PORTSIDE  September 2010, Week 4

PORTSIDE September 2010, Week 4

Tidbits & Announcements

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:52:19 -0400

Tidbits & Announcements

1) Buddy Collette Dies
2) Day of Action to Confront
   U.S. Militarism
3) GRITtv with Laura Flanders
4) Coffee Party Convenes
_______________

(1)

Buddy Collette, L.A. Jazz Musician & Activist, Dies
at 89

Los Angeles Times September 21, 2019

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2010/09/buddy-collette-la-jazz-musician-and-activist-dies-at-89.html

Collette One of the key figures on the Los Angeles jazz
scene, Buddy Collette was a saxophonist, flautist,
bandleader and educator who also worked as an advocate
for the rights of African American musicians.

Collette passed away on Sunday at the age of 89 at
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in L.A. He had suffered
shortness of breath a day earlier, according to his
daughter Cheryl Collette-White.

During his lengthy career, Collette performed and
recorded with such notable musicians as Frank Sinatra,
Charlie Parker, Nat "King" Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke
Ellington and more.

Away from the stage, Collette was active in the local
labor movement, and in 1953, he was one of the key
people who helped to integrate the then all-African
American musicians union Local 767 and the all-white
Local 47.

In 2000, Collette published his memoirs, "Jazz
Generations: A Life in American Music and Society."

Read the full Times obituary on Buddy Collette:
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-buddy-collette-20100921,0,4622077.story

(2)

October 11, 2010: Day of Action to Confront U.S.
Militarism

SOS Watrch
September 24, 2010

http://soaw.org/take-action/november-vigil

Organize an event or protest in your community and
mobilize for the November Vigil and Action in Georgia.

As part of the Latin America Solidarity Coalition, SOA
Watch invites you to join the National Day of Action to
Confront US Militarism in the Americas. October 11 is
the day the United States "celebrates" the beginning of
the European invasion of the Americas and indigenous
peoples mark as the 518th year of resistance to
invasion and colonialism.

The November Vigil at the gates of Fort Benning is less
than 2 months away and local events like the October 11
Day of Action are a great opportunity to mobilize your
community to arrange car shares or bus trips to the
vigil in Georgia.

Other upcoming events in the lead-up to the November
vigil and action:

- Activists in NYC are preparing for a march in
solidarity with the Resistance of Honduras and against
the repressive regime of Porfirio Lobo Sosa at the
United Nations tomorrow.

- On Saturday, October 2, 2010, hundreds of thousands
of people from across America will gather at the
Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. for the One Nation
March, which has been endorsed by SOA Watch.

- SOA Watch South Florida just won a lawsuit against
protest restrictions at the U.S. Southern Command
(U.S.SOUTHCOM) in Miami and is planning a rally at the
gates of U.S.SOUTHCOM on November 7, 2010.

Join the movement - organize events, protests, film
screenings or concerts in your community and spread the
word about the November 19-21, 2010 Vigil and Direct
Action.

(3)

Special Announcements from GRITtv with Laura Flanders

From GRITtv

September 24, 2010
http://www.grittv.org/

Dear friends!

Welcome to the fall!  At GRITtv, the season's already
off to a running start, and we wanted to fill you in on
our news, including some major announcements!

I'm just back from Barnard and the New York Women's
Foundation's Critical Intersections conference on
reproductive and economic justice which featured many
regular GRITtv guests. [http://nywf.org/]GRITtv and the
NYWF arepioneering a unique partnership - about which
you'll hear much more soon.

Changing gears to the arts, near Harlem this weekend?
Come to Harlem Stage,[http://www.harlemstage.org/
Saturday, where I'll be appearing with GRITtv veterans
Toshi Reagon, Gordon Chambers, and Carl Hancock Rux in
a celebration of art and activism.Join us on 9/25 at
9:30 pm in Aaron Davis Hall!

And this Monday,  9/ 27, come talk it out with me,
JLove Calderon and others as we join GRITtv guest-host
Esther Armah for a panel, "Ladies of the Left: White
Women Talk White Privilege, Progressive Media & Anti-
Racism," at the Brecht Forum.

Finally - big news - GRITtv will be joining Free Speech
TV in DC 10-2-10, co-hosting with Thom Hartmann six
hours of live coverage of the One Nation March. If you
can't make it to DC, you can watch, live, online at
GRITtv.org, FreeSpeech.org, or on FSTV on Dish Network
3415 or - our newest syndicator - DirectTV 348.

We have much more coming up: including the launch of a
new investigative series - GRITtv Digs!

Stay in touch, and don't forget to tell your fiends
about our program. GRITtv with Laura Flanders - it's
the talk show for people who want to do more than
talk!!

Warmly

Laura and the GRITtv team.

(4)

Coffee Party Convention This Weekend!

By Jill Tubman
Jack & Jill Politics
September 25, 2010

http://www.jackandjillpolitics.com/2010/09/coffee-party-convention-this-weekend/?utm_

There's an alternative to the hate- and fear-based
divisive messaging of the Tea Party. There's a group of
people from every state in the nation who are red and
blue. Some of them are even white! But these people are
committed to civil dialogue, fact-based not fear-based
discussion and civic participation rather then hyper-
partisanship to solve the serious issues facing our
nation.

And that's the Coffee Party. http://www.coffeepartyusa.com/

They are meeting for the first time in Louisville
Kentucky from Sept 24-26 beginning today. Thousands of
people are coming from around the country to meet in
person after talking online. The Coffee Party is the
biggest grassroots movement you've never heard of - cuz
they ain't crazy!

It's not too late to register and participate! If you
don't live in Louisville, here's how you can
participate using the internets:

    We are LIVE STREAMING the convention from
    Louisville starting at 8:30 AM ET tomorrow
    (Friday). Convention participants, both in person
    and via webcast can interact via Twitter
    (#CoffeeParty), Facebook, on our convention
    website, main website and on our newly created
    Ustream channel.  We are especially excited about
    livestreaming the Mock Constitutional Convention on
    Saturday from 10:30am-4:30pm.

Speakers include:

Larry Lessig Mark McKinnon Frances Moore Lappé Dave
Rauschkolb Linda Killian Phil Lawson Joseph McCormick
Lt. Dan Choi Scott Paul Amy Kremer Zephyr Teachout Rich
Benjamin Billy Moyer Elisa Batista Dave Donnelly John
de Graaf Jeffrey Abelson John Feffer Jim Rough Col.
Morris Davis Kwazi Nkrumah Gennady Kolker Jim Lardner

Full disclosure: The Coffee Party is my company Fission
Strategy's first pro bono client - because we believe
in civil discourse and civic participation plus truth,
justice & the American way. One of my team members,
Katie Saddlemire, is speaking at the convention and I'm
very proud of that.

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]
Submit via the Web: portside.org/submit