PORTSIDE  September 2011, Week 3

PORTSIDE September 2011, Week 3

The GOP's Deep Hatred of the Working Class

Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:02:23 -0400

Shameless Opposition to the Jobs Bill Reveals The GOP's Deep
Hatred of the Working Class

by Carl Davidson
Keep On Keepin' On
September 14, 2011

http://carldavidson.blogspot.com/

If you want to have your class consciousness raised a few
notches, all you have to do over the next few weeks is
listen to the Republicans in Congress offer up their
shameless commentary rejecting President's Obama's jobs
bill.

This week's doozy came from Texas Congressman Louie Gohmert,
who was outraged that capitalists were being restricted from
discriminating in hiring the unemployed, in favor of only
hiring people who already had jobs elsewhere. I kid you not.
Here's the quote:

"We're adding in this bill a new protected class called
'unemployed,'" Gohmert declared in the House Sept. 13, 2011.
"I think this will help trial lawyers who are not having
enough work. We heard from our friends across the aisle, 14
million people out of work -- that's 14 million new
clients."

One hardly knows were to begin.

First, the Jobs Bill does no such thing as creating a 'new
protected class.' It only curbs a wrongly discriminatory
practice.

Second, so what if it did? Americans who uphold the
Constitution, the 14th Amendment' equal protection clause,
and the expansion of democracy and the franchise generally,
will see the creation of 'protected classes' as hard-won
progressive steps forward from the times of the Divine Right
of Kings.

Third, if Gohmert had any first-hand knowledge of the
unemployed, he'd know they usually can't afford lawyers,
especially when the courts are stacked against them.

Fourth, to create even more confusion, Gohmert raced to the
House clerk to submit his own 'Jobs Bill' before Obama's,
but with a similar name. Its content was a hastily scribbled
two-page screed consisting of nothing but cuts in corporate
taxes.

What's really going on here is becoming clearer every day.
The GOP cares about one thing: destroying Obama's presidency
regardless of the cost. They don't even care if its hurts
capitalism's own interests briefly, not to mention damaging
the well being of everyone else. Luckily, Obama is finally
calling them out in public- although far too politely for my
taste.

The irony will likely emerge if and when they ever do take
Obama down. I'd bet good money that a good number of the GOP
bigwigs would then turn on a dime and support many of the
same measures they're now opposing.

But most of them, especially the far right, would still
likely press on with their real aim, a full-throated
neoliberal reactionary thrust that repeals the Great
Society's Medicaid and Medicare, the New Deal's Social
Security and Wagner Act, and every progressive measure in
between.  Their idea of making the U.S labor market
'competitive' and U.S. business 'confident' is to make the
whole country more like Texas, with its record volume of
minimum wage work and poverty, and then Texas more like
Mexico-the race to the bottom. They're not happy with 12%
unionization; they want zero percent, where all of us are
defenseless and completely under the thumbs of our
'betters'.

In brief, prepare for more wars and greater austerity.

If you think I'm exaggerating, over the next months observe
how the national GOP is trying to rig the 2012 elections in
Pennsylvania, Michigan and a few other big states. Our
Electoral College system is bad enough, but they are going
to 'reform' it to make it worse by attaching electoral votes
to congressional districts, rather than statewide popular
majorities. This would mean Obama could win the popular vote
statewide, but the majority of electoral votes would still
go to the GOP. Add that to their new 'depress the vote'
requirements involving picture IDs, which are aimed at the
poor and the elderly, and you'll see their fear and hatred
of the working class.

We've always had government with undue advantages for the
rich. But just watch them in this round as they go all out
to make it even more so. We have to call it out for what it
really is, and put their schemes where the sun doesn't
shine.

[Carl Davidson - Raccoon Township, Aliquippa, Pennsylvania,
United States -- Public Speaker, Writer, Political Activist,
CCDS Co-Chair, Solidarity Economy Field Organizer,
Webmaster, 3rd Wave Study Group Founder, Retired but never
busier]