PORTSIDE  August 2010, Week 2

PORTSIDE August 2010, Week 2

Mortgage Foreclosures, Housing, & the Economic Crisis

Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:25:35 -0400

Mortgage Foreclosures, Housing, and the Current Economic
Crisis

Los Angeles Coffee Party, Mortgage Foreclosures Task
Force
L.A. Progressive
August 12, 2010

http://www.laprogressive.com/economic-equality/mortgage-foreclosures/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+laprogressive+%28The+LA+Progressive%29

An economic "bubble" is a distortion in the economy that
occurs whenever a major commodity or service becomes
such an object of speculation that its' price
hyperinflates far beyond its' actual value. Such a trend
will only continue for a certain amount of time before
the bubble bursts, and prices begin to fall.
Unfortunately, one of the characteristics of a true
economic bubble is that it often sets off a chain
reaction throughout the economy, causing unusual
expansion while it is still growing, and massive losses
when it implodes. That is exactly what has happened with
the real estate market.

Frenzied buying and selling of homes, combined with a
shortage of available housing plus easy credit, led to
rapid increases in the market prices on all available
housing in the U.S. For years the banks, real estate
agents and investors in real estate securities on Wall
Street were making money hand-over-fist.

In the years leading up to the crisis, significant
amounts of foreign money flowed into the U.S. from fast-
growing economies in Asia and oil-producing countries.
This inflow of funds combined with low U.S. interest
rates from 2002-2004 contributed to easy credit
conditions, which fueled both housing and credit
bubbles. Loans of various types (e.g., mortgage, credit
card, and auto) were easy to obtain and consumers
assumed an unprecedented debt load. As part of the
housing and credit booms, the amount of financial
agreements called  mortgage-backed securities (MBS),
which derive their value from mortgage payments and
housing prices, greatly increased. Such financial
innovation enabled institutions and investors around the
world to invest in the U.S. housing market.

As more and more investment poured into the housing
market, especially into mortgage-backed securities, the
competition between banks and investment firms heated
up. Soon, the banks opened-up credit on loans to more
and more "sub-prime" borrowers-that is, borrowers who
would not ordinarily qualify for loans because they
didn't have enough financial resources on hand to
guarantee their ability to pay a loan off. The banks
felt secure that the seemingly endless flow of
investment funds and the constantly expanding economy
would cushion them against the the likelihood of
numerous defaults on these loans. Meanwhile, they would
milk these sub-prime borrowers for every penny they
could get.

Approximately 80% of U.S. mortgages issued to subprime
borrowers in the 2001-2006 years were adjustable-rate
mortgages. Adjustable-rate mortgages usually allow the
homeowner to pay low monthly rates for a specified
period of time (usually 1-3 years); after that , the
monthly rates go up. The increased rates are usually
based on increases in the general interest rates on the
market. The borrower is the one taking the greatest risk
in these kinds of loans, because even a small increase
in interest rates can translate into a major increase in
their monthly payment.

The borrowers usually convince themselves that they'll
be able to handle the increased rates by working more,
cutting corners, or whatever. And, as long as the market
value of homes keeps shooting up year by year, they may
have the option of refinancing their original loan or
taking out an "equity line of credit" (borrowing more
money from the bank based on the increased value of the
home, in order to help cover their costs), or, push-
come-to- shove, selling the home based on its increased
value, then re-buying a cheaper home with the profits,
while paying off the original mortgage. This was how the
game was really played-for those smart enough to figure
out "the rules".

After U.S. housing prices peaked in mid-2006 and began a
sharp decline thereafter, refinancing became more
difficult. As adjustable-rate mortgages began to reset
at higher rates, mortgage delinquencies soared. Because
of this, securities backed with subprime mortgages,
widely held by financial firms, lost most of their
value. The net result has been a large decline in the
capital of many banks and U.S. government sponsored
enterprises, tightening credit both in the U.S. and
around the world. Many banks and investment firms,
including some of the largest, have collapsed
altogether.

As U.S. housing prices declined, major foreign financial
institutions that had borrowed and invested heavily in
subprime mortgage-backed securities also reported
significant losses. Defaults and losses on other loan
types also increased as the crisis expanded from the
housing market to other parts of the economy. Total
losses are estimated in the multi- trillions world-wide.

So far, here in the U.S., over 4 million homes have been
foreclosed on since mid-2006. Because consumer spending
drops drastically whenever housing values decline, the
entire U.S. economy has been in a tail-spin throughout
this period. Over 10 million jobs have been totally
eliminated due to a dramatic drop in consumer sales and
the resultant decline in production.

Throughout this whole process, California has been one
of the most heavily hit states in the union. This is
because California was one of the principal areas where
the housing bubble developed, due largely to it's
connection with the Pacific Rim economies, and the fact
that large numbers of people have migrated to California
from other states, as well as from other countries, in
order to benefit from its economy.

Here in Los Angeles County, there have been over 100,000
mortgage foreclosures within the past twelve months.
Approximately 60,000 of these foreclosures have occurred
here within the City of Los Angeles itself.

Nationally, there are currently over 7 million American
households that are 1-3 months in arrears in meeting
their mortgage payments. 6 million of these are more
than 60 days late.This means that one in seven American
households is receiving foreclosure notices from their
bank or mortgage-holder during any given month. Not all
of these homes will fall fully into foreclosure, but the
fact that so many families and individuals are scraping
by so closely to the financial default line is a symptom
of just how seriously the economic crisis is impacting
our communities on the "ground level".

Thus far, while the banks and Wall Street stock
investors have been more than successful in getting
hundreds of billions of tax-payer's dollars in federal
financial assistance to ward off the effects of a crisis
that was largely caused by their own speculative
practices in the mortgage-trading markets, homeowners,
who have paid most of these taxes, have taken a back
seat in the process of applying "bail-out" policies to
put a brake on the collapse of our economy.

As a result, not only are larger and larger numbers of
American individuals and families, of all economic
backgrounds, finding themselves totally dispossessed of
their homes and deep in debt, but a much larger
proportion of the entire population is finding its
financial resources being rapidly depleted, and both
their long and short-range economic prospects are
sliding further and further in the same downward
directions.

Due to the general decline in property values, literally
millions of homeowners have experienced a significant
loss in equity (value) in their homes. In many cases,
they are paying for mortgages much higher than the
current market value of the home itself, whether or not
they're having trouble meeting their payments. The total
loss in U.S. homeowner equity since 2006 is well over 4
trillion dollars-three times the 1.4 trillion dollar
national debt that so many have been so agitated about
over the past several years.

Many homeowners who have managed not to fall into
foreclosure or miss their monthly mortgage payments as
of yet, have only managed to do so by leaning more and
more heavily on credit cards in order to cover their
day-to-day expenses on everything from food, clothing,
transportation, and general household needs to their
personal and family entertainment. Overall, Americans
are now carrying about $930 billion in revolving debt, a
type of debt that is almost entirely made up of credit
card balances, according to the most recent data from
the  Federal Reserve. As of March, credit card holders
were paying an average interest rate of 13.08 percent on
that debt. It is those who have lost their jobs or
suffered reductions in their working hours or rates of
pay who are most likely to be forced to use their credit
cards; and at a time when most other consumers are
trying to drastically cut back on credit card use and
when monthly interest rates and penalties are steadily
being raised by the banks.

This dynamic, in which credit card debt is now very
closely tied to unemployment, underemployment, and
declining personal solvency, has resulted in massive
losses to the banks and other card lenders. In 2009,
banks were forced to write-off over 83 billion dollars
in credit card debt as totally uncollectible, due mostly
to unemployment. During the first two quarters of this
year, defaults on credit card debts averaged between
10-12% for most credit card issuers, despite efforts to
limit credit card use by more "risky" clients.

While the Obama administration has earmarked over $75
billion for mortgage relief, through a variety of means,
including the renegotiation of mortgages, the banks have
been dragging their feet in actually helping to mitigate
the effects of the collapse of the real estate market on
mortgage borrowers. As a result, mortgage foreclosures
hit the highest rates on record last year (over 985,000)
with everyone predicting an even higher rate this year.
(1-1.3 million homes will be lost according to both HUD
and the  National Association of Mortgage Lenders.) Up
until March of this year, less than 200,000 homeowners
had successfully been able to re-adjust their loans
through programs sponsored solely by the banks, and less
than one third of the 1.2 million applicants for
government-sponsored programs have been able to do so
(only 340,000), as of July 15th.

Again, as the past 3 years have illustrated, when the
housing sector of the economy is "in the red", the
entire economy is dragged down. The failure to end the
decline in housing values is the largest single factor
militating against a general recovery of the consumer
market, and tightening of consumer spending restricts
production, sales and employment. According to the
Federal Reserve Board, it is unlikely that the 10
million jobs that have been totally eliminated from our
economy due to these conditions could be replaced in
anything less than 5-7 years-IF the economy recovers.
But, if the latest figures on foreclosures, new housing
sales, consumer sales, and bank failures are any
indication, which they are, we are about to experience
another major drop in property values, which means that
the economy as a whole will fall even deeper into
recession/depression sometime within the next 6-9
months.

In the midst of all this chaos and economic confusion,
groups like the so-called "Tea Party" have emerged,
intent on promoting a politics of devisiveness and
scapegoating. They, and other similar groups have
consciously worked to undermine the functioning of
government in general, and the Obama administration in
particular. Instead of attacking the problems that
plague our society, our economy, and our political
system, they have done everything possible to hamstring
efforts to relieve the effects of crisis on those most
in need of help-even their own members!

It is in this situation that the  Coffee Party has
emerged. The Coffee Party is a grassroots movement of
concerned Americans of every ethnic and political
persuasion. The Coffee Party works to give a voice to
Americans who want to see cooperation within
governmentand within our communities to develop creative
solutions to our pressing social, economic and political
problems. We see government in itself as not the enemy
of the people, but rather as a vehicle that must serve
our collective will. We believe that we must participate
in the democratic process in order to address the
challenges that we face as Americans. As voters and
grassroots volunteers, we support leaders who work
toward positive solutions that benefit all Americans,
and we hold accountable those who obstruct those
solutions. The Coffee Party is not affiliated with any
established political party. The Coffee Party is fully
committed to restoring civility in political discourse,
mutual respect in personal and political relations and
genuine democracy in the day-to-day workings of our
society. We are, in fact, a non-partisan democracy
movement.

The Campaign To Stop Mortgage Foreclosures Here in Los
Angeles, the Coffee Party has initiated a campaign to
Stop Mortgage Foreclosures.

    - We have begun to educate ourselves on the origin,
    significance and character of the the mortgage
    foreclosure crisis, and its' relationship to the
    broader economic crisis.

    - We have begun to work with community-based
    organizations and local elected officials to
    identify and address some of the most critical
    issues connected with the foreclosure crisis.

    - We have initiated public actions at local banks to
    draw public attention to the foreclosure issue and
    the need to organize our community to bring pressure
    on the banks and public officials to provide
    immediate relief to families and individuals who are
    in danger of losing their homes due to the current
    financial crisis. We agree with President Obama when
    he says: "Our commitment is to the taxpayer. Our
    commitment is to recover every dime that the
    American people are owed.We want our money back-and
    we're going to get it."

    - We are now in the process of initiating a door-to-
    door effort to directly organize homeowners, tenants
    and all other community residents who want to bring
    an end to the massive loss of homes and property in
    our communities. Part of this effort is directed
    toward connecting homeowners with free, legitimate
    counseling services that can help them negotiate on
    their own behalf with banks and lending institutions
    to save their homes. The other part of our campaign
    is to organize homeowners and other community
    residents politically to ensure that everything
    which can be done by local, state and national
    government to assist homeowners, tenants, small
    businesses and our community at large is being
    done-and with dispatch. Our campaign slogans are: "
    Wake Up, Stand Up", "Bail Out Main Street, Not Wall
    Street!", and "Stop Mortgage Foreclosures Now!".

Members of the Echo Park-Silver Lake Chapter of the
Coffee Party have been working with a number of
community organizations, local elected officials and
concerned individuals who understand the seriousness of
the foreclosure crisis and the need to activate our
communities to respond to it. We invite all who share
our concerns and our commitment to grassroots democracy
to join us in this effort at whatever level seems
appropriate in terms of time, energy and material
resources. We are more than willing to meet with any
such groups or individuals to provide more specific
information about the Foreclosure Campaign and explore
the possibilities of a cooperative effort, at any level.

Current Plans and Needs Currently, we are training
volunteers who will work in teams doing door-to-door
outreach in areas where foreclosures and pre-
foreclosures are concentrated. We will be providing
interested homeowners and community residents with free
information on what to do if you are having trouble
making payments, or your bank has already served a
foreclosure notice.

Congressman Xavier Becerra has agreed to host a town
hall meeting with homeowners who we've connected with,
probably in September, to hear their issues and see
what can be done about their needs-both in Congress,
and here in his district. We will be doing similar work
with other elected officials as well.

El Centro del Pueblo has agreed to help us to translate
some of our information from English to Spanish. They
have indicated an interest in assisting us in other
areas as well.

We are certainly looking for any assistance with
translations that we can get. We are also especially
interested in Spanish-speaking volunteers to do door-to-
door work.

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [log in to unmask]
Submit via the Web: portside.org/submit