PORTSIDE  July 2011, Week 4

PORTSIDE July 2011, Week 4

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 15:42:28 -0400

REWIND - A Week of Quotes & Cartoons

SUNDAY

Quote of the Day
July 17, 2011

'Should any political party attempt to abolish social
security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor
laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that
party again in our political history. There is a tiny
splinter group, of course, that believes you can do
these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly
know his background), a few other Texas oil
millionaires, and an occasional politician or business
man from other areas. Their number is negligible and
they are stupid.'

Former President Dwight David Eisenhower
Letter to Edgar Newton Eisenhower
November 8, 1954
http://tinyurl.com/3fuavzu

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3ckwcec
Bush Years
Tony Auth- Philadelphia Inquirer

MONDAY

Quote of the Day
July 18, 2011

'Any politicians eager to find savings by denying poor
people access to Medicaid should recognize that they
will be harming the health and financial well-being of
highly vulnerable Americans. Expanding Medicaid will
increase spending in the short run. But the nation will
benefit from a healthier, more productive population
that, in the long run, may have less need for costly
medical services.'

Editorial
New York Times
July 18, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/4yxkbg5

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/44oxswd
Kong
Peter Schrack - The Independent (UK)

TUESDAY

Quote of the Day
July 19, 2011

'Murdoch also said he was not informed that his company
had paid out big sums - 700,000 pounds ($1.1 million)
in one case - to settle lawsuits by phone hacking
victims.

'James Murdoch said his father became aware of the
settlement "in 2009 after a newspaper report. It was a
confidential settlement".'

Associated Press
July 19, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3ccp7uw

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3rfxpf4
Scotland Yard
Tony  Auth - Philadelphia Inquirer

WEDNESDAY

Quote of the Day
July 20, 2011

'Today the so-called "Gang of Six" published a draft
report that acknowledges the solvency of Social
Security, but incorporates it into a deficit reduction
plan anyway.

'This latest bipartisan plan to reduce the deficit says
on one hand that it will "reform Social Security on a
separate track, isolated from deficit reduction." On
the other hand if 'Social Security reform' gets sixty
votes in the Senate, then it would be combined into a
single bill with the deficit reduction plan. If the
Social Security bill does not get 60 votes the deficit
reduction bill is "vitiated" or made invalid.

'So an undefined Social Security "reform" starts out on
a separate track, joins the track of the deficit
reduction bill, which lacking 60 votes becomes a train
wreck.

'Why are members of Congress and the Administration
continuing to mix the "75 year solvency" of Social
Security with the deficit, when Social Security, by the
report of its own trustees, has enough resources to pay
100% of benefits through 2036, without any changes
whatsoever? Who or what is driving this effort to
simultaneously insist that Social Security reform is
'isolated from deficit reduction' and that deficit
reduction depends upon Social Security reform?'

Dennis Kucinich (D - Ohio)
'More Washington Doublespeak on Social Security'
July 19, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3vssqpc

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3kyasah
High Stakes
Signe Wilkinson

THURSDAY

Quote of the Day
July 21. 2011

'This terrible plan could cut Medicare and Medicaid to
unsustainably low levels and put seniors' well-being at
risk. Anyone who wants to pass it through Congress
should remember that more than 70 House Democrats have
already pledged their opposition, and more are signing
on every day. The letter we sent to Leader Pelosi July
8 vowing to oppose any cuts to Social Security,
Medicare or Medicaid as part of these budget
negotiations has become a growing wave of House resolve
to protect these programs. We're keeping it open for
more signatures, and our Gang of 70-plus has the `Gang
of Six' completely outnumbered. Newly minted Rep.
Janice Hahn signed on as one of her first official acts
as a Congresswoman - that's how quickly it's picking up
momentum.

'Republicans have already said they won't vote for any
package, period, because of their opposition to a
functional economy. House Democrats hold the key to
whatever plan can pass Congress. That's why the Senate
`Gang of Six' proposal is dead on arrival. Instead of
toying with ways to slash vital programs in just such a
way as to make different budget numbers align on paper,
Congress and the White House should follow the path of
our People's Budget: creating jobs, protecting Social
Security, Medicare and Medicaid, ending corporate
subsidies and millionaire tax giveaways, and ensuring
our economy works for everyone rather than a greedy
few.'

Rep. Raul M. Grijalva
Congressional Progressive Caucus
(CPC) co-chair
'House "Gang of 70-Plus" to Senate "Gang
of Six": We Outnumber Your Plan to Slash Medicare,
Medicaid and Social Security''
July 20, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3u2bvyb

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/3h8lysb
Not Me
Pat Oliphant

FRIDAY

Quote of the Day
July 22, 2011

'These are interesting times - and I mean that in the
worst way. Right now we're looking at not one but two
looming crises, either of which could produce a global
disaster. In the United States, right-wing fanatics in
Congress may block a necessary rise in the debt
ceiling, potentially wreaking havoc in world financial
markets. Meanwhile, if the plan just agreed to by
European heads of state fails to calm markets, we could
see falling dominoes all across southern Europe - which
would also wreak havoc in world financial markets.'

'We can only hope that the politicians huddled in
Washington and Brussels succeed in averting these
threats. But here's the thing: Even if we manage to
avoid immediate catastrophe, the deals being struck on
both sides of the Atlantic are almost guaranteed to
make the broader economic slump worse.'

Economist Paul Krugman
New York Times
July 22, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3h428g7

Toon of the Day
http://tinyurl.com/42qzlku
Unseemly Spectacle
Ed Stein

SATURDAY

Quote of the Day
July 23, 2011

'Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and
Policy Research (CEPR), notes that JP Morgan CEO Jamie
Dimon and Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein would save
approximately $2 million to $3 million on their tax
bills.  But in 20 years, a 90-year-old living on a
Social Security income of $15,000 would lose more than
$1,200 a year in benefits.

'How's that a "bargain" for this nation and who exactly
finds it "grand"? '

Katrina vanden Heuvel
Editor - The Nation
July 20, 2011