PORTSIDE  September 2011, Week 3

PORTSIDE September 2011, Week 3

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

Sat, 17 Sep 2011 16:32:45 -0400

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
September 11, 2011

'[Rick] Perry's Silicon Valley appearance attracted
hoards of top Silicon Valley executives, venture
capitalists and business people to the hotel, where
luxury cars -- Jaguars, Lamborghinis, Masaratis and an
army of Mercedes Benzes -- vied for room out front by
the time it started.

'The governor spent about 3 hours inside, addressing
the crowds who paid from $1,000 to $5,000 to meet and
have their pictures taken with him.

'Tad Taube, a major area philanthropist and investor,
was among the impressed attendees. He came away saying
Perry made the sale. "I like the fact that he's not
ashamed of the greatness of our country,'' said Taube,
who said he discussed cowboy hats with the governor
among other things. "He has the right answers on some
very serious foreign and domestic issues".'

San Francisco Chronicle
September 11, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3wkhk5a

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3j47skq
Milestone
Tony Auth

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
September 12, 2011

'Our problems today are with the Tory-Lib Dem pantomime
horse which is flirting with new anti-union laws, but
it would be dishonest - nonsensical - to pretend that
this is not in some measure a bipartisan problem.

'The fact that we came to an end of 13 years of Labour
government with the Thatcher laws still in place is a
stain on Labour's record, and a betrayal of its
historic mission and purpose of advancing working
people's rights.

'Law is an essential thing for a civilised society, of
course, but class law, pushed through a parliament full
of expense cheats by a cobbled-together coalition which
no one voted for is not going to paralyse me and it
should not paralyse our movement.'

Len McCluskey, general secretary
of Unite, Britian's largest union
with 1.5 million members

The Independent (UK)
September 12, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3chcwkb

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/42awzct
Jobs Bill
Signe Wilkinson

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
September 13, 2011

'And now it's all coming to a head. We're not talking
about a crisis that will unfold over a year or two;
this thing could come apart in a matter of days. And if
it does, the whole world will suffer.'

Economist Paul Krugman
on the financial turmoil
in Europe
New York Times
September 12, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/6y7os63

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/6ev9cv4
Tea Party Debate
David Horsey - Seattle PI

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
September 15, 2011

'Let me then speak directly to humanist liberals. If my
facts are wrong, I will soon be corrected. But if they
are right, then you may face a crisis of conscience.
Corporatism or humanism: which? For it has come to
that. Will you let your dreams be used? Will you be a
grudging apologist for the corporate state? Or will you
help try to change it-not in the name of this or that
blueprint or ism, but in the name of simple human
decency and democracy and the vision that wise and
brave men saw in the time of our own revolution?

'And if your commitment to human values is
unconditional, then disabuse yourselves of the notion
that statements will bring change, if only the right
statements can be written, or that interviews with the
mighty will bring change if only the mighty can be
reached, or that marches will bring change if only we
can make them massive enough, or that policy proposals
will bring change if only we can make them responsible
enough.

'We are dealing now with a colossus that does not want
to be changed. It will not change itself. It will not
cooperate with those who want to change it. Those
allies of ours in the government-are they really our
allies? If they are, then they don't need advice, they
need constituencies; they don't need study groups, they
need a movement. And it they are not, then all the more
reason for building that movement with the most
relentless conviction.

'There are people in this country today who are trying
to build that movement, who aim at nothing less than a
humanist reformation. And the humanist liberals must
understand that it is this movement with which their
own best hopes are most in tune. We radicals know the
same history that you liberals know, and we can
understand your occasional cynicism, exasperation, and
even distrust. But we ask you to put these aside and
help us risk a leap. Help us find enough time for the
enormous work that needs doing here. Help us build.
Help us shape the future in the name of plain human
hope.'

Carl Oglesby, former leader of Students for a Democratic
Society. Address to tens of thousands of antiwar
demonstrators in Washington, D.C. November 27, 1965
truthdig
September 14, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3px6gcd

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3hdhr8m
Take Me to Your Leaders
Tom Tomorrow
[click on image to enlarge]

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
September 15, 2011

'In other words, the proposal to raise the age of
Medicare eligibility to 67 is a proposal to increase
health care costs to our children and grandchildren by
$2.7 trillion. The idea that this cut is being
presented as somehow helping our children is a sick
joke that would only be taken seriously in Washington
political circles.'

Economist Dean Baker
truthout
September 11, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3t4jxyj

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3dvep32
Bank of America
Mike Thompson

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
September 16, 2011

'Poverty for Americans age 18 to 64 is at a record
high: at 13.7 percent. It's highest poverty rate for
this age group that the Census has on record since
1959. (The next highest rates for this group happened
in 2009, then 1983.) By contrast, the poverty rate for
seniors is at a record low: in 2009, it was at 8.9
percent, and it's remained essentially flat since then.
Why? It seems that Social Security has provided a
safety net that's weathered the recession: without this
income, the poverty rate for Americans over 65 would
have risen by 13.8 million, the Census says.

'And as bad as things look for other age groups, the
safety net has also prevented even more younger
Americans from falling into poverty: without
unemployment insurance benefits, the poverty rate for
other adults would have risen by 2.3 million and
children by 900,000.'

Entitled to Know
"The Truth About Social Security and
Medicare"
September 16, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3ghbar7

Toon of the Day

http://tinyurl.com/3bmpxak
Capital Punishment
Rob Rogers

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
September 17, 2011

'I found it peculiar that, even though the Americans
have significantly worse fundamental data than the euro
zone, that they tell us what we should do. I had
expected that, when he tells us how he sees the world,
that he would listen to what we have to say.'

Maria Fekter, the finance minister
of Austria, following meeting
Friday morning, in which U.S.Treasury
Secretary Timothy F. Geithner appeared