & Organizing
Center, US Palestinian Community Network, Arab Cultural
& Community Center, Jewish Voice for Peace, Bay Area
Women in Black, International Jewish Anti-Zionist
Network, Global Exchange.

******************

Science & Society Special 75th Anniversary Celebration
Friday, October 14, 7:30 p.m.

Dear Friend,

As you probably know, Vol. 76, No. 1 of *Science &
Society* is in production, which means that we have
completed 75 years -- three quarters of a century! -- of
continuous publication of first-order research in Marxist
theory, philosophy and historical/cultural studies.  This
is a remarkable achievement, and one that is unique,
worldwide.

We are celebrating (as well we should!) by holding a
special 75th Anniversary Party, on *Friday, October 14*,
at the Brecht Forum in New York City.   The Brecht Forum
is at West Street between Bank and Bethune, just south of
14th Street on the far west side of Manhattan.  You will
find a map and other directions at brechtforum.org.  Join
us at 7:30; program begins at 8.

Planning is just getting under way.  The keynote speaker
will be Dr. Gerald Horne, a long-time member of our
Editorial Board and a prolific social and cultural
historian.  Many recent authors, from several continents,
will be present, and will be introduced and honored for
their contributions.  We have several musical and artistic
components lined up; it is too soon to announce them, but
be assured that this will be a memorable event --
politically, intellectually, culturally . . . and
gastronomically!

As the capitalist economic and social crisis deepens
across the globe, it is important to mark our victories
and achievements.  S&S is just one small one, but you have
played a part in it, and the cumulative impact of that is,
well, incalculable.  So let’s celebrate!

In solidarity,

The *Science & Society* Editorial Board

******************

September 28, 2011

Dear Friend,

 From the beginning, CODEPINK has highlighted the horrific
cost of war on women and reminded leaders that women are
essential to peace talks and post-conflict resolution
world wide. We are thrilled that PBS is launching a
groundbreaking five part series, Women, War & Peace, the
most comprehensive global media initiative ever mounted
on the roles of women in war and peace. Airing on
Thursdays, beginning October 11, Women, War & Peace
features narrators Matt Damon, Tilda Swinton, Geena Davis
and Alfre Woodard, and offers an excellent opportunity
for us to engage our larger community in our work to
Create, Not Hate.

Can you host or attend a viewing party for this important
and powerful series? This kind of programming becomes even
more meaningful when you can watch and discuss it with
other people.

CODEPINK is continuing our own global dialogues on Women,
War & Peace as the ignominious tenth anniversary of the
Afghan War approaches. We discussed the havoc wreaked on
Iraq with Dr. Rashad Zaydan, our friend from Iraqi
Knowledge for Women Society. We're discussing the
situation in Afghanistan with Afghan Women's Mission and
international human rights lawyer Tzili Mor. And we remain
in the streets - in Liberty Plaza near Wall Street, in Los
Angeles outside Obama fundraisers, in San Francisco as
part of the Moving Planet rally and across the country.

Come join us in Washington DC as we occupy Freedom Plaza
starting October 6. And don't forget to tell Obama to Make
Jobs, Not War, from the comfort of your own home.

Onward towards peace with justice,
Alli, C.J., Farida, Gayle, Heather, Janet, Jean, Jodie,
Kristen, Lisa, Nancy, Medea, Melanie, Rae, Sanaa, and
Tighe