PORTSIDELABOR Archives

January 2012, Week 5

PORTSIDELABOR@LISTS.PORTSIDE.ORG

From:
Portside Labor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:42:25 -0500
Kaiser Permanente Caregivers To Strike Statewide
Tuesday

By Rachel Raskin Zrihen

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_19816422

Thousands of Kaiser Permanente employees, including
hundreds in Vallejo, will walk off the job Tuesday in
what organizers say is the largest such action in the
HMO's history.

While recognizing their right to do so, Kaiser
officials expressed "disappointment and concern"
Tuesday over next week's work stoppage, particularly
among its nurses who promise a sympathy strike.

"We believe this action is expressly prohibited in our
contract with the nurses' union, and we have taken
legal action in federal court," Kaiser's senior vice
president Gay Westfall said in a statement. Kaiser
facilities are prepared for the strike and will remain
open, he said.

The National Union of Healthcare Workers (NUHW), which
represents mental health professionals and optical
workers, will hold a 24-hour statewide strike Tuesday.
Kaiser Vallejo's 70 NUHW members and most if not all of
its 1,500 nurses plan to participate, union officials
said.

"Nurses throughout the Northern California region are
going on a sympathy strike to support our coworkers who
are having massive heath care and retiree benefits
(taken away)," nurses union spokeswoman Deborah Burger
said.

Though Kaiser's nurses recently approved a contract
good until 2014, they are walking out...

continue reading this article at the link below:

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_19816422

world and to change it.