PORTSIDE  September 2011, Week 3

PORTSIDE September 2011, Week 3

Stop the Execution of Troy Davis,- Global Day of Solidarity this Friday, Sept. 16 - Half Million Signatures Delivered Today

Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:01:48 -0400

Stop the Execution of Troy Davis,- Global Day of Solidarity
this Friday, Sept. 16 - Half Million Signatures Delivered
Today

* Angela Davis: Stop the execution of Troy Davis, set for
Sept. 21
* More than half a million signatures delivered today
  Equal Justice USA (EJUSA))
* Stand strong, stand together on the Global Day of
  Solidarity for Troy Davis this Friday, Sept. 16!
  Short video featuring Troy's sister Martina Davis-Correia
* Major organizations condemn the scheduled execution of
Troy Davis
* How you can help stop the execution of Troy Davis

==========

Stop the execution of Troy Davis, set for Sept. 21

by Angela Davis

San Francisco Bay View
September 12, 2011

http://sfbayview.com/2011/angela-davis-stop-the-execution-of-troy-davis-set-for-sept-21/

I urgently appeal to Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal and to the
members of the Georgia Board of Pardons and Parole - L. Gale
Buckner, Robert E. Keller, James E. Donald, Albert Murray
and Terry Barnard - to spare the life of Troy Davis, a young
African American citizen of your state.

I hope everyone within sight or sound of my words or my
voice will likewise urgently call and fax Gov. Neal and the
members of the board. Under Georgia law, only they can stop
the execution of Troy Davis.

First of all, there is very compelling evidence that Troy
Davis may be innocent of the murder of Police Officer Mark
MacPhail in 1989 in Savannah. The case against Davis has all
but collapsed: Seven of nine witnesses against him have
recanted their testimony and said that they were pressured
by police to lie, and nine other witnesses have implicated
one of the remaining two as the actual killer. No weapon or
physical evidence linking Davis to the murder was ever
found. No jury has ever heard this new information, and four
of the jurors who originally found him guilty have signed
statements in support of Mr. Davis.

More importantly, the planned execution of a likely innocent
young Black man in the state of Georgia has become a
terrible blot on the status of the United States in the
international community of nations. All modern industrial
and democratic nations and 16 states within the United
States have abolished capital punishment. The fact that the
overwhelming majority of the men and women on death rows
across the country are Black and other people of color - and
are universally poor - severely undermines our country's
standing in the eyes of the people of the world.

Most importantly, the execution of Troy Davis will
contribute to an atmosphere of violence and racism and a
devaluation of life itself within our country. If we can
execute anyone, especially a man who may be innocent of any
crime, it fosters disrespect for the law and life itself.
This exacerbates every social problem at a time when the
people of our country face some of the most difficult
challenges regarding our economic security and future.

I urge everyone to join with me in urging Gov. Neal and the
Georgia Board of Pardons and Parole to stay the execution of
Troy Davis and commute his death sentence. Give this young
man a life and an opportunity to prove his innocence.

Please, call, fax or email today. Stop the execution of Troy
Davis!

	* Gov. Nathan Deal: phone (404) 651-1776, fax (404)
	657-7332, email [log in to unmask],
	web contact form
	http://gov.state.ga.us/contact.shtml

	* Georgia Board of Parsons and Parole: phone (404)
	656-5651, fax (404) 651-8502

[Legendary freedom fighter Angela Y. Davis, now retired from
the U.C. Santa Cruz faculty, is the founder of Critical
Resistance, which can be reached at 1904 Franklin St., Suite
504, Oakland, CA 94612, phone (510) 444-0484, fax (510)
444-2177, email [log in to unmask] ]

==========

More than half a million signatures delivered today

Hundreds of thousands of individuals just like you have
joined the chorus of Americans who know there is too much
doubt to execute Troy Davis! At 10:30a this morning our
friends at Amnesty International delivered 650,000 petition
signatures to the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Parole
asking them to stop the execution. If you already signed
EJUSA's petition, your signature was among those received by
the board today. Thank YOU!
http://yfrog.com/kk0bj8j

What's been done:

    * More than 650,000 signatures have been collected by a
    national network of organizations working to prevent the
    Troy Davis execution from moving forward. The Board is
    holding Davis' clemency hearing on Monday, September
    19th.

    * Our friends at People of Faith Against the Death
    Penalty have received more than 3,400 signatures on
    their faith leader sign on letter. They believe this
    letter contains the largest number of endorsements from
    faith leaders on this type of action in our country's
    recent history. Faith leaders from every state and from
    every major faith tradition, have joined this call!
    Faith leaders can still add their support today!    http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/1576/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=5928

    * The media and prominent politicians and celebrities
    have spoken out. The list of prominent supporters
    includes former President Jimmy Carter, South African
    Archbishop Desmond Tutu, more than four dozen Members of
    Congress, Russell Simmons, Joan Baez, Steve Earle, Cee-
    Lo Green, Tom Morello, John Legend and Harry Belafonte,
    and actors Miriam Margolyes, Tim Roth, Mike Farrell,
    Susan Sarandon, Jared Leto, and Mia Farrow.

What you can do now:

    * Attend or organize a local event TOMORROW, September
    16th, a global day of action. Our friends at Amnesty
    International are keeping a full list of activities,
    find out if there is one in your area!
    http://www.amnestyusa.org/troyevents/
    Actions come in all shapes and sizes - a rally at the
    state capitol, handing out flyers at a street fair, or
    even hosting friends at your home to watch the Troy
    Davis videos.    http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/cases/usa-troy-davis/watch-videos-examining-the-troy-davis-case
    If there isn't an event in your area and you are able to
    put one together, please let us know.

    * Join in the discussion on Twitter by retweeting our
    #TooMuchDoubt tweets. We've been sharing a new fact
    about Davis' case every day at www.twitter.com/ejusa. We
    will also be following the actions taking place in the
    next few days as well as the clemency hearing next week.

    * If you haven't signed the petition or you have friends
    who haven't yet signed, you can still send a letter
    directly to the parole board at www.ejusa.org/troydavis.
    Please share, tweet, and post this link on Facebook to
    keep it going.

We will continue to keep you informed about the important
news and actions related to Troy's execution over the next
week. This is an important opportunity for each of us to
educate our friends, family, and coworkers about one of the
most terrifying flaws of the death penalty system- the very
real possibility that we will execute an innocent person.

We want to thank you again for your support and action!

Towards Justice,

Emma
on behalf of all of EJUSA

Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a national leader in the
movement to halt executions. We work state by state to train
and empower grassroots leaders to advocate for a more fair
and humane criminal justice system. Will you help us build
this movement?

Equal Justice USA
20 Jay Street, Suite 808
Brooklyn, NY 11201
718-801-8940

==========

http://youtu.be/1DGqRFM443Y

==========

Major organizations condemn the scheduled execution of Troy
Davis

From the National Association for the Advancement of Colored
People (NAACP): "After reviewing the evidence, I am
convinced that Troy Davis is an innocent man," stated NAACP
President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous. "It is appalling to
me that with so much doubt surrounding this case, Mr. Davis
is set to be executed in 14 days [now only nine days].
Justice will never be served by the state-sanctioned murder
of an innocent man."

From Amnesty International USA: In the state of Georgia, the
Board of Pardons and Paroles holds the keys to Troy's fate.
In the days before Davis' execution, this board will hold a
final clemency hearing - a final chance to prevent Troy
Davis from being executed. One witness said in a CNN news
interview, "If I knew then, what I know now, Troy Davis
would not be on death row." It's difficult to believe that a
system of justice could be so terribly flawed, but keep in
mind that Troy has survived three previous execution dates,
because people like you kept the justice system in check!

==========

How you can help stop the execution of Troy Davis

Take action on the Global Day of Solidarity for Troy Davis,
Friday, Sept. 16: On Friday, Sept. 16, everyone is urged to
pour out onto the streets to demand justice for Troy Davis.
Post pictures, local news stories, Facebook posts, videos,
blogs, tweets and re-tweets on Twitter and any other visible
signs of solidarity for Troy.

This date was chosen because the following Monday, the
Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles will hold Troy's final
clemency hearing - our final chance to prevent Troy Davis
from being executed. All Troy's supporters need you there.
Troy needs you there.

** Oakland: Outreach and Rally Friday, Sept. 16, 4-6 p.m.,
Oakland Federal Building, 1301 Clay St., near 12th Street-
City Center BART. For more information, call (510) 589-6820
or email [log in to unmask]

** Atlanta: March Friday, Sept. 16, 6 p.m., assembling at
Woodruff Park, Peachtree and Edgewood, and concluding at
Ebenezer Baptist Church, 407 Auburn Ave., with a service
featuring national civil rights, community and religious
leaders, Martina Correia and other family members of Troy
Davis, and exonerated prisoners

** New York City: Emergency Demonstration Friday, Sept. 16,
4:30-6 p.m., Times Square, 43rd Street and Seventh Avenue.

The growing range of scholars, world leaders and prominent
figures who are also demanding justice - including former
President Jimmy Carter, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, John
Legend, R.E.M., Russell Simmons, Mia Farrow, Indigo Girls, a
former governor of Texas and a former member of Congress
from Georgia - is simply awe-inspiring.

The outpouring of support you've shown for Troy Davis so far
has been phenomenal - more than 100,000 of you have signed
the petition for clemency and nearly 500 events have popped
up in small towns and big cities alike all over the United
States. Supporters from countries in the U.K., France,
Denmark, Brazil, Hong Kong and Australia have also joined in
to lend their voices.

Find many more ways to help stop the execution of Troy Davis
and to learn more about his case by visiting

    Troy Anthony Davis, his family's website
    http://troyanthonydavis.org/
    NAACP Too Much Doubt Campaign    http://www.naacp.org/blog/entry/toomuchdoubt-a-campaign-to-save-troy-davis-life
    Amnesty International Too Much Doubt Campaign    http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/cases/usa-troy-davis?id=1701026
    Educators for Troy `Teach Troy Davis' Emergency
    Curriculum for Educators
    http://troydaviseducation.wordpress.com/
    Georgians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
    http://www.gfadp.org/
    National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
    http://www.ncadp.org/#Troy_Front_Page
    Campaign to End the Death Penalty
    http://www.nodeathpenalty.org/

Write to Troy: Send our brother Troy some love and light.
Troy Anthony Davis, 41, has been on death row in Georgia for
more than 19 years: Troy A. Davis, 657378, GDCP G-3-79, P.O.
Box 3877, Jackson GA 30233.

Innocence matters. Justice matters to everyone. Act now. To
make the biggest impact, we all need to join together.