PORTSIDE  July 2011, Week 4

PORTSIDE July 2011, Week 4

Tidbits, Reader Response & Announcements

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 14:58:33 -0400

Tidbits - July 23, 2011

- Re: Murdoch Scandal Has Exposed the Scale of Elite
  Corruption; Murdoch Empire Suffocates the Craft of
  Journalism (Laurel MacDowell)
- Can Urban Agriculture Feed a Hungry World?
- Re: "Well, It is An Occupation!" (Ken Ivens)
- Re: Tar Sands Protest in DC (Elizabeth Randolph)
- Tom Morello (The NightWatchman) at Teasmsters Convention
  - video (Jay  Schaffner)
- Jon Fromer - Activist Singer Performs in the Northwest

==========

- Re: Murdoch Scandal Has Exposed the Scale of Elite
Corruption; Murdoch Empire Suffocates the Craft of
Journalism (2 posts)

These are excellent articles. I thought the questioning by
British MPs of the Murdochs and their ex-editor was
pathetic. Murdoch cannot have it both ways. If he is the man
to head his empire, he should take responsibility and
undoubtedly he did know what was going on. He should resign.
But he says he did not know what his managers were doing in
which case he is not running his business adequately, is not
the man for the job and should step down.

Undoubtedly there is corruption and collusion but much more
widespread is the simple venality of people who do things
they know are wrong for money, or to avoid flack, or to
social climb. We need stronger individuals with integrity
who are not cowed and stand up for what they believe in and
to maintain their own integrity.

As for Murdoch himself, he is a totally self-interested,
ruthless individual who is among the prominent free market
fundamentalists who do not believe in any kind of
regulation, or strong governments providing services and
protecting the public interest and who in the last 30 years
have done enormous damage. The rich are getting richer,
large companies are plundering the planet and ruining the
environment and sponsoring denial of climate change which
affects us all. It is time to challenge such people. We need
to elect representatives who believe in democracy, will
support the public interest and governments who provide
improved services to people (pensions, medical care,
education, environmental protection). The media like every
other large industry should work within a regulatory
framework that has social and environmental standards. The
companies should also pay taxes like the rest of us. The
shrinking middle classes and the poor have taken on much too
much of the burden for too long. As for the bullying of
employees in the Murdoch empire, at some point people have
to stand up for their rights, build unions, start lawsuits
or class actions, use social media and start to make their
own lives and those of their co-workers better.

Courage my friends is what we all need and determination to
turn all of these problems around so that assholes like this
media titan do not push people around.

Laurel MacDowell

==========

Can Urban Agriculture Feed a Hungry World?

By Fabian Kretschmer and Malte E. Kollenberg
Spiegel (Germany)
July 22, 2011

Agricultural researchers believe that building indoor
farms in the middle of cities could help solve the
world's hunger problem. Experts say that vertical
farming could feed up to 10 billion people and make
agriculture independent of the weather and the need for
land. There's only one snag: The urban farms need huge
amounts of energy.

One day, Choi Kyu Hong might find himself in a
vegetable garden on the 65th floor of a skyscraper.
But, so far, his dream of picking fresh vegetables some
200 meters (655 feet) up has only been realized in
hundreds of architectural designs.

Read on:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,775754,00.html

==========

- Re: "Well, It is An Occupation!"

Dear Mr. Fletcher,

I read your article with great interest.

My question is why didn't Yasser Arafat take the deal Bill
Clinton offered back in 1999/2000?  Wasn't that a huge
mistake?  What was he thinking when he refused to sign?

Ken Ivens

==========

- Re: Tar Sands Protest in DC

On August 20, 2011, we will begin our demonstration in front
of the White House, practicing peaceful civil disobedience
to oppose to the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline. This is a
challenge.

We're already on our way to making this the largest
collective act of civil disobedience in the history of the
American climate movement - over 1,000 people have signed up
to join the sit-in. That's an impressive number of people
coming together to do something hard - take a legal risk in
Washington's swampy heat to stop this monster project.
we're now aiming to double that number to 2,000 before the
action begins in August.

But even this might not be enough. The tar sands industry is
upping their pressure: just this week they bought up more
high-powered Washington lobbyists, and are ramping up their
PR machine to push President Obama into making the worst
climate decision of his Presidency.

Just the other day, Harriet, a New Jersey mother of two
reached out with a blog post she wrote about visiting her
native Alberta, where she saw the tar sands up close:

"A week after I visited the Canadian Tar Sands 'to see for
myself' what that area is all about, I received emails from
several of my friends and colleagues, encouraging me to join
them in Washington, DC for a 'peaceful protest' against the
proposed pipeline that would carry tar sands oil from
Alberta, Canada to Texas...

I am signed up for a Tar Sands protest at the White House in
Washington, DC that has the potential to get the protesters
arrested. Do I feel this cause is important enough to take
these risks? YES I do. I hope my kids will be proud of me,
and that it builds on my legacy and actions to try to raise
awareness to the growing reality of climate change that is
threatening my children's future and mine. I want to WAKE UP
my neighbors, friends, colleagues and total strangers by
showing them that a mom of two `tweens thinks that these
risks are worth it."

Elizabeth Randolph

- Tom Morello (The NightWatchman) at Teasmsters Convention

"Need to Stop the War on the Workers of America - Need to
make this a country of working people, for working people"

This is incredible - Tom Morello from Rage Against the
Machine. Labor on the move in Wisconsin, Ohio, and here at
the Teamster's Convention.

Debut of new song --
World-wide Rebel Songs
Sing out Loud, All Night Long
Hang on Man, It Won't Be Long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhYRAtqMH0
16:21

This is a new labor movement.

Jay Schaffner

=========

- Jon Fromer - Activist Singer Performs in the Northwest

    "GONNA TAKE US ALL to make a change
    Take us all to win the peace
    It's gonna take us all in the streets
    Gonna take us all ..."

August 5
Washington State Labor Council Convention
Friday
DoubleTree Hilton at SeaTac
18740 International Blvd, Seattle, WA

August 6
Keystone Church
Saturday 7:30 pm
5019 Keystone Place, Seattle, WA

August 9
VDLC Labour Cabaret
Tuesday 6:30pm
Prophouse Cafe
1636 Venables St., Vancouver, BC
(Sponsored by Public Service Alliance of Canada)

August 11
Cottage Bistro
Thursday 8pm
4470 Main St., Vancouver,  BC